The Official This Guy's A Bust Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

ChillinStation

Post by ChillinStation »

Hayes not a bust.

Jeff King Pirates production is Hayes ceiling, that`s what I`m thinking ;)

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Found missing thread.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

found
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I'll go so far as to add Bryce Wilson- as a starting pitcher. Doesn't have what it takes. Might make it in a different role.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4D786F6F645D6F6F64636F0A0 wrote: I'll go so far as to add Bryce Wilson- as a starting pitcher.  Doesn't have what it takes.  Might make it in a different role. 
Wilson is not an MLB caliber pitcher.

Career stats:

ERA: 5.94

WHIP: 1.617

IP: 145.1, Hits 174

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... br02.shtml
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

He was worth the shot, but, everybody knows that teams in our range can afford very few misses.  SP is a key component to success.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Clearly, Hayes is not a bust. However, he is not the salvation that the Pirates are hyping. I agree with the statement from Jolly Roger (one I also made several weeks ago) that unless Hayes miraculously develops 15 HR power, the Bucs likely will need to find a long-term alternative at third.

With respect to other players that appear to be a bust on the current roster, I offer my comments.

Pitchers coming up through the Pirate system:

Keller. His fastball doesn't regularly fool many hitters, and his secondary pitches are below average. He also often has lousy control. That said, he would rather see him in the pen and enter a game at the beginning of an inning than Beede or Hembree.

Brubaker was a Pirate pitcher of the year in the minors. Bucs likely need to stick with him to see if there is any hope of growth (they have no other realistic options), but time is starting to run a bit short.

Somewhat surprisingly, there are no other pitchers on the active 26 man roster who were originally drafted by the Pirates.

Pitchers acquired from other teams.

Bryce Wilson is not doing well. Perhaps the most important thing he has going for him is his age. Clearly not a starting pitcher this year, and the only reason I'd use him in the pen at this point is that there are no other realistic options on the 40 man roster.

Heath Hembree. I understand taking a chance on a reliever who experienced some success in the majors in the past, but he is not performing well.

Position players.

Cole Tucker. Always sad to see yet another 1st round pick wash out. Tucker had a nice (albeit short) run at the end of last season, but that appears to be an outlier. He did not hit at the beginning of this year, and he was striking out at an alarming rate before his demotion to the minors.

Kevin Newman. If Newman cannot at least look like a reasonable facsimile of the player who hit .300+ in 2019, and continues to have an OPS in the .600 range, I would consider Newman a bust based on his first round selection. I was never a big Jack Wilson fan, but I would prefer Wilson over Newman. This should be Newman's last year with wither Peguero or Cruz in the wings.

Tucker and Newman are two of only 3 players (Hayes is the other) drafted/signed by the Pirates who are on the 40 man roster and that have more than half a season of experience in the majors. I believe it is way to early to label Castro a failure, particularly since the Pirates essentially pushed him to the majors from AA (last year).

On the position player front acquired from other organizations:

Tsutsugo appears to be a pumpkin, and not the golden nugget that the Pirates scrapped off the waiver wire last year.

Josh VanMeter, however, it is somewhat difficult to label him a bust when he is simply playing down to his norms.

Michael Perez, emergency acquisition catcher, however, like VanMeter, he is largely playing to his career norms.