JollyRoger

7/24 - Payback time in the Bay Area

Post by JollyRoger »

Cutch

6-0
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

great to be scoring runs. Cutch stays hot.

Why was Bochy tossed?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

77584F4E5844565E3D0 wrote: They have to score some runs. Cain has been pretty bad since 2015. Out of 139 qualified starters, Cain is ranked 138th in Win Pct, 138th in ERA, 136th in Opp Ave and 138yh in Opp OPS.

He just isn't the same great pitcher.

I just checked Cot's

Matt Cain rhp

6 years/$127.5M (2012-17), plus 2018 option

Looks like he'll be living large when he's done at the end of his career this year

I don't know when Cain signed his deal, but he was a big part of winning two World Series for the Giants. He was not so great in their third WS, but he had 15 starts.

It's like they have to ride these guys out because of what they did for them. This happens a lot. The Phillies are going through this. The Royals might be going through this soon. At least they won it all. You can't deny the Giants runs as they won every other year for five years.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Great start!

Okay, the offense has already done enough. Yes, they need to keep scoring, but my point is this:

GERRIT COLE HAD BETTER STEP UP AND LOCK THIS DOWN.

There is no excuse for this game being close at any point ... as long as Cole does his job, and pitches like Very Good Cole instead of Very Bad Cole.

This game now MUST be a W. Absolute MUST.

JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

103637203626550 wrote: great to be scoring runs. Cutch stays hot.

Why was Bochy tossed?
After the Cutch HR he argued balls and strikes with the Home Plate Ump
BenM

Post by BenM »

3F343C3035342F6A6C1B223A3334347538345B0 wrote: They have to score some runs.

Mission accomplished!

Raise it!
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

I guess every single game is critically important, which makes the season suddenly fun. The Sox gave us a great and unexpected gift. The Buccos did their part scoring early and often.

Polanco messes things up. But otherwise the team is playing some really good baseball. Is Neal still evaluating this club? Has he already made a decision on this season? This is an extended stretch where the Pirates could put a lot of wins together. By mid August the Central could easily be all about the Pirates and Cubs, with the Pirates in 1st. This is a tribute to the players and Clint - I didn't think this was possible.

But here we are. What the heck is Neal going to do? HUGE decision that will affect this team and its fans for a long time.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

333F3E656C656D60677862550 wrote: How would you like paying Pence $18.5 million this year for

.247 BA

6 HR

39 RBI

.293 OBP

.640 OPS?

:o
Situations like this make me wonder why baseball owners continue to spend big money on players past their prime. Boston is on the hook for the remainder of the Sandoval contract. Both Boston and the Giants can continue to operate when they are strapped by a bad contract, but teams like Pittsburgh must be very careful of making these long term agreements because a bad move can cripple the team financially for several seasons.

They're called championships.
Buccos1313

Post by Buccos1313 »

i just saw o n ESPN bottom line that Cole has allowed 2 ER or fewer in 7 of his last 8 starts.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I didn't make it up for the end of the game, but of course I am thrilled to see the 10-3 final. Cole vs. Cain needed to be a decisive win, and thankfully it was.

My only concern from last night, after checking the box score, is that Rivero entered in the 9th with a 10-3 lead and threw 20 pitches. Was that really necessary? Couldn't anyone else have gotten those final 3 outs?

Oh well, otherwise I am thrilled with the win as we head into the Bumgarner game tonight.

So far, 2-2 on this trip and we've whittled the lead from 3 games to 2.5 games. To me, this entire trip is about surviving, staying in range of 3 games or so, and getting back home still in the race and hopefully piling up wins. So far, so good.

Would be nice if the hapless White Sox could get 2 of 4 from the Flubs, and of course I'm hoping that the Nats bludgeon the Brewers over the next few days.