Official Game Thread - 4/25 - Bucs @ Twins

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

When this team was 1-6 I would have bet A LOT of money they would never see .500 again.

They have really proven me wrong.

And the bullpen has truly been LIGHTS OUT.

I don't know how long it can possibly last, but right now it feels like when this team leads after 5 innings the ballgame is over. And that's a good feeling.

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

103631242D21362028430 wrote: The luster is coming off Evans
Tom is supposed to join the team in Pittsburgh, and I would assume Evans will get some time off from the starting lineup while they see if Tom has anything to offer.
BenM

Post by BenM »

Bucs and Pens go 4-0 on the weekend!

2301120F0C090E01221503030F600 wrote: When this team was 1-6 I would have bet A LOT of money they would never see .500 again.

And they somehow did it without Hayes!
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

7654475A595C5B54774056565A350 wrote: When this team was 1-6 I would have bet A LOT of money they would never see .500 again.

I don't know how long it can possibly last, but right now it feels like when this team leads after 5 innings the ballgame is over. And that's a good feeling.

Yep, if I'm being honest I was not going to even follow baseball. I would check out just how bad we were once a month. This is nothing short of amazing after being compared to the 69 Mets. I wonder if the players took offense to being predicted to suck and have stepped it up???? At the moment I have a strange feeling this will last but time will tell.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

73647262272126202628110 wrote: When this team was 1-6 I would have bet A LOT of money they would never see .500 again.

Yep, if I'm being honest I was not going to even follow baseball. I would check out just how bad we were once a month. This is nothing short of amazing after being compared to the 69 Mets. I wonder if the players took offense to being predicted to suck and have stepped it up???? At the moment I have a strange feeling this will last but time will tell.
I think you meant the 62 Mets. The WS winning 69 Mets wouldn't be so bad. ;D
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

44626570797562747C170 wrote: All that clammoring for todd frazier sure has died down.
I was hoping they would add Frazier to the roster, but he has played 4 games without a hit. I like the veteran presence, but the team cannot carry a player who may no longer be an offensive threat. Hopefully he can get a few hits during this home stand.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

414D4C171E171F12150A10270 wrote: All that clammoring for todd frazier sure has died down.
I was hoping they would add Frazier to the roster, but he has played 4 games without a hit. I like the veteran presence, but the team cannot carry a player who may no  longer be an offensive threat. Hopefully he can get a few hits during this home stand.
He looked ok when playing regularly in ST. It looks like being away from MLB pitching for nearly a month has hurt him. But it's only been 4 games after about a month off. And there is no minor league right now to give him a rehab assignment to get some swings in. So I'm not surprised he's struggling. But I think he'll come around. The Pirates have had several players struggling a lot longer than just 4 games.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

I don't know who the Twins GM is but, after he watched Polanco today, Cherington should be calling him every 10 minutes with an offer.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Put me down for the column that the Bucs would never see .500 this year after the 1-6 start. Great to see the team win 3 series in a row on the road.

A couple of thoughts:

1) As good as Hayes has been in his limited play, it appears to me that Reynolds is the best hitter and the most sound fundamental player on the team; good baserunner, even though he is not fast, good defensively and seems to always throw to the right base, and is aware of what is going on on the field.

2) The starters are no great shakes, but they have generally pitched okay or better during the run to .500. Anderson and Brubaker going 6+ in back-to-back games helped, as has no one getting completely blown out. To date, Anderson has been a good signing.

3) I am often critical of Shelton. That said, I generally liked how he managed the pen today. Stratton often makes me nervous (he always seems that he is on the verge of collapse), but it was good to see him go 2 today and that Bednar, rather than Crick or Rodriguez, was used to finish the game.

4) Speaking of Crick, while he is often wild (make that very wild), he has been an asset so far. I doubt that this will continue for long, but if he is pitching well, trot him out there and hope that someone will overpay for him in June/July.

5) The batting averages for the bottom 3 - 4 in the Pirate batting order are abysmal. Only Stallings among T. Frazier, Newman and Polanco were hitting above .200 when the game started. (I also acknowledge that Polanco is now above .200 with his 3 hits today). However, in watching the games, the same has been true of nearly all teams that the Pirates have played. In short, the Pirates may not be the only team who lack depth offensively.

6) I no longer fear the first baseman trying to make a 3-6-3 double-play. Moran has adapted well to first, except when it comes to fielding pop-ups. To date, he hasn't seemed to adjust to the different angle on pop-ups playing first rather than third.

7) Evans is starting to chase the high fastball. Hopefully he can adjust and can continue being a productive player.

8) As others have noted, T. Frazier is off to a disappointing start. With Hayes still ailing, the Pirates need another player who can hit, particularly someone who will typically be on the bench.

9) I assume that Castro will be sent down when Tom is added to the roster. Gotta hope that Tom can add some hitting and some defense.

10) Did I mention that it feels great to be a ,500 team.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

614D4542496E594F5F2C0 wrote: Put me down for the column that the Bucs would never see .500 this year after the 1-6 start.  Great to see the team win 3 series in a row on the road.

A couple of thoughts:

1)  As good as Hayes has been in his limited play, it appears to me that Reynolds is the best hitter and the most sound fundamental player on the team; good baserunner, even though he is not fast, good defensively and seems to always throw to the right base, and is aware of what is going on on the field. 

2)  The starters are no great shakes, but they have generally pitched okay or better during the run to .500.  Anderson and Brubaker going 6+ in back-to-back games helped, as has no one getting completely blown out.  To date, Anderson has been a good signing.

3)  I am often critical of Shelton.  That said, I generally liked how he managed the pen today.   Stratton often makes me nervous (he always seems that he is on the verge of collapse), but it was good to see him go 2 today and that Bednar, rather than Crick or Rodriguez, was used to finish the game.

4)  Speaking of Crick, while he is often wild (make that very wild), he has been an asset so far.  I doubt that this will continue for long, but if he is pitching well, trot him out there and hope that someone will overpay for him in June/July.

5)  The batting averages for the bottom 3 - 4 in the Pirate batting order are abysmal.  Only Stallings among T. Frazier, Newman and Polanco were hitting above .200 when the game started. (I also acknowledge that Polanco is now above .200 with his 3 hits today).  However, in watching the games, the same has been true of nearly all teams that the Pirates have played. In short, the Pirates may not be the only team who lack  depth offensively.

6)  I no longer fear the first baseman trying to make a 3-6-3 double-play.   Moran has adapted well to first, except when it comes to fielding pop-ups.  To date, he hasn't seemed to adjust to the different angle on pop-ups playing first rather than third.

7) Evans is starting to chase the high fastball.  Hopefully he can adjust and can continue being a productive player.

8)  As others have noted, T. Frazier is off to a disappointing start.  With Hayes still ailing, the Pirates need another player who can hit, particularly someone who will typically be on the bench.

9)  I assume that Castro will be sent down when Tom is added to the roster.  Gotta hope that Tom can add some hitting and some defense.

10)  Did I mention that it feels great to be a ,500 team.      
Agreed. As for Crick, it seems like they have convinced him to stop relying on the huge movement on his breaking ball that he can't control. That seemed to be his bread and butter pitch but more often than not he just walked batters because the break was so dramatic that it was way out of the strike zone. So far this season he's around the plate more often and not throwing that breaking ball as much.