Glasnow...What to do?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

notes34

Glasnow...What to do?

Post by notes34 »

604647504656250 wrote: The thing to do was trade him last winter when he had tons of potential and was labeled a top prospect. I saw him last year, and I watched him in the minors. This is what you get. The difference is he strikes out minor league hitters. Until he consistently throws strikes, guys are just going to take pitches until he has to throw one down the middle. (If he can) I don't see it sorry. He has a very good FB but it is hittable.

This goes to the Pirates evaluation of their own players.  If they had any idea that he would struggle this badly this year, then it would have made sense to deal him last winter if the return was high.
Yep. I was adamant after seeing him that he should be traded. There are so many things he has to work on. He can't hold runners, he of course has issues throwing strikes, the curve is good, but the change stinks. He is a true project. I just believe the Pirates got this one wrong and now he is going to be given a very long leash to try and figure things out.
Bobster21

Glasnow...What to do?

Post by Bobster21 »

4D4C5746501017230 wrote: The thing to do was trade him last winter when he had tons of potential and was labeled a top prospect. I saw him last year, and I watched him in the minors. This is what you get. The difference is he strikes out minor league hitters. Until he consistently throws strikes, guys are just going to take pitches until he has to throw one down the middle. (If he can) I don't see it sorry. He has a very good FB but it is hittable.

This goes to the Pirates evaluation of their own players.  If they had any idea that he would struggle this badly this year, then it would have made sense to deal him last winter if the return was high.
Yep. I was adamant after seeing him that he should be traded. There are so many things he has to work on. He can't hold runners, he of course has issues throwing strikes, the curve is good, but the change stinks. He is a true project. I just believe the Pirates got this one wrong and now he is going to be given a very long leash to try and figure things out.

I guess Glasnow has 1 more option. That shortens the leash somewhat.
SCBucco

Glasnow...What to do?

Post by SCBucco »

476160776171020 wrote: The thing to do was trade him last winter when he had tons of potential and was labeled a top prospect. I saw him last year, and I watched him in the minors. This is what you get. The difference is he strikes out minor league hitters. Until he consistently throws strikes, guys are just going to take pitches until he has to throw one down the middle. (If he can) I don't see it sorry. He has a very good FB but it is hittable.

The Atlanta Braves were geniuses back int he day relative to know when to unload a prospect who everyone thought was a stud only to turn into a dud. I wish we had that type of tendency.
dmetz

Glasnow...What to do?

Post by dmetz »

36372C3D2B6B6C580 wrote: The thing to do was trade him last winter when he had tons of potential and was labeled a top prospect. I saw him last year, and I watched him in the minors. This is what you get. The difference is he strikes out minor league hitters. Until he consistently throws strikes, guys are just going to take pitches until he has to throw one down the middle. (If he can) I don't see it sorry. He has a very good FB but it is hittable.

His fastball probably isn't accurate enough for his curve to play properly.  There are quite a few guys with high walk rates who can still survive because they have such high k rates, but he has to induce swings or he has no realistic chance of survival.

I watched the replay of the game and he just has no fastball command at all.  Yes, he got jobbed on a couple calls, but he was all over the place with his heater (again)

He has trouble  even locating it on the correct side of the plate where his catcher is set up,  let alone hit a particular spot.

I know the drill.  We want to blame umps.  We want to blame who catches him.  We want to blame bad luck.   Watching that game closely, it's my opinion that a few bad calls magnified a poor performance anyway.   Even if the calls are right, he's still all over the place

The kid isn't even close
skinnyhorse

Glasnow...What to do?

Post by skinnyhorse »

I watched the game and it was obvious to me that Thames new the curve ball was coming. I wonder if he's tipping off his pitches. The Thames home run was the only one I really noticed but you would think the coaches would catch that. If the hitter knows what's coming then that cuts down his chances of success tremendously. Agree he's wild and I didn't like the way Diaz was setting up outside he was way outside and if the ball drifted back he was backhanding it and there's no chance you get the call. Again you would think the coaching staff would catch that, it was really bad the way Diaz was setting up for outside pitches. I think the batter could tell with good peripheral vision, I really wonder why these coaches can't see some of these things. May it's because he throws so hard Diaz thought he had to be that far outside.
Bobster21

Glasnow...What to do?

Post by Bobster21 »

I rewatched Glasnow's 2.2 innings. The ump got a lot of attention because of the horrendous call on the 3-2 pitch to Walker. But otherwise, this was just an awful game by Glasnow. There were only 2 other pitches called balls that were in the strike zone: a 2-2 pitch to Thames in the first and the first pitch to Andersen in the second. On the other hand, Glasnow's first pitch of the game was high out of the strike zone but was called a strike. He was consistently wild high, wild low and wild outside. The walk to Walker was bogus but the other 5 walks were all on Glasnow. He went to 3-2 on the first 4 batters of the game. All legit calls. The bad call on the 3-2 to Walker wouldn't have mattered if the first 3 pitches to him hadn't all been nowhere near the plate. He went to 3-2 on one batter in the 2nd. In the third, he threw a 4-pitch walk with nothing near the zone and went to 3-2 on two more batters before being removed. It took 77 pitches to go 2.2 innings because so many pitches to so many batters were wild. Glasnow got jobbed on the 3-2 pitch to Walker after already throwing 3 wild ones to him. But the rest of his bad outing was entirely his own fault.
IABucFan

Glasnow...What to do?

Post by IABucFan »

I have no idea what to do with Glasnow. He clearly has the stuff to be successful. His AAA track record shows that. I don't recall a pitcher who was just dominant at AAA, but got consistently rocked in MLB. It's the same size plate, same size mound, same strike zone, same ball, still 60' 6". I believe the problem has to be primarily between the ears. Which is why I don't give up on him. Rather than send him to winter ball, I'd send him to a sports psychologist.
JollyRoger

Glasnow...What to do?

Post by JollyRoger »

161E1D2A3C193E315F0 wrote: I have no idea what to do with Glasnow. He clearly has the stuff to be successful. His AAA track record shows that. I don't recall a pitcher who was just dominant at AAA, but got consistently rocked in MLB. It's the same size plate, same size mound, same strike zone, same ball, still 60' 6". I believe the problem has to be primarily between the ears. Which is why I don't give up on him. Rather than send him to winter ball, I'd send him to a sports psychologist.

That certainly worked for John Smoltz
CTBucco

Glasnow...What to do?

Post by CTBucco »

I would let him get in the starts the rest of this year. If he doesn't show significant progress in those games (maybe this was a rust -

long layoff? - and nerves issue?), then I'd give him the Trevor Williams treatment. Let him learn to be a major leaguer in the bullpen. Ray can work closely with him.

I didn't think sending him down was best for him. It had to restore his confidence given how he dominated at Indy, but I wasn't convinced that he'd not learn a lot since he had been able to dominate on two pitches with so-so control before. He's got to learn to handle ML hitters that won't swing at FB's out of the zone and can foul off (or clobber) ones in the zone.
notes34

Glasnow...What to do?

Post by notes34 »

5D5556617752757A140 wrote: I have no idea what to do with Glasnow. He clearly has the stuff to be successful. His AAA track record shows that. I don't recall a pitcher who was just dominant at AAA, but got consistently rocked in MLB. It's the same size plate, same size mound, same strike zone, same ball, still 60' 6". I believe the problem has to be primarily between the ears. Which is why I don't give up on him. Rather than send him to winter ball, I'd send him to a sports psychologist.
The problem is it isn't the same hitters! MLB hitters will lay off, especially if he is extremely wild like his last start. Hitters will just wait on a straight fast ball and crush it.