Would Carlos Gonzalez Be Good Fit

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Looking at some of the free agent outfielders and I wonder if the Bucs should attempt to sign Carlos Gonzalez on a one year contract. Since we are getting closer to spring training they could possibly sign him to a team friendly agreement. If he does well , and the Bucs are out of the race in July they could trade him for prospects. Not sure if Clint Hurdle managed him for a very long time while Clint was in Colorado. He could have some influence in getting him to sign here.
CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

I did the same thing and had the same idea. Then I looked at his home/away splits. Playing in Denver has helped him a lot. His career OPS away is something like .730. No thanks. Frazier, Luplow, and Osuna should all be able to top that.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

I would still take him if price is right.
GermanTownship

Post by GermanTownship »

So would I.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Gonzalez had only been with the Rockies 3 days before Hurdle was fired. I'd love to see the Bucs get him but I doubt Clint would have any influence. And while the FA market is down and a 1 year deal might be the best he could get, I doubt the Pirates would increase their payroll to what it would take. Gonzales made 20 million last year. He may have to take less now but I can't see him signing for substantially less. The Bucs shaved off 14.5 million by moving Cutch since he had only 1 more year of control. Would they sign someone else for the same amount of control but the same or more money?
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

It doesn't matter if we would take him or not, Nutting won't. He would command a salary over 2 million, so he is off limits for Pittsburgh. They would rather go with some random player in the outfield who has achieved little to nothing in MLB than to pay for a competent player.