Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

IABucFan

Shortstop-Jordy Mercer

Post by IABucFan »

Thoughts?
Bobster21

Shortstop-Jordy Mercer

Post by Bobster21 »

I like Mercer. Not flashy but very steady at SS. There aren't a lot of great hitting shortstops and those who are are priced out of the Pirates' range. He's a .250-ish hitter who doesn't K a lot and can occasionally hit a ball over the fence. Mercer reminds me a lot of Gene Alley.
Quail

Shortstop-Jordy Mercer

Post by Quail »

Mercer's a guy who is easy to take for granted because he hasn't got a lot of flash. He's good enough though that if they lose him to injury for any length of time he'll be sorely missed. I think he's about due for his "Jack Wilson career year" in 2017.
SammyKhalifa

Shortstop-Jordy Mercer

Post by SammyKhalifa »

The "Beige Toyota Corolla" of Pirates. In this case that's a good thing!
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Shortstop-Jordy Mercer

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I am a big Mercer fan. I know he isn't great, but he gets the job done. He is a smart player too on defense and on the bases.

I expect a big year from him, well better than his normal. He is approaching those arbitration years, over 30, and a big prospect is behind him. He has to feel the pressure a little bit.

I like his attitude. When the Pirates were in the Playoffs celebrating, he looked like he was having the most fun.
MaineBucs

Shortstop-Jordy Mercer

Post by MaineBucs »

I too am a Mercer fan.

Not a lot of flash, but an above average fielder.

Are there better shortstops in the league? Sure, but Mercer is a plus player for the Pirates. This is likely his last year with the team because of future salary concerns. And, as much as I like him, I would agree with the Pirates if they decide not to overpay for his future services.
IABucFan

Shortstop-Jordy Mercer

Post by IABucFan »

These are my takes on Mercer as well.  I do think he's poised for a big year.  I look at him as the kind of guy who won't really cost you any games, but probably won't win you very many either.  Steady.  Plenty of guys have made nice careers out of that, and championship teams need guys like that in the lineup.  Talks of a Mercer extension have died down lately.  Leads me to wonder if Newman wasn't being talked about in a possible Quintana trade.
DemDog

Shortstop-Jordy Mercer

Post by DemDog »

I like Gordy. Good guy, not a flashy guy. Just gets the job done and that is all you could ask for. We don't need him to be a big power guy like of the the kids with other teams. Just be average and be a leader of some sort with the kids. Kinda like a Clint Barmes guy was with him. He can be that for a year with Newman.
dmetz

Shortstop-Jordy Mercer

Post by dmetz »

I worry about his defense only in the sense that his knee injury obviously hurt his range last year. His range was below average before the knee, last year it was even worse.

Hope he recovers that aspect of the defensive game. very solid glove, great arm accuracy, I like his arm strength. That range was seriously bad last year though.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Shortstop-Jordy Mercer

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

4C454D5C52280 wrote: I worry about his defense only in the sense that his knee injury obviously hurt his range last year.   His range was below average before the knee, last year it was even worse.

Hope he recovers that aspect of the defensive game.  very solid glove, great arm accuracy, I like his arm strength.   That range was seriously bad last year though. 

I agree. You don't see him diving around either. But overall, he makes the plays. He can go in the hole and get guys at 2B or 3B. He is smart with the ball too.