Pirates vs Tigers 6/19

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Pirates vs Tigers 6/19

Post by Bobster21 »

Wow, Joe Block going on and on about whether it might rain and all the different possibilities if it does. Just stop talking, Joe. He's so annoying.
SCBucco

Pirates vs Tigers 6/19

Post by SCBucco »

6542496A270 wrote: I did not see that comeback coming.

We have a good offense (can't believe I said that but we do). We are playing Detroit, not Minnesota. Jordan Zimmerman used to be good. I can see him here down the road as a reclamation project, sadly.
Bobster21

Pirates vs Tigers 6/19

Post by Bobster21 »

We had 'em all the way! :D :D :D
CarolinaBucco

Pirates vs Tigers 6/19

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Nice to get a rare home win last night.

The Pirates have the best road record among all NL Central teams.

But their home record is a disaster.

DemDog

Pirates vs Tigers 6/19

Post by DemDog »

537E73626574632320110 wrote: Wow, Joe Block going on and on about whether it might rain and all the different possibilities if it does. Just stop talking, Joe. He's so annoying.

Annoying is too polite Bobster. He is a disaster in front of the cameras as well as behind the mike. Oh for a return of Milo or Lanny. And even the late Paul Long. Anybody but Block.
JollyRoger

Pirates vs Tigers 6/19

Post by JollyRoger »

517078517A72150 wrote: Wow, Joe Block going on and on about whether it might rain and all the different possibilities if it does. Just stop talking, Joe. He's so annoying.

Annoying is too polite Bobster.  He is a disaster in front of the cameras as well as behind the mike.  Oh for a return of Milo or Lanny.  And even the late Paul Long.  Anybody but Block. 

I have the Direct TV MLB package so I can watch my Bucs in Southern California. I also tune in to other teams games. If you heard most of the announcers on those broadcasts you would actually start liking Block. They are dreadful. Block does ramble on needlessly some time but some of these other guys are either asleep or think you are watching a silent picture. Very boring. With Vin Scully retiring and the death of Dick Enberg there are no Hall of Fame announcers left. I do think Greg Brown is great and I guess you could get used to that Yankee announcer with all the homer calls for each player.
SammyKhalifa

Pirates vs Tigers 6/19

Post by SammyKhalifa »

57727171644F727A786F1D0 wrote: Wow, Joe Block going on and on about whether it might rain and all the different possibilities if it does. Just stop talking, Joe. He's so annoying.

Annoying is too polite Bobster.  He is a disaster in front of the cameras as well as behind the mike.  Oh for a return of Milo or Lanny.  And even the late Paul Long.  Anybody but Block. 

I have the Direct TV MLB package so I can watch my Bucs in Southern California. I also tune in to other teams games. If you heard most of the announcers on those broadcasts you would actually start liking Block. They are dreadful. Block does ramble on needlessly some time but some of these other guys are either asleep or think you are watching a silent picture. Very boring. With Vin Scully retiring and the death of Dick Enberg there are no Hall of Fame announcers left. I do think Greg Brown is great and I guess you could get used to that Yankee announcer with all the homer calls for each player.
Yeah, either Greg Brown has gotten better over the years or I've just warmed up to him, as I think I like him better than Lanny now
Bobster21

Pirates vs Tigers 6/19

Post by Bobster21 »

47626161745F626A687F0D0 wrote: Wow, Joe Block going on and on about whether it might rain and all the different possibilities if it does. Just stop talking, Joe. He's so annoying.

I have the MLB Extra Innings package which gives you the home team's broadcast. The only out of town announcers I really like are the Reds. Very professional and not the blatant homers most are. Also, most don't do their homework (or rather their assistants don't) so we get a lot of misinformation about the Pirates. I think Greg Brown is excellent on PBP but I don't need his catch phrases and personalized HR calls (altho that's gotten better since he came up with "Cannonball Coming!" which he can use for anyone). But "trip, trip, triple" needs to go (makes me think of a group of pre-schoolers gathered around him).

Block just doesn't stop rambling about whatever comes to mind as he tries to milk 3 hours of talking out of every game. I'd much rather have an occasional few seconds of silence while watching the screen and hearing the crowd noise than have Block ramble endlessly about boring things for no apparent reason other than he feels he has to continue talking. Greg Brown does not take that approach and his broadcasts are far more enjoyable to me.
SammyKhalifa

Pirates vs Tigers 6/19

Post by SammyKhalifa »

1A373A2B2C3D2A6A69580 wrote: Wow, Joe Block going on and on about whether it might rain and all the different possibilities if it does. Just stop talking, Joe. He's so annoying.

I have the MLB Extra Innings package which gives you the home team's broadcast. The only out of town announcers I really like are the Reds. Very professional and not the blatant homers most are. Also, most don't do their homework (or rather their assistants don't) so we get a lot of misinformation about the Pirates. I think Greg Brown is excellent on PBP but I don't need his catch phrases and personalized HR calls (altho that's gotten better since he came up with "Cannonball Coming!" which he can use for anyone). But "trip, trip, triple" needs to go (makes me think of a group of pre-schoolers gathered around him).

Block just doesn't stop rambling about whatever comes to mind as he tries to milk 3 hours of talking out of every game. I'd much rather have an occasional few seconds of silence while watching the screen and hearing the crowd noise than have Block ramble endlessly about boring things for no apparent reason other than he feels he has to continue talking. Greg Brown does not take that approach and his broadcasts are far more enjoyable to me. 

I agree, but I think some of that comes with him working radio for so long, where "dead air"=bad. 

I think he tries to call radio and TV the same way which really shouldn't be.