Mets are serious

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Mets are serious

Post by Surgnbuck »

DFA Robinson Cano with 41 million owed. Maybe Bob can do a mini version of this and let yoshi go. Great to see a team tell its players contract doesn't guarantee a roster spot.
DemDog

Mets are serious

Post by DemDog »

0A2C2B3E373B2C3A32590 wrote: DFA Robinson Cano with 41 million owed. Maybe Bob can do a mini version of this and let yoshi go. Great to see a team tell its players contract doesn't guarantee a roster spot.

There is a catch when it comes to BOB. His billionare oligarchy is no where near what the Coen family's is.
SammyKhalifa

Mets are serious

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I think it's a bit soon for that
johnfluharty

Mets are serious

Post by johnfluharty »

6D5F53534775565F5257585F3E0 wrote: I think it's a bit soon for that

Agree. If he still isn't hitting in another month then we cut him loose. IMO, same goes for Newman and Tucker.
MaineBucs

Mets are serious

Post by MaineBucs »

Folks to DFA or send to minors:

# 1 - VanMeter. Designate him tomorrow. I still don't understand why BC signed him. So uncharacteristic of most of his moves. He adds nothing and the Bucs have a plethora of middle infielders, even though most of them are weak hitters. Versatility doesn't count for much if the guy can't hit or field.

# 2 - Tucker. If Tucker doesn't pick it up (where is the guy who was ripping it up at the end of last season), when Newman returns (recognizing that VanMeter is already gone in my scenario), then Tucker also is exiled. At present, he looks like another wasted first round pick. Someone among Park, Bae, and hopefully Cruz, could be recalled, assuming that 1 or more of the above show real promise at AAA.

# 3 - Yoshi. His current performance does not even qualify as being the shadow of the player who was popping home runs for the Pirates at the end of last season. I don't know if its because all pitchers have suddenly learned that he is a mirage at the plate (he is standing in the box, but he clearly is not a hitter), if he is overwhelmed by the shift and has forgotten how to pull the ball, or he simply isn't that good. In the short term, give Chavis more at bats, play Yoshi more selectively, and hope that he can demonstrate that he belongs in the majors as a starting first baseman. That said, I don't expect the latter to happen, and that his cringe-worthy performance this season warrants him being designated by mid-June.

At present, I don't have a number 4. One reason is because I assume that most of the relievers and perhaps even 1 or 2 of the starters are fungible; meaning that the Pirates can move them back and forth between the majors and AAA as needed, and, if they need a roster space, they can cut 1 or more of them loose without much hesitation. For example, see this week's moves to send Fletcher, Howard and Yajure (who hopefully has a future) to the minors and to recall Banda. So, if I am Beau Suiser, De Jong, or Hembree, I wouldn't overspend on an apartment in Pittsburgh.

So ---

- Cut the cord with VanMeter as soon as you can and give all of those at-bats he is being awarded to someone who could be with the team in the future.

- Insert Newman (when healthy), and move on from Tucker. Also, unless Newman suddenly rediscovers his 2019 batting stroke, move on from him before the end of this season or clearly by the beginning of next year.

- In the near-term, no more Yoshi and bring up Martin (if it appears he can handle major league pitching), or as an alternative, go with a Gamel/Chavis platoon at first and bring up another outfielder; perhaps Allen if he is healthy, or perhaps Mitchell, Cruz, or any AA or AAA outfielder who is performing.

- Keep shuffling the relievers and hope for the best. Neither Peters or Crowe was expected to be as good as they have been this year, and maybe there is another pitcher in the system or acquired from another organization who could do the same.

A few final thoughts:

1 - If Peters is anywhere near as good as he has looked this year, stop messing with him and give him a chance to succeed or fail as a starter. Always good to have another lefty in the starting rotation, particularly one who is pitching effectively.

2 - Suwinski isn't killing it at the plate, but he looks like he belongs in the majors. While he may never equal his production, he appears to have the same demeanor and confidence as Reynolds. And, in playing him, its not like he is denying someone else at-bats who could be with the team 2 years from now.

3. While its only a glimmer of hope, based on his recent starts, the Pirates need to continue to run Keller out there as a starter for a while before determining if his best path forward is as a reliever.

4. I watched some of the Giants - Dodgers series. It sure is nice to see fans in the stands vs. a sea of empty seats at PNC. I am not blaming the fans from staying away from spending their money at the Park, I am simply noting that I find a game more enjoyable to watch when you hear the constant stir of excitement from fans rather than a lonely voice shouting out 'Let's Go Bucs' at PNC.

Nonetheless --- Let's Go Bucs. The Reds are having a much worse season than you and you need to add to their misery.
Bobster21

Mets are serious

Post by Bobster21 »

Chavis can play 2B. There is no reason VanMeter ever steps onto the field. He's a LH batter with a career .205 BA vs RHP. Ahh, if only he could repeat that prowess this year. But alas, he's hitting only .177 vs RHP this year. Shelton seems confused as to why batters stand at the plate. He seems to think the goal is just to bat from the opposite side of the pitcher's' throwing arm. Getting hits seems irrelevant. Tucker consistently makes outs from both sides of the plate, theoretically always having the advantage over the pitcher. VanMeter makes outs as a LH batter vs RHPs. Chavis rarely starts vs RHPs because it's VanMeter's job to make outs against them. Chavis should have a future with the team. Having him sit and watch VanMeter make outs accomplishes nothing.