Buccos1313

What Prospect could we get to play 3rd

Post by Buccos1313 »

Ryan Mcmahon
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

547974656273642427160 wrote: Jose Osuna
Osuna seems to have a good bad, which isn't easy with the limited PT he gets. He's taken some practice at 3B. I would like to see him get some time at 3B so that they can get an idea whether he can handle the position next year if needed.

The Pirates are way too conservative in this area. I recall when they realized Pedro had to be taken off 3B but said they wanted to give him the entire off season to prepare for 1B. Meanwhile, I watched Buck Showalter move Craig Reynolds from 3B in 2012 to 1B in mid season with no preparation. Reynolds struggled at 3B but immediately thrived at 1B. In 2015, Showalter put Steve Pearce at 2B with no prior experience just to get his bat in the lineup. This year he started 2Bman Schoop at SS. The point is if a mgr thinks a player might be able to handle a position, it's ok to try him there without a year to prepare. Osuna has been practicing at 3B. Give him a try.

I agree. Play him at third. What can it hurt at this point? Plus, they didn't hesitate putting him in the outfield. I just feel actually fielding the ball wouldn't be the struggle as he plays 1B. Covering bunts and cut offs would need some practice.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5E555D5154554E0B0D7A435B5255551459553A0 wrote: Jose Osuna
Osuna seems to have a good bad, which isn't easy with the limited PT he gets. He's taken some practice at 3B. I would like to see him get some time at 3B so that they can get an idea whether he can handle the position next year if needed.

The Pirates are way too conservative in this area. I recall when they realized Pedro had to be taken off 3B but said they wanted to give him the entire off season to prepare for 1B. Meanwhile, I watched Buck Showalter move Craig Reynolds from 3B in 2012 to 1B in mid season with no preparation. Reynolds struggled at 3B but immediately thrived at 1B. In 2015, Showalter put Steve Pearce at 2B with no prior experience just to get his bat in the lineup. This year he started 2Bman Schoop at SS. The point is if a mgr thinks a player might be able to handle a position, it's ok to try him there without a year to prepare. Osuna has been practicing at 3B. Give him a try.

I agree. Play him at third. What can it hurt at this point? Plus, they didn't hesitate putting him in the outfield. I just feel actually fielding the ball wouldn't be the struggle as he plays 1B. Covering bunts and cut offs would need some practice.
Good point! Moving across the infield from his normal 1B position is probably better than putting him in the OF (where he runs like a water buffalo). We know he has the arm for 3B. And if he can handle smashes from LH batters at 1B, he should be able to handle smashes to 3B by RH batters.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

Seems like the most interesting couple of prospects are really young. Ke Bran Hayes is 20 playing at Bradenton. Then they have a really big athletic kid , Sherten Apostle. He signed for 200K at 16 . Just turned 18 and having a really nice year in the DSL. Leads league in RBI's and walks. Sounds like he is being pitched around. Has 16 BB in last 10 games.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

S-Rod is back.

I'd still play Osuna some.
RichD

Post by RichD »

Astros just called up another 3b prospect JD to go along with Moran(DL). That`s 2 top prospects they have stacked behind Bregman.

Redsox have 2 guys almost ready.

We dont have crap .Hayes way far away and he is not much of a hitter yet.

And the guy we just drafted Craig has been moved to first which sucks because he can hit and could end up being a trade chip because of Josh Bell.

Sure the Pirates will will move Craig slowly ...Full season next year at AA then a full 1.5 years at AAA. Just in time to trade Bell as he get more expensive. :D
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

SROD is our 2018 starting 3b if Kang doesn't come back.

A player who has OPS'ed over .704 a SINGLE TIME in his career, and that was at the age of 31 in half a season of work (300 AB)

Nothing could go wrong with this plan... it's full-proof!
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

373E362729530 wrote: SROD is our 2018 starting 3b if Kang doesn't come back. 

A player who has OPS'ed over .704 a SINGLE TIME in his career, and that was at the age of 31 in half a season of work (300 AB)

As of today I believe you are on to something for next season. With guys like Harrison, SRod, Freese and Frazier the Pirates can alternate players between second and third base next season. JHay will get more playing time than the other three guys, but by alternating their play they will be rested and then possibly avoiding any extended slumps.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

3A36376C656C64696E716B5C0 wrote: SROD is our 2018 starting 3b if Kang doesn't come back. 

As of today I believe you are on to something for next season. With guys like Harrison, SRod, Freese and Frazier the Pirates can alternate players between second and third base next season.  JHay will get more playing time than the other three guys, but by alternating their play they will be rested and then possibly avoiding any extended slumps.

as of today this plan would mean relatively weak bats at short, catcher, and third base. Outfield, Bell and Harrison will really have to come through to have much of an offense.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The Bucs should consider sending Jose Osuna to winter ball to learn how to play third base. He has had a lot of clutch hits this season,and I think they should try to get him in the lineup on a more regular basis.