Thoughts on the eve of 2017 Spring Training

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Much has been said and written about what the Pirates did not do this offseason to put the club in position to make the postseason.  Neal Huntington recently said he likes the group of players which they had last season and hopes that there is improvement with some. If you just look at Garrett Cole's win total from 2015 to 2016 it is 12 games less. If he would win 8 more games than he had last season  and add that to the total team wins of last year you have 86 wins. If a couple more players improve I think 89 to 90 wins is not out of the question. Also if I can recall they played below .500 at PNC Park last year which I doubt will happen this year.
Quail

Post by Quail »

Among other things:

I'm wondering how the bench will replace the 530 ABs, 31 HR, 98 RBI, .860 OPS that Matt Joyce and Sean Rodriguez combined to produced in 2016 for a 78 win team.

How a team with no bonafide closer will fare in those games where a 78 win team used to bring in Mark Melancon.

Who'll be the 5th starter when #1-#4 are healthy, and who'll be the 5th starter when the inevitable injury occurs to one of those guys.

Which two of the Cubs, Cards, Giants, Dodgers, Mets, Nationals, or Marlins will have a worse record than the Pirates so the Bucs can make the playoffs as a wildcard team?

Roberto218

Post by Roberto218 »

I think we have an 88 win team. Cutch rebounds, Cole is healthy, Bell hits great and fields OK, Cervelli plays more, Taillion and Nova get a full season, Kuhl is okay and one of the young guns arrives in June, preferably Glasnow, and Kang plays a full, healthy season!
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Quail those are great, great questions. And No. 1 and No. 3 in particular scare me, and I don't have answers for them.

Our bench power has evaporated completely, and I mean completely, and we have a lot of starting pitch depth -- I just don't think we have anywhere near enough QUALITY depth. Just a bunch of mediocre arms from what I can tell.

Not seeing how we can win more games than last year with even less power than we already had, and so many question marks on the mound.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

183A29343732353A192E3838345B0 wrote: Quail those are great, great questions. And No. 1 and No. 3 in particular scare me, and I don't have answers for them.

Our bench power has evaporated completely, and I mean completely, and we have a lot of starting pitch depth -- I just don't think we have anywhere near enough QUALITY depth. Just a bunch of mediocre arms from what I can tell.

Not seeing how we can win more games than last year with even less power than we already had, and so many question marks on the mound.
I'm expecting about the same number of blown saves as last year. Think they can win from 81-88 games. There are just a lot of questions. Some players will do better than last year and some will do worse. Hope offense improves as it needs to carry the team.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I don't think they can win this division and can compete with the Cubs. They just aren't good enough I don't think to make up 25 games on the Cubs which is where they finished a year ago. But I do think they can compete for a wildcard spot if the rotation holds up and you can get a guy like Glasnow who I think is a huge key to this season to figure it out and pitch like he is capable. I do think their rotation is in much better shape going into this season then it was at the start of last season. I think having a full season of Kang assuming all is well with him will make them better and getting bounce back years from guys like Cutch and Cervelli as well and adding Bell to the mix will make them a better team as well. Ill say they can win about 85 games at this point. Will that be good enough to get them in the playoffs as a wildcard we shall see...
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

The bench is much weaker, but hopefully we don't need them as much. Rodriguez had a career year. Joyce was a huge surprise for the first half of the season. Those two were very productive but were also very unexpected. Hopefully, the current bench guys can just hold their own.

Bell has to be a huge upgrade at 1B. Jaso wasn't very good last year after April. Bell looked good with the bat last year. His fielding will probably be pretty bad. Just how bad is the question.

It's Watson's turn. He earned the Closer role. There are some other guys to fill in if he doesn't perform. I prefer him in a set up role.

Harrison needs to improve. His defense was great last year, but his bat is what keeps him in the line up.

A healthy Kang and Cole should make a huge difference.
PMike

Post by PMike »

I think they could be competitive with anyone in the league over the course of 162 games...except the Cubs.

I think their lineup is as good as any other (except the Cubs).

Their pitching is the big question mark. There has been a lot of good banter around here because of the huge unrest of this staff. There is no one that can really be counted on. Cole was a Cy Young finalist two years ago and we thought he'd be stud for the foreseeable future. Last year put a question mark beside his name. Taillon and the sophomore slump. Will we get historic Nova or 2nd half of last year Nova. Will Kuhl continue to do what he's done his whole pro career?

On the other hand, if those four do what they are capable of and have proven to be able to do, it's a great start that is competitive with anyone in the league. The options are actually pretty good beyond that. One of the top pitching prospects in baseball, a lefty who's already had some success in the majors (Brault), the young reclamation project in Hutchinson, Trevor Williams, and I'm going to guess one more reclamation project.

I know there are many who want another starting pitcher. I'm starting to change my mind. If it is a Quintana or proven guy, I'd say yes. However, the remaining FA pitcher don't wow me. I'd rather give Glasnow or Hutchinson a chance over someone like Jason Hammels. I know Hammels is below average. Glasnow or Hutchinson could be better.

Hurdle said the other day that Glasnow is getting the full shot in spring training. I really think he goes north. He was on the MLB roster from last July on. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Super 2 stuff is over now, right?
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

5672666E6B070 wrote: Among other things:

I'm wondering how the bench will replace the 530 ABs, 31 HR, 98 RBI, .860 OPS that Matt Joyce and Sean Rodriguez combined to produced in 2016 for a 78 win team.

How a team with no bonafide closer will fare in those games where a 78 win team used to bring in Mark Melancon.

Who'll be the 5th starter when #1-#4 are healthy, and who'll be the 5th starter when the inevitable injury occurs to one of those guys.

Which two of the Cubs, Cards, Giants, Dodgers, Mets, Nationals, or Marlins will have a worse record than the Pirates so the Bucs can make the playoffs as a wildcard team?

I think we have to hope that the SeanRod and Joyce production comes from a variety of sources. Full seasons from Bell and Kang and bounce-back years from McCutchen and Harrison.

The back of the bullpen has three strong options. I'm sure that situation will resolve itself.

Rotation is a problem again, but I like the chances of Brault, Glasnow, Kingham or Williams establishing themselves, as opposed to last year when they had to give all those starts to Niese, Nicasio and Locke.

Cubs, Nationals and Dodgers look like locks. No reason to believe that the Pirates can't compete with the other squads you listed.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

6558464B444E45674F58494F4E2A0 wrote: Among other things:

I think we have to hope that the SeanRod and Joyce production comes from a variety of sources.  Full seasons from Bell and Kang and bounce-back years from McCutchen and Harrison.

The back of the bullpen has three strong options.  I'm sure that situation will resolve itself.

Rotation is a problem again, but I like the chances of Brault, Glasnow, Kingham or Williams establishing themselves, as opposed to last year when they had to give all those starts to Niese, Nicasio and Locke.

Cubs, Nationals and Dodgers look like locks.  No reason to believe that the Pirates can't compete with the other squads you listed.

I think they can compete for one of the two wildcard spots with the Cards,Giants,Mets and Marlins but the rotation has to be solid. Glasnow stepping up would be huge as a 4th guy to go along with Cole,Taillon, and Nova. And adding a guy like Kuhl,Kingham,Brault or even Hutchison as a solid 5th guy would be an added bonus.