June

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CarolinaBucco

June

Post by CarolinaBucco »

If someone had told me that in the month of June ...

* The Pirates would hit their most home runs in a single month since August 2007 ... 15 years ago.

* And that Bryan Reynolds would be ON FIRE for most of the month.

I would have figured ... Man, that's going to be a great month.

Instead ... Buccos are 9-18, including 3-12 on the road.

This team is really good at doing just enough to lose.
SteadyFreddy

June

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Yea they have gone 1-7 and 1-5 on their last two road trips to Atlanta and St Louis and at Tampa and Washington winning the last game of the trip both times in St Louis and Washington. But yea at this point this season is pretty much over 75 games into the season from a wins and loss perspective and a “contending” standpoint not that they ever were in contention at any point because they really never were. There are 87 games left now I wanna see as many young guys come up here and play everyday these last 87 games and not have to see guys like VanMeter, Yoshi, Chang or even someone like Gamel. Newman should be traded as soon as you can get something for him. But pretty much the rest of this season is trial and error time. Play the young guys see what they got and hopefully they are much better for it next year when the team should be and is expected to be much better.
MaineBucs

June

Post by MaineBucs »

A couple of comments.

1) While everyone loves the long ball and power is important, someone else needs to be on base to have the home runs be more meaningful. As Bobster noted the other day, no one is hitting for average on the current team.

2) There are quite a few players on the current roster who could be gone tomorrow and no one would notice. We all know the names of at least 5 position players the team should move on from either or within the next 30 days. In no particular order: Chang, Tsutugo, Marisnick, Newman, Vogelbach, Gamel, and Van Meter. Perez could be added to the list as well, but hey, someone needs to catch. Out of the above list, Gamel would likely be the best one to keep because he could play first from time to time.

3) A number of the younger players who would get more playing time over the rest of the season will likely be found wanting and the team will need to similarly move on from them next year. Park, Chavis, and Castro strike me as likely candidates.

4) I particularly would like to see 2 players get some real playing time over the next 3 months; Marcano and Bae (I assume that Cruz, Madris, and Suwinski will get playing time).

Although he wasn't hitting for average at AA, Marcano was getting on base, playing great defense at second and adding speed to the line-up after he was recalled. A team that has trouble scoring must play good D, and speed can help steal a run or two.

I have never seen Bae play, but his numbers at AAA are impressive, and he can play both infield and outfield. He also will add more speed.

Also, with Nick Gonzalez now out for 2 months, it is unlikely that he would be ready for the majors at the start of next season.

5) Unless a trade would yield a real return, I would like to see the Pirates hang onto Quintana. Someone needs to suck up some innings, and I don't see any good candidates in the minors who will not be reaching the limit of innings that they should be pitching come mid-August.

Like all fans, I want to see the Pirates win ball games. Taking 5 of 6 from the Dodgers was great. That said, if the Pirates had to field a team of Tsutugo at first, VanMeter at 2nd, Newman at SS, Hayes at 3rd, an outfield of Gamel, Reynolds, and Marisnick, with Vogelbach to win games this year, I would rather experience the recent losing streaks going forward than to have the team finish the season with an extra 10 - 15 victories.

BC, time to move on from a non-team of very mediocre veterans and to give even more rookies a shot at playing time.
ArnoldRothstein

June

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

August 2007

That was a bizarre thing. Their monthly homers went 18, 19, 25, 21, 45, 20. They stayed somewhat jacked into 2008: 23, 35, 25, 32, 18, 20 (falling off after the Nady/Bay trades). They hit 180 homers in the 8/1/07-7/31/08 calendar year. Only four NL clubs hit more than 180 in 2007 and five in 2008, but the Pirates finished below league average in homers both years.

JollyRoger

June

Post by JollyRoger »

725E56515A7D4A5C4C3F0 wrote: A couple of comments.

1)  While everyone loves the long ball and power is important, someone else needs to be on base to have the home runs be more meaningful.  As Bobster noted the other day, no one is hitting for average on the current team.

2)  There are quite a few players on the current roster who could be gone tomorrow and no one would notice.  We all know the names of at least 5 position players the team should move on from either or within the next 30 days.  In no particular order: Chang, Tsutugo, Marisnick, Newman, Vogelbach, Gamel, and Van Meter.   Perez could be added to the list as well, but hey, someone needs to catch.  Out of the above list, Gamel would likely be the best one to keep because he could play first from time to time.

3)  A number of the younger players who would get more playing time over the rest of the season will likely be found wanting and the team will need to similarly move on from them next year.  Park, Chavis, and Castro strike me as likely candidates.

4)  I particularly would like to see 2 players get some real playing time over the next 3 months; Marcano and Bae (I assume that Cruz, Madris, and Suwinski will get playing time).

Although he wasn't hitting for average at AA, Marcano was getting on base, playing great defense at second and adding speed to the line-up after he was recalled.  A team that has trouble scoring must play good D, and speed can help steal a run or two.

I have never seen Bae play, but his numbers at AAA are impressive, and he can play both infield and outfield.  He also will add more speed.

Also, with Nick Gonzalez now out for 2 months, it is unlikely that he would be ready for the majors at the start of next season.

5)  Unless a trade would yield a real return, I would like to see the Pirates hang onto Quintana.  Someone needs to suck up some innings, and I don't see any good candidates in the minors who will not be reaching the limit of innings that they should be pitching come mid-August.

Like all fans, I want to see the Pirates win ball games.  Taking 5 of 6 from the Dodgers was great.  That said, if the Pirates had to field a team of Tsutugo at first, VanMeter at 2nd, Newman at SS, Hayes at 3rd, an outfield of Gamel, Reynolds, and Marisnick, with Vogelbach to win games this year, I would rather experience the recent losing streaks going forward than to have the team finish the season with an extra 10 - 15 victories.

BC, time to move on from a non-team of very mediocre veterans and to give even more rookies a shot at playing time.

Agree with every point in this post

Well done Mainer
WildwoodDave2

June

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

Brown just said that the 41 Home Runs the Bucs have hit

in the month of June, is a franchise record. Back in April

we never saw that coming
Surgnbuck

June

Post by Surgnbuck »

4C72777F6C74747F5F7A6D7E291B0 wrote: Brown just said that the 41 Home Runs the Bucs have hit

we never saw that coming
I think they moved up from 27th to 13th now for season HR's. 4th most in MLB over last 30 days
WildwoodDave2

June

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

735552474E4255434B200 wrote: Brown just said that the 41 Home Runs the Bucs have hit

we never saw that coming
I think they moved up from 27th to 13th now for season HR's. 4th most in MLB over last 30 days
Yes, looked it up this morning- Ranked 13. I mentioned before. The last time they finished higher than 25th was 2014
2drfischer@gmail.c

June

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

Who, back on April 1, could’ve foreseen the HR contributions by Suwinski and Castillo? They’ve been well above expectations during this first half. Good work by Cherington.