Official Game Thread - 5/29 - Buc @ Giants

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

587578696E7F68282B1A0 wrote: Baseball Reference lists 168 MLB players with enough ABs to qualify. Kyle Schwarber has the honor of being 168th with a BA of .168. Hedges doesn't qualify because he has only 86 ABs. But he's batting .163. Hayes qualifies. His .221 BA puts him in 147th place out of 168. Which makes him one of the worst hitters in MLB. Only 12% of those who have enough ABs to qualify are worse than Hayes.

I should add that at least Schwarber draws walks and has an OBP of .323. That's 106th of 168. Hayes doesn't draw walks. His OBP is .275 which is 160th of 168. That's abysmal.

at least Hayes hits homers (well, maybe a few, someday). I don't see the Pirates as contenders this season so I have no problem with seeing if Hayes can somehow become a productive offensive player. Surprising to me he has been caught stealing 5 times this season after just once last year. No matter how good his defense he needs to get his OPS to the 750 range.

The team doesn't need him to turn into another Jose Tabata.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

597F7E697F6F1C0 wrote: Baseball Reference lists 168 MLB players with enough ABs to qualify. Kyle Schwarber has the honor of being 168th with a BA of .168. Hedges doesn't qualify because he has only 86 ABs. But he's batting .163. Hayes qualifies. His .221 BA puts him in 147th place out of 168. Which makes him one of the worst hitters in MLB. Only 12% of those who have enough ABs to qualify are worse than Hayes.

I should add that at least Schwarber draws walks and has an OBP of .323. That's 106th of 168. Hayes doesn't draw walks. His OBP is .275 which is 160th of 168. That's abysmal.

at least Hayes hits homers (well, maybe a few, someday).  I don't see the Pirates as contenders this season so I have no problem with seeing if Hayes can somehow become a productive offensive player.  Surprising to me he has been caught stealing 5 times this season after just once last year.  No matter how good his defense he needs to get his OPS to the 750 range.

The team doesn't need him to turn into another Jose Tabata.
I agree. After counting on him to be a big part of the team's progression and committing a boatload of money to him, they have no choice but to give him every chance to succeed. But he's doing nothing with those chances. But they've backed themselves into a corner with Hayes, they are strongly committed to him, and he shows no signs of becoming an adequate hitter. As it is, only the presence of Hedges provides reason not to bat Hayes 9th.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

After watching Bolton implode yesterday, I ask --- hey, is Underwhelming still available.