Boston - Fenway Park

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Boston - Fenway Park

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Anyone ever been to Fenway Park?

How is the surrounding area? Places to hang out, grab a beer before and after? Restaurants to try?

What to look for inside the ballpark? Can I touch the Green Monster from the seats? Is there a certain food I need to try: Fenway Dog?
PMike

Boston - Fenway Park

Post by PMike »

I went to Fenway, but it was a while back. Probably late 90s.

We rode the light rail/subway in to the game. I don't remember much parking being around the park. That was a good way to get in and out.

Fenway feels like it's from a different era. It is just cool to walk around the ball park. Sight lines are very different from different places. The walkways in the bowels of the park are cool because they are small, cramped, and some of them were smoke filled from the grills. Again, it is one of the few parks that feel way different from all of the new parks.

I don't know if you can touch the Monster unless you have those special seats on top. Maybe if you went down the left field corner.

I believe the Fenway Franks were their speciality. Solid ballpark fare.

Definitely go out to the RF bleachers. There is a seat out there that is painted red among all of the green seats. It's allegedly where Ted Williams hit the longest HR ever at Fenway. It is 502 ft. from home plate. It is hard to imagine a person propelling a baseball that far. Especially a person from his era given the equipment.

While you are in Boston, go to Trilium Brewing and have a beer (or a bunch). Have fun!
OrlandoMerced

Boston - Fenway Park

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I've never been to a game, but my wife's sister lives in Brookline ( about a 30-40 minute walk to the ballpark, and that's a pretty awesome neighborhood. All sorts of restaurants and bars, but I'm sure the area around the ballpark is just as loaded with options.
Ecbucs

Boston - Fenway Park

Post by Ecbucs »

I walked there from Copley Place area and it was a pleasant walk, maybe took 25 minutes.

Have been there two times, first time saw Mike Boddicker get his 20th win, second time Bo Jackson played center for Royals so it has been awhile :)
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Boston - Fenway Park

485571737D180 wrote: I went to Fenway, but it was a while back.  Probably late 90s.

We rode the light rail/subway in to the game.  I don't remember much parking being around the park.  That was a good way to get in and out.

Fenway feels like it's from a different era.  It is just cool to walk around the ball park.  Sight lines are very different from different places.  The walkways in the bowels of the park are cool because they are small, cramped, and some of them were smoke filled from the grills.  Again, it is one of the few parks that feel way different from all of the new parks.

I don't know if you can touch the Monster unless you have those special seats on top.  Maybe if you went down the left field corner.

I believe the Fenway Franks were their speciality.  Solid ballpark fare.

Definitely go out to the RF bleachers.  There is a seat out there that is painted red among all of the green seats.  It's allegedly where Ted Williams hit the longest HR ever at Fenway.  It is 502 ft. from home plate.  It is hard to imagine a person propelling a baseball that far.  Especially a person from his era given the equipment.

While you are in Boston, go to Trilium Brewing and have a beer (or a bunch).  Have fun!

I want to touch the Green Monster down the left field line. I will check out the Ted Williams seat too. Thank you.
ScottinMass

Boston - Fenway Park

Post by ScottinMass »

Been a number of times. Plenty of places around the park for a beer/burger. Yawkey Way next to the park is closed to traffic on game days and has pre-game activities and food.

I used to take the "T" into the games, but it is very congested especially after games.

You can wait up to an hour to get on a train.

I park in the Prudential Center parking garage and walk to the park especially if it is a nice day (or night). Not a bad walk, maybe 20-25 minutes.

Be prepared for small wooden seats (in a lot of park) and tight leg room in most rows.

Great place to see a game, but not the most comfortable seating and angles.

I will be there for the Thursday afternoon game. Section B95 down the right field line. 
timozbuck

Boston - Fenway Park

Post by timozbuck »

If you have an opportunity, take a tour of the stadium. A souvenir shop across the street handles the tours. Very affordable way to touch the monster, press box, and get a vantage point from all over Fenway.

Cask n Flagon is a decent burger/beer joint near the stadium. I was totally disappointed in the Fenway Dogs FYI. Have fun, it's an amazing park!
CTBucco

Boston - Fenway Park

Post by CTBucco »

I lived in/near Boston for many years and went to a lot of games at Fenway but none in the last 10 years.  I started in college when a bleacher seat was $3, and we'd drink our way through a warm, spring afternoon.  Enough nostalgia.

The city is small and very walkable.  I'll second what someone else said about the subway, aka The T.  It's a great way to get there, but it will be crowded with a wait to get on after the game if you want to use one of the closest stations.  Instead, take a walk to a station a few blocks away or just park in another neighborhood and walk to/from the park.

There is a ton to do right around the park.  Landsdowne Street runs just behind The Green Monster and has a number of bars and clubs for after the game. Boston Beer Works has pretty good food and microbrews.  It's at Landsdowne & Brookline Ave directly adjacent to the stadium.  There is a parking lot next to it that is really convenient if you get there early enough to get a spot on game days.  Kenmore Sq is just east of the park along Brookline Ave and has more places to drink/eat.

The sausage carts along Lansdowne and Yawkey Way will be way better than the dogs in the park, IMO.  But, of course, you can't get one during the game.

Seats down the RF line - once you get beyond the IF - are really close, but have sight line problems. For one, the seats face the field and not home plate, so you'll be twisting toward home to watch each pitch.  Also, if you're there toward sundown, you'll be getting the sun full in the eyes for a couple of innings.  It makes fouls frightening when you hear that loud crack but can't see the ball at all.  If you sit back a section from the field under the overhang/awning, no problem.  The 3B/LF seats don't have this problem, of course. 

The RF bleachers are fun with a great view, but you can be wayyyy off the field and far from the plate if you end up more toward CF. And the Bleacher Creatures are an experience to behold - especially for a Yanks-Sox game.

A favorite restaurant of mine near the park (5-6 blocks) is Elephant Walk. It serves French-Cambodian food. The menu has a mix of each cuisine and items that are a fusion. Really good.

If you have time before/after the game and want a nicer meal or to people watch, head to Back Bay (about 20 minute walk) and wander along Commonwealth Ave (nice brownstone homes) and then along Boylston St and Newbury St for bars, restaurants and people watching. 

Alternatively, head a little to the west and explore Brookline.  It's more residential but very active with lots of neat shops, restaurants, bars, etc.

If you want to do "the sites" head to Fanueil Hall and the North End where you can see The Old North Church, have some amazing Italian food, and stroll along the Freedom Trail for lots of historic sites along with tons of touristy shops.  You'll also be close to the waterfront.  Again, oodles of bars and restaurants in the area.  If you go from Fenway, take the T as it's a pretty long walk across this part of town.  But if you're not in a hurry, you'll see the Boston Common with the Swan Boats, Cheers (Bull & Finch Pub), Beacon Hill (gov't area, wealthy enclave).

I hope this helps.  Have fun!
Jerseykc

Boston - Fenway Park

Post by Jerseykc »

Try to walk in from behind home plate, the field just opens up right away. I grew up in the 70's and I thought I heard Kurt Gowdy calling a game. My first trip was to see Griffey's Mariners

Boston city is very small and walkable - our niece goes to college there and it is a lot of fun. Hotel Commonwealth is a nice, non-chain place to stay. There is a Marriott Residence Inn within a 5 minute walk from Fenway
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Boston - Fenway Park

I'm flying in and won't have a car. Staying near the airport, so Uber do the T would be the main travel options. My tickets are up top along first base.

I am a foodie too and would to hit up some historic Boston traditions.

I appreciate all of this info. Keep it coming.