Bottom of 8th - Cubs v Dodgers - never seen anything like it

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

With Bases loaded and no outs in the top of the 8th the Cubs bring in Chapman. He strikes out two but gives up a single to tie the game.

Bottom of the 8th. Cubs open with a double. One out. Intentional walk of Hayward. Second out pop up. Dave Roberts elects to intentionally walk the bases loaded. Why - because Chapman is next up. He basically walks two men to force Chapman out of the game. Madden brings in a lefty, Montero. Roberts leaves righty Blanton in the game.

On an 0-2 count Montero crushes a grand slam.

I can't believe Dave Roberts will sleep for days. Worse move EVER by a manager? Absolutely crazy. Tie game and you intentionally walk two men to load bases? Then to leave the righty in with a lefty PHer? WOW!
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

I would take Dave Roberts as a manager any day over what we have. I've been very impressed with what I've seen from him thus far. Probably two best managers in the game are on those two clubs.
rucker59@gmail.com

6C747671716677706D6C7A1F0 wrote: I would take Dave Roberts as a manager any day over what we have.  I've been very impressed with what I've seen from him thus far.  Probably two best managers in the game are on those two clubs.

I've been impressed as well. But last night he went off the rails in the most dramatic fashion imaginable.

Dodgers are three out away from leaving Chicago 1-1.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

485052555542535449485E3B0 wrote: I would take Dave Roberts as a manager any day over what we have. 

That makes one of us.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

7374626A6473343841666C60686D2F626E6C010 wrote: With Bases loaded and no outs in the top of the 8th the Cubs bring in Chapman.  He strikes out two but gives up a single to tie the game. 

Bottom of the 8th.  Cubs open with a double. One out.   Intentional walk of Hayward.  Second out pop up.  Dave Roberts elects to  intentionally walk the bases loaded. Why - because Chapman is next up.  He basically walks two men to force Chapman out of the game.  Madden brings in a lefty, Montero. Roberts leaves righty Blanton in the game.

On an 0-2 count Montero crushes a grand slam. 

I can't believe Dave Roberts will sleep for days.  Worse move EVER by a manager?  Absolutely crazy.  Tie game and you  intentionally walk two men to load bases?  Then to leave the righty in with a lefty PHer?  WOW!

It was a strange move. I like Roberts reasoning as to get Chapman out of the game. Blanton had 0-2 on a pinch hitter.

I am on the fence. It didn't work out and very rare to make the bases loaded. If it did work, he would have been a genius.

How about Chapman's inherited runner stat? He has let something like 8 of 14 to score. That is crazy to me as I think he is the best relief pitcher in all of baseball.
PMike

Post by PMike »

083A36362210333A37323D3A5B0 wrote: I would take Dave Roberts as a manager any day over what we have. 

That makes one of us.

Agreed. He has made some strange moves. I didn't like pulling Kershaw after 7 yesterday. He was only at about 84 pitches. If you are the Cubs, you'd give anything to get Kershaw out of the game. You know the Cubs can't score off of him. The same may be the case with Jansen, but you don't know. It worked out last night, but it was a gamble.
rucker59@gmail.com

425F7B7977120 wrote: I would take Dave Roberts as a manager any day over what we have. 

That makes one of us.

Agreed.  He has made some strange moves.  I didn't like pulling Kershaw after 7 yesterday.  He was only at about 84 pitches.  If you are the Cubs, you'd give anything to get Kershaw out of the game.  You know the Cubs can't score off of him.  The same may be the case with Jansen, but you don't know.  It worked out last night, but it was a gamble.

I do like Roberts, but last night was another strange move with Kershaw. My guess: since he closed the 5th game of the NLDS he was on a pitch count?

Two really good games.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

He may pitch again on 3 days' rest. Another reason to limit pitches.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

I thought it was a good decision to take Kershaw out as he can start on short rest and Jensen gets advantage of off day too.

Of course these moves worked so they are easy to like.
PMike

Post by PMike »

103D30212637206063520 wrote: He may pitch again on 3 days' rest. Another reason to limit pitches.

Yes. This is the explanation that makes sense to me. Maybe he pitches game 5 in LA. Then he can come out of the bullpen in game 7 if need be. This is a lot like the Arizona WS team with Johnson and Schilling...only without Schilling!