8/23 Game Thread - Nova v Stros

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Nova is pitching a very good game. Maybe he is this years J A Happ.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

5D7F6C717277707F5C6B7D7D711E0 wrote: The Good News ... Mets lead Cards 3-0 in the 1st

The Bad News ... Niese is starting for the Mets.

Cards get 3 off Niese and now trail 4-3.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

First walk as a pirate. :o
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

535F5E050C050D00071802350 wrote: Nova is pitching a very good game. Maybe he is this years J A Happ.

An absolute gem. +1 for Neal on this trade so far.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Love the CG!
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Nova has been very solid through 4 starts. He gave the Pirates exactly what they needed tonight. Hopefully Cole takes notice and does the same thing tomorrow afternoon. Cole really needs to pitch a good game tomorrow.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

The Royals beat the Marlins 1-0. The Bucs are now 1 game back of the Marlins as they gain a game back from the weekend.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Once again, tomorrow we are faced with one of these dreaded situations where EVERYTHING (in theory) points in the Pirates' favor.

* Pirates at home

* Pirates starting Gerrit Cole (used to be a good thing).

* Astros starting someone named Collin McHugh. His ERA is 5.00. In his last 5 starts he has allowed 40 hits and 24 runs. He is a bad pitcher.

* You would THINK the Pirates should be able to win what is basically a MUST WIN tomorrow to take this series. But Cole has not proven he can win a big game lately. I can easily see him doing his standard 5 IP, 5 runs, 98 pitches. And the Pirates have not proven they can score against rotten pitching.

* Things need to change tomorrow. The Pirates HAVE to have it.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

Didn't get to watch, but I love to have someone who did comment.

The box showed Nova's Ground Ball outs to Fly Balls outs at 15 to 2. I've seen him pitch a couple of times and he threw a lot of long fly ball outs. What happened? Anyone notice? Is he getting more run on his fastballs, maybe throwing more two seamers now? Is he throwing his curve to location better?

His previous three games were 10/10 in a win against Cincy; 4/18 in his win at LA (remember how many long outs were recorded that game); then 8/5 in his SF win. Tonight's line is a huge difference. Almost stunning. Is that stat correct?
Tintin

Post by Tintin »

7150454C744D56455041240 wrote: Didn't get to watch, but I love to have someone who did comment.

The box showed Nova's Ground Ball outs to Fly Balls outs at 15 to 2. I've seen him pitch a couple of times and he threw a lot of long fly ball outs. What happened? Anyone notice? Is he getting more run on his fastballs, maybe throwing more two seamers now? Is he throwing his curve to location better?

His previous three games were 10/10 in a win against Cincy; 4/18 in his win at LA (remember how many long outs were recorded that game); then 8/5 in his SF win. Tonight's line is a huge difference. Almost stunning. Is that stat correct?

He was fantastic. First strikes all night. They were defending the plate and taking uncomfortable swings all night.

I wish Cole would take a lesson on this start and have faith in his stuff and throw strikes.