Official Game Thread - 8/7 - Bucs @ Reds

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

It's apparent some only view this team through the lens of the 47 game sample and see nothing but gloom and doom and are generally miserable, have nothing good to say about the team and probably in need of a bath and a shave; The others (the group I belong to), who I would classify as generally more intelligent and certainly better looking, view the team more towards the 63 game sample, and see progress and a bright future, but also acknowledging all the warts, mistakes, and the lack of pitching.

I wouldn't call picking all the best results and putting them in one pile a "sample." The Pirates have moved back within six runs of the D-backs, but have a game in hand so they're essentially even at the bottom of that measure.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

6D5E424340487E4358445F584945422C0 wrote: It's apparent some only view this team through the lens of the 47 game sample and see nothing but gloom and doom and are generally miserable, have nothing good to say about the team and probably in need of a bath and a shave; The others (the group I belong to), who I would classify as generally more intelligent and certainly better looking, view the team more towards the 63 game sample, and see progress and a bright future, but also acknowledging all the warts, mistakes, and the lack of pitching.

I wouldn't call picking all the best results and putting them in one pile a "sample." The Pirates have moved back within six runs of the D-backs, but have a game in hand so they're essentially even at the bottom of that measure.

My point was how some people see the team as only those 47 games games with -161 differential. They ignore the other part, the good part, the successes and the improvements. The others see the problems, but also can see some light.

Has nothing to do about parsing out something and making it a legitimate statistical sample. It's about some board members.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

I thought the grenade was about ready to go off in Keller's hand there for a moment, but got out of that mess
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

0B382425262E18253E22393E2F23244A0 wrote: It's apparent some only view this team through the lens of the 47 game sample and see nothing but gloom and doom and are generally miserable, have nothing good to say about the team and probably in need of a bath and a shave; The others (the group I belong to), who I would classify as generally more intelligent and certainly better looking, view the team more towards the 63 game sample, and see progress and a bright future, but also acknowledging all the warts, mistakes, and the lack of pitching.

I wouldn't call [highlight]picking all the best results and putting them in one pile a "sample."[/highlight] The Pirates have moved back within six runs of the D-backs, but have a game in hand so they're essentially even at the bottom of that measure.

Is that not called "cherry picking" anymore?
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Park keeps on hitting, though that hit was kind of a gift.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

1025323239003232393E32570 wrote: It's apparent some only view this team through the lens of the 47 game sample and see nothing but gloom and doom and are generally miserable, have nothing good to say about the team and probably in need of a bath and a shave; The others (the group I belong to), who I would classify as generally more intelligent and certainly better looking, view the team more towards the 63 game sample, and see progress and a bright future, but also acknowledging all the warts, mistakes, and the lack of pitching.

I wouldn't call [highlight]picking all the best results and putting them in one pile a "sample."[/highlight] The Pirates have moved back within six runs of the D-backs, but have a game in hand so they're essentially even at the bottom of that measure.

Is that not called "cherry picking" anymore?
Actually, you both mischaracterized that anyhow. Had nothing about picking the best results. Just simply the highest run differentials. Wins and losses had nothing to do with it.

Again, it was about certain posters, but no surprise it went over your head.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Oh man, picked off
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

And it really hurt with that double by Hayes, though Park wouldn't have scored from first on that one
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4A6C6B7E777B6C7A72190 wrote: Oh man, picked off
He wasn't even paying attention. :(
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Reynolds follows with a triple!!

1-0 Bucs!