Series Against The Dodgers

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The Pirates have lost 16 straight games against the Dodgers dating back to 2018. The Dodgers are the much better team with the upcoming 3 game series, but the law of averages say the Bucs should end this long losing streak. Will the streak end during the next 3 games ?
gileszee

Post by gileszee »

If they win one, it will be tomorrow. Otherwise, sweep city.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

In baseball even the worst teams usually win about a third of their games. Good teams have bad days and bad teams have good days. Sometimes a single event determines the outcome even though one team is clearly better than another.

However, when one team doesn't even try, the outcome is fairly automatic. As much as I love the Pirates and look forward to watching every game, I have become very disillusioned with this team. I'll sit thru every game when they are overmatched by more talented teams in the hope that they might still get the occasional victory. But yesterday hammered home the realization that they aren't even trying to beat the team with the worst record in MLB. 3 hits for Hayes the previous game after a week with 4 off days? He goes to the bench and the entire team musters only 3 hits. 5 dominating, shutout innings by Thompson? Let's pull him and see if the BP can do as well as he was doing. That's not how a team tries to win.

So if they won't even try to beat the Reds, I cannot see them winning a game against the Dodgers.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

725F52434455420201300 wrote: In baseball even the worst teams usually win about a third of their games. Good teams have bad days and bad teams have good days. Sometimes a single event determines the outcome even though one team is clearly better than another.

However, when one team doesn't even try, the outcome is fairly automatic. As much as I love the Pirates and look forward to watching every game, I have become very disillusioned with this team. I'll sit thru every game when they are overmatched by more talented teams in the hope that they might still get the occasional victory. But yesterday hammered home the realization that they aren't even trying to beat the team with the worst record in MLB. 3 hits for Hayes the previous game after a week with 4 off days? He goes to the bench and the entire team musters only 3 hits. 5 dominating, shutout innings by Thompson? Let's pull him and see if the BP can do as well as he was doing. That's not how a team tries to win.

So if they won't even try to beat the Reds, I cannot see them winning a game against the Dodgers.
Was there anything mentioned about Hayes being under the weather, etc. or just the usual day off Shelton Merry-go-round?

I think the bucs will squeeze out one win. Tonight with Quintana and the fact that the Dodgers had a night game in Chicago and probably got in late. Will refer to that as Wildwood Dave Analytics :D :D
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

If they can eek out one win, I hope it's Wednesday, I'm going to that game
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

053B3E36253D3D361633243760520 wrote: In baseball even the worst teams usually win about a third of their games. Good teams have bad days and bad teams have good days. Sometimes a single event determines the outcome even though one team is clearly better than another.

Was there anything mentioned about Hayes being under the weather, etc. or just the usual day off Shelton Merry-go-round?

I think the bucs will squeeze out one win. Tonight with Quintana and the fact that the Dodgers had a night game in Chicago and probably got in late. Will refer to that as Wildwood Dave Analytics :D :D
In the broadcast, they said he was getting a day off. I could find nothing about any health issue.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I give the Pirates almost no chance to win a game against the Dodgers.

The Dodgers will start three major league caliber pitchers fully capable of going 7+ innings and winning a game.

The Pirates don't have any of those on the roster.

Even if a Pirates starter miraculously pitches well, he'd need a 9-inning shutout because the offense has ZERO power and half the lineup hits below .200.

This team is horrific.

Only one thing we've got going for us ... Hayes got some much-needed rest yesterday. He's now been off 5 of the last 7 days, so he should hit at least 3 HR tonight.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6F4D5E434045424D6E594F4F432C0 wrote: I give the Pirates almost no chance to win a game against the Dodgers.

The Dodgers will start three major league caliber pitchers fully capable of going 7+ innings and winning a game.

The Pirates don't have any of those on the roster.

Even if a Pirates starter miraculously pitches well, he'd need a 9-inning shutout because the offense has ZERO power and half the lineup hits below .200.

This team is horrific.

Only one thing we've got going for us ... Hayes got some much-needed rest yesterday. He's now been off 5 of the last 7 days, so he should hit at least 3 HR tonight.
But after 5 innings he'd be kept in the dugout while relievers with 6+ ERAs took over. It's the Shelton Manifesto.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

6856535B4850505B7B5E495A0D3F0 wrote: In baseball even the worst teams usually win about a third of their games. Good teams have bad days and bad teams have good days. Sometimes a single event determines the outcome even though one team is clearly better than another.

You thought they'd win last night due to tired young men. Now those young men are rested so I don't think, I know we lose the rest of series. (Hope they somehow win Wednesday for Surgn)
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

I just hope that Shelty comes to his senses and keeps the hot bats in the lineup despite what kind of matchups he sees. Suwinski has to play, and so do Gamel and Chavis. Van Meter and Tucker have no business in playing today. We need to give Wilson some sort of chance to be in the game through 5 innings and maybe have a lead.