Newman vs Kramer

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dmetz

Newman vs Kramer

Post by dmetz »

5D565E5257564D080E794058515656175A56390 wrote: Kramer was drafted out of High School, unlike Newman.  But then Newman was drafted over Kramer in 2015.  I just think it is interesting on who will get the call and hopefully good enough to stick.

Kramer was drafted out of college, UCLA.  He played SS there his first two years before having an arm injury (torn right/throwing labrum) that cost him his JR year.  He came back after the injury for his red-shirt JR year and hit well with a bump in power (.476 SLG%/.900+ OPS), but the shoulder recovery limited him to playing 2B. 

Reports on whether or not his arm strength recovered after the labrum surgery hurt his draft stock.  The fact that he has been largely limited to 2B in the Pirates' system is either an indication that his arm didn't recover, based on Newman being drafted as a SS out of college (Arizona) in the same draft and playing at the same level with better D to start, or a combination of the two.  Tucker being drafted at SS a year later has probably limited Kramer's chances of playing SS further.

Tucker and Newman are the best SS prospects in the system.  I don't think Kramer is seen as being able to play SS except maybe in a pinch now. 

Newman was supposed to have an advanced hit tool when drafted and has largely shown good contact and OBP skills without a lot of pop. I don't think he's expected to be more than a line drive hitter. Kramer's profile has been very similar until last year when he started to show a significant jump in power before he got hurt.

I don't know much about Kramer's D at 2B, but I have not heard anything negative. 

Kramer is a LHH while Newman is a RHH. Tucker is a switch hitter.

Kramer was drafted in the 25th round by Cleveland in 2011, but decided to go to UCLA. Newman was not drafted out of high school by anyone. Newman just went to Arizona after high school.

Good post. Good info. I still compare these two to [highlight]Mercer and d'Arnaud[/highlight].

Why?  Is that your way of saying we better keep looking for a future shortstop?  d'arnaud has still never hit AA pitching successfully, to this day, let alone MLB and he couldn't play short either despite the pirates moving Mercer off short to force it.     Other than that, he was great.   

I remember vividly how d'Arnaud was the future SS.  Oh what a talant down in Lynchburg..

Couldn't field SS and couldn't hit AA pitching. 

So hopefully, neither Kramer nor Newman are d'Arnaud in any way shape of form, since he was a very early bust of UNFORTUNATELY NH's BEST class still to this day... a decade later.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Newman vs Kramer

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I'm glad Mercer pulled ahead and the Pirates went with him over d'Arnaud. I'm hoping the same thing happens again, that's all.
CTBucco

Newman vs Kramer

Post by CTBucco »

6D666E6267667D383E497068616666276A66090 wrote:

Kramer was drafted out of college, UCLA. 

Kramer was drafted in the 25th round by Cleveland in 2011, but decided to go to UCLA. Newman was not drafted out of high school by anyone. Newman just went to Arizona after high school.

Good post. Good info. I still compare these two to Mercer and d'Arnaud.

D'oh. Clearly, I completely missed the fact that you were referring to Kramer's first drafting before he went to UCLA. My bad. :D

BTW, I agree that I have Kramer and Newman coupled in my memory as MIF prospects in the same way I did with D'Arnaud and Mercer. I also put Tucker and Newman together that way too.
dmetz

Newman vs Kramer

Post by dmetz »

7E757D7174756E2B2D5A637B7275753479751A0 wrote: I'm glad Mercer pulled ahead and the Pirates went with him over d'Arnaud. I'm hoping the same thing happens again, that's all.

Yeah, it was the right choice. I saw them both play in Altoona when they were forcing d'arnaud at SS. I remember beginning of the year he was all the hype and Mercer was the future ML UT guy, likely 3bman because of his size.

it became apparent pretty quickly d'Arnaud couldn't field the position well enough to be a starter. unfortunately and unexpectedly, he couldn't hit AA pitching well either.

Chase d'arnaud is the reason why I don't bother much with what a college hitter does too much in A+ ball (unless it's bad, if it's bad that's a real red flag). If it's good, thats good! but to be expected.

I want to see what AA does to them before I start thinking about their future in MLB
johnfluharty

Newman vs Kramer

Post by johnfluharty »

414840515F250 wrote: He's 23 and as has been mentioned, has played 4 pro games at SS.   Perhaps playing there in the AFL is an attempt to make him servicable at the spot from a UT standpoint?   

Someone who can play the position in a pinch.

I agree with Orlando... that it appears to me the bucs crossed him off the starting SS list shortly after he was drafted.    Now being able to fill-in there occasionally? different matter.  yeah maybe.    
You are probably right. The Pirates just love guys that can play all over the place.