Game thread: Bucs vs. Dodgers 4/27/19

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

steve49

Post by steve49 »

183D3E3E2B003D353720520 wrote: The typical bases loaded no outs and ZIPPO!

Had 2-3-4 up.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

4 games losing streaks don't happen to great teams, 5 game losing streaks don't happen to good teams, 6 games losing streaks happen to bad teams, 7 game losing streak happens to badly coached/ran teams. This team is desperate for a change in leadership, but Nutting knows nothing about baseball and is totally dependent on an incompetent FO. Meanwhile the Pirate baseball community suffer these insufferable clowns.

CH and NH will blame all the injuries to deflect their incompetence and the beat goes on. Soooooooo tired of these clowns.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

A great example of our great FO and our great coaching staff.  A pitcher who can't throw strikes isn't a pitcher.  Plus TB got Meadows another top prospect just so NH could show he was really trying to win, when he really has no clue on how to win.

Chris Archer

W-L     IP H R BB HR SO  ERA

As of 04/27

Dodgers 1-2 4.0 6 6 3 2 3 4.33

Giants        1-1 5.0 6 3 2 1 2 2.74

Season       1-2   27.0    23     13    12      5     29 4.33

Tyler Glasnow

W-L       IP H R BB HR SO ERA

04/21     4-0 5.1 3 2 3 1 5 1.53

Orioles    4-0 7.0 7 2 0 0 3 1.13

Season   4-0    29.1   21 5 6 2 29 1.53
steve49

Post by steve49 »

796163646473626578796F0A0 wrote: A great example of our great FO and our great coaching staff.  A pitcher who can't throw strikes isn't a pitcher.  Plus TB got Meadows another top prospect just so NH could show he was really trying to win, when he really has no clue on how to win.

Chris Archer

W-L     IP H R BB HR SO  ERA

As of 04/27

Dodgers 1-2 4.0 6 6 3 2 3 4.33

Giants        1-1 5.0 6 3 2 1 2 2.74

Season       1-2   27.0    23     13    12      5     29 4.33

Tyler Glasnow

W-L       IP H R BB HR SO ERA

04/21     4-0 5.1 3 2 3 1 5 1.53

Orioles    4-0 7.0 7 2 0 0 3 1.13

Season   4-0    29.1   21 5 6 2 29 1.53

I hated to be right but it is what it is. When this trade was made I said total disaster saying Glasnow alone would prove to be worth more than Archer. I received a lot of flack and those people now say that Glasnow would not develop in Pittsburgh. Don't be surprised to also get burned by Baz.
NJBucsFan

Post by NJBucsFan »

594143444453424558594F2A0 wrote: 4 games losing streaks don't happen to great teams, 5 game losing streaks don't happen to good teams, 6 games losing streaks happen to bad teams, 7 game losing streak happens to badly coached/ran teams.  This team is desperate for a change in leadership, but Nutting knows nothing about baseball and is totally dependent on an incompetent FO.  Meanwhile the Pirate baseball community suffer these insufferable clowns.

CH and NH will blame all the injuries to deflect their incompetence and the beat goes on.  Soooooooo tired of these clowns.

I'm not saying this is a good team, it is not. However both the 1998 Yankees and the 2001 Mariners had four game losing streaks. The 2000 Yankees lost eight in a row and won the World Series. Streaks happen.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

60646C5B4D5D684F402E0 wrote: 4 games losing streaks don't happen to great teams, 5 game losing streaks don't happen to good teams, 6 games losing streaks happen to bad teams, 7 game losing streak happens to badly coached/ran teams.  This team is desperate for a change in leadership, but Nutting knows nothing about baseball and is totally dependent on an incompetent FO.  Meanwhile the Pirate baseball community suffer these insufferable clowns.

CH and NH will blame all the injuries to deflect their incompetence and the beat goes on.  Soooooooo tired of these clowns.

I'm not saying this is a good team, it is not. However both the 1998 Yankees and the 2001 Mariners had four game losing streaks. The 2000 Yankees lost eight in a row and won the World Series. Streaks happen.

Exactly my point I did say streaks it's the 1st month of the season and we've already had 1 eight games losing streak and it's the 1st month of the season and believe me they'll be more 6 or more game losing steaks by this team it's pretty obvious.  CH is very comfortable with his station in life and career, he's making good money and not under any pressure.  Problem is this team and community need to win, because it could cost the community a professional baseball team which will have a horrible economic impact.  It's time for CH and NH to go and Pittsburgh hire someone who is driven to win and restore great baseball to this once great franchise.  I'm not going to hold my breath, but I can dream can't I.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

425A585F5F48595E434254310 wrote: 4 games losing streaks don't happen to great teams, 5 game losing streaks don't happen to good teams, 6 games losing streaks happen to bad teams, 7 game losing streak happens to badly coached/ran teams.  This team is desperate for a change in leadership, but Nutting knows nothing about baseball and is totally dependent on an incompetent FO.  Meanwhile the Pirate baseball community suffer these insufferable clowns.

Exactly my point I did say streaks it's the 1st month of the season and we've already had 1 eight games losing streak and it's the 1st month of the season and believe me they'll be more 6 or more game losing steaks by this team it's pretty obvious.  CH is very comfortable with his station in life and career, he's making good money and not under any pressure.  Problem is this team and community need to win, because it could cost the community a professional baseball team which will have a horrible economic impact.  It's time for CH and NH to go and Pittsburgh hire someone who is driven to win and restore great baseball to this once great franchise.  I'm not going to hold my breath, but I can dream can't I.
Skinny, the problem is that Nutting has no interest in restoring great baseball. He's making a profit with low payroll and high revenue including MLB's luxury tax welfare payments as well as the 50 million he received last year from the Disney deal. Nutting is very satisfied with the subpar performances of CH and NH and extended them both 4 years. He knows a new GM or new mgr won't make a difference with his bargain basement rosters. As fans, we're looking for significant improvement including the people who make the team's decisions (mgr and GM). But that's in contrast to TBMTIB, which is quite satisfied with the status quo. Equating that to on field issues, let's suppose Bell compensates for his inability to field or throw by hitting 40 HRs. He's eligible for arbitration next year. Are the odds better that TBMTIB would pay him and build around him or move him to avoid paying him. I think we know the answer to that. :(
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

1F323F2E29382F6F6C5D0 wrote: 4 games losing streaks don't happen to great teams, 5 game losing streaks don't happen to good teams, 6 games losing streaks happen to bad teams, 7 game losing streak happens to badly coached/ran teams.  This team is desperate for a change in leadership, but Nutting knows nothing about baseball and is totally dependent on an incompetent FO.  Meanwhile the Pirate baseball community suffer these insufferable clowns.

Skinny, the problem is that Nutting has no interest in restoring great baseball. He's making a profit with low payroll and high revenue including MLB's luxury tax welfare payments as well as the 50 million he received last year from the Disney deal. Nutting is very satisfied with the subpar performances of CH and NH and extended them both 4 years. He knows a new GM or new mgr won't make a difference with his bargain basement rosters. As fans, we're looking for significant improvement including the people who make the team's decisions (mgr and GM). But that's in contrast to TBMTIB, which is quite satisfied with the status quo. Equating that to on field issues, let's suppose Bell compensates for his inability to field or throw by hitting 40 HRs. He's eligible for arbitration next year. Are the odds better that TBMTIB would pay him and build around him or move him to avoid paying him. I think we know the answer to that.   :(
So drastic decline in attendance isn't going to affect his income, certainly will affect the community. I understand economics and thousands of fewer fans will have an impact. Those fans by beer, hot dogs, etc. Millions are being lost by this clown show. I believe there is pressure to win that's why NH made a show trade last August. Many on this board and NH think if we just spend more money we can win, I don't and dast August just proved that wrong, you see you have to have someone who can identify good players and know how to develop the ones you already have to be the best they can be and even excel. CH is very comfortable and BS's the FO into thinking he's got a good plan and he doesn't. CH time has long since past, he has no fire in his belly to win. We're never going to compete with the money NYY or LAD can throw at players. A team like the Pirates are going to have to work harder, be smarter, be aggressive, take chances. The Cardinals are one franchise that's done just that, they're not a huge city, but they are very smart and have won by being a smart organization. With their success they have huge crowds which allows them to have money to spend, but they in general spend their money wisely. They let Albert Pujols, Carlos Beltran, Lance Lynn, Jason Heyward walk because of their huge salary demands, and there are many more examples. It starts at the top and unless we start there we're never going to be able to pay for good players.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Skinny, I agree with you. But Nutting doesn't seem to care. But I don't think fans want him to spend just for the sake of spending. They wouldn't be any happier if he was spending a lot but still losing. I agree that a great reduction in attendance means less revenue and I'm sure Nutting is aware of that. And it shouldn't be necessary to be among the top spenders to compete. The Pirates say their plan is to build from within but they are doing a poor job of developing their prospects into top tier major leaguers. So the plan to build from within is not going well and Nutting won't supplement the players being developed by raising the payroll to sign productive FAs or to trade for productive players who come with big contracts. I'm sure he realizes that losing and low attendance go hand in hand but he seems ok with that as long as his operation is profitable. He won't spend so he needs less revenue and he seems satisfied with the people running the organization who are failing to adequately build from within. As you said, it starts at the top. I believe that's the biggest problem with this organization and as long as Nutting is satisfied with his management team, it's difficult to foresee significant improvement.