Do Free Agents Now Want To Sign With Pittsburgh

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

So far this offseason the Pirates have been very quiet with regards to signing free agents. Some of the reasons could be the overall of the FO, and due to the delay of hiring  the new GM and manager. There was some thought that players like Jason Castro, and Robinson Chirinos may be interested in signing with Pittsburgh due to previous relationships with Derek Shelton and Oz Ocampo. Both players have now signed contracts with other teams, and you have to wonder if the Pirates made a salary offer to these players, and  if it was much lower than they received from their current team, or was it a competitive offer and the players just felt they wanted to join a team that would be much more competitive than what it is expected from the Pirates in 2020. At this point one has to wonder if free agents want to consider signing with Pittsburgh.
mouse

Post by mouse »

My guess is that the team is still trying to figure out what they have and are not yet active in any market. I haven't seen any rumors on them being involved and usually you do, if they are in on some free agent or trade prospect.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

2D21207B727B737E79667C4B0 wrote: So far this offseason the Pirates have been very quiet with regards to signing free agents. Some of the reasons could be the overall of the FO, and due to the delay of hiring  the new GM and manager. There was some thought that players like Jason Castro, and Robinson Chirinos may be interested in signing with Pittsburgh due to previous relationships with Derek Shelton and Oz Ocampo. Both players have now signed contracts with other teams, and you have to wonder if the Pirates made a salary offer to these players, and  if it was much lower than they received from their current team, or was it a competitive offer and the players just felt they wanted to join a team that would be much more competitive than what it is expected from the Pirates in 2020. At this point one has to wonder if free agents want to consider signing with Pittsburgh.
I think they will if price is right (meaning Bucs have to overpay). Free agents are signing with Miami.
Leyland1948

Post by Leyland1948 »

The players already here probably want out! Marte made it official and others would like out I am sure!
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

35372D2B3D580 wrote: My guess is that the team is still trying to figure out what they have and are not yet active in any market. I haven't seen any rumors on them being involved and usually you do, if they are in on some free agent or trade prospect.
I believe Mouse is correct. This is a rebuild while young players are evaluated and developed. As for the MLB roster, I think their primary concern for catching is defense and working with the pitchers to maximize their efficiency. The pitchers liked throwing to Stallings last year. And Maile's only strength is his catching ability. So it appears that for the time being, BC & Co are satisfied that they have adequate catching.
shedman

Post by shedman »

I am beginning to wonder if Cherington will ever sign a FA.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

6F747978717D721C0 wrote: I am beginning to wonder if Cherington will ever sign a FA.
I just cannot imagine this team breaking camp with the same players that finished the 2019 season. In my opinion they need a catcher, a veteran pitcher or two, and at least another bat off the bench, preferably a fourth outfielder.
shedman

Post by shedman »

I can't imagine it either, but we are only about a month away from pitchers and catchers reporting.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

I can’t imagine any free agent with choices wanting to sign with the Pirates. The organization has put profits over winning. The organization refuses to pay market value. The only players that would sign here are players trying to re-establish their value after being hurt or having down seasons. Sad state of affairs for a once proud organization.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

785D5E5E4B605D555740320 wrote: I can’t imagine any free agent with choices wanting to sign with the Pirates. The organization has put profits over winning. The organization refuses to pay market value. The only players that would sign here are players trying to re-establish their value after being hurt or having down seasons. Sad state of affairs for a once proud organization.
This.