The Official This Guy's A Bust Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I should have had more vision.

Rather than list one specific player, of course, that causes automatic derailure. So, if you think a guy won't cut any mustard have at it, and we'll kick things around.

I'll start. I do not think that Hayes is a bust.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

0E3B2C2C271E2C2C27202C490 wrote: I should have had more vision. 

Rather than list one specific player, of course, that causes automatic derailure.   So, if you think a guy won't cut any mustard have at it, and we'll kick things around.

I'll start.  I do not think that Hayes is a bust.

agree Hayes isn't, Keller is.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Keller is a bust. He'll be replaced for sure. Questions are- ) By whom? and B) Will that guy be a bust, too?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Despite a few errors this year, Hayes is very solid in the field and a good line drive hitter. He is among NL leaders in exit velocity. But he is not a power hitter. In high-A he hit 2 HRs in 421 ABs. In AA he hit 7 HRs in 437 ABs. He barely played at AAA (7 games). Last year he hit 6 HRs in 362 ABs. He's young and may someday project to a 15-20 HR guy. But I think some fans get down on him because he's not hitting HRs. That has never been his forte. He hits for a good average and (usually) plays good defense. He can't be expected to develop into a power hitter just because that's what his team lacks.

OTOH Keller is a 100% bust. You can look at his minor league stats and see that he went from dominating A and AA batters to only modest success at AAA. So it's not surprising that he has so much difficulty vs MLB batters. You could see it coming. The only thing they talk about in terms of his "stuff" is a high 90s FB. But that didn't help Arquimedes Caminero either. It's hard to know if Keller has the ability to succeed because the Pirates seem to be so poor at developing pitchers. And right now the only likely replacement at AAA is Contreras. It's hard to imagine much upside for Keller. He's already been put in the BP. Maybe making him a 1-inning reliever would be best for him. If he pitches too many innings from the BP he's going to give up a lot of runs.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

735E53424554430300310 wrote: Despite a few errors this year, Hayes is very solid in the field and a good line drive hitter. He is among NL leaders in exit velocity. But he is not a power hitter. In high-A he hit 2 HRs in 421 ABs. In AA he hit 7 HRs in 437 ABs. He barely played at AAA (7 games). Last year he hit 6 HRs in 362 ABs. He's young and may someday project to a 15-20 HR guy. But I think some fans get down on him because he's not hitting HRs. That has never been his forte. He hits for a good average and (usually) plays good defense. He can't be expected to develop into a power hitter just because that's what his team lacks.

OTOH Keller is a 100% bust. You can look at his minor league stats and see that he went from dominating A and AA batters to only modest success at AAA. So it's not surprising that he has so much difficulty vs MLB batters. You could see it coming. The only thing they talk about in terms of his "stuff" is a high 90s FB. But that didn't help Arquimedes Caminero either. It's hard to know if Keller has the ability to succeed because the Pirates seem to be so poor at developing pitchers. And right now the only likely replacement at AAA is Contreras. It's hard to imagine much upside for Keller. He's already been put in the BP. Maybe making him a 1-inning reliever would be best for him. If he pitches too many innings from the BP he's going to give up a lot of runs.   
Agree on both accounts especially Hayes
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

Yes Hayes is very good defensively, but unless he can develop 15-20 HR power then the Bucs will need to find an alternative at 3B.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

Hayes error just cost the Bucs 4 runs….ugh!
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

694C4F4F5A714C444651230 wrote: Hayes error just cost the Bucs 4 runs….ugh!
you jinxed him :D
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

Bucs cut the margin in half. 4-2
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

What does that have to do with anyone being a bust?  That's for the GDT, not here.

I guess Otis needs to spend more time teaching you how to work this thing.  ;)