68M Opening day salary

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

68M Opening day salary

Post by Bobster21 »

3133292F395C0 wrote: I think that article pretty much sums it up. We all want that Illich guy who poured money into the Tigers, willing to lose his own money year after year as he chased a winning team, but that's not Nutting, and never will be.
I don't think we want a guy willing to lose his money. We just want a guy willing to spend enough to be legitimately competitive. Nutting won't even approach the average MLB payroll and his GM says their goal is to win 78-82 games and hope to get lucky.
BenM

68M Opening day salary

Post by BenM »

The newspaper business is tough and has been in decline for over a decade. He's not making money from it.

The Pirates are his cash flow.
PMike

68M Opening day salary

Post by PMike »

31322B2C2D2C063023342F3C292868282332460 wrote: Well, I discovered my login still works.

The fact is, you can pretty much get their payroll by starting from a $30M profit every year and working backward.  Every time profit figures get reported or estimated (or operating income when it's Forbes, which isn't quite the same as profit but shouldn't be too far off), it comes out at $30M minimum.

It's just bizarre to see that nice, smooth graph line with the Pirates when everybody else's zigzags based on where they are in the success cycle.  The Pirates' motto under McClatchy/Littlefield should have been "The Drive for 75."  Now it should be ".500 Forever."

Great article! Nice to see you post here again!

A couple of questions:

It wasn't a surprise to see the Pirates gentle increase wave and drop in spending. However, the huge spikes from the other markets were really jarring. Were you surprised by the other teams and their jumps compared to the Pirates, especially in picture form?

Who do you think is calling these financial shots? Is this all Nutting? The Pirates (FO and operations) under NH have always been about advanced metrics and figuring out creative ways of being competitive. This financial trajectory shows a complete lack of acknowledgement of the rest of the league, successful trends, or advanced analytics.
Ecbucs

68M Opening day salary

Post by Ecbucs »

547974656273642427160 wrote: One question about this payroll stuff.  Say the Bucs sign Machado for #30 mil a year.  With cheapskate Nutting pull the purse strings what does that mean to the good Bucs players that will become FAs or have salary increases due to arbitration in the future?  With all the money going to Machado I would bet that Nutting will not spend on anything else.

Besides, does Machado put is over the top and make us an instant top contender not just for the NL Central but the whole WS shebang?  Not in the least.  I pass on Machado and Harper and go after some other top line FA or 2 first.

Did you actually write "say the Bucs sign Machado ?" You have a better chance of dating Kate Upton than seeing Machado in a Pirate uniform.
I believe Possum has made it very clear to Kate that he's not interested! No means no!

Mrs. Possum may have something to do with that too.

:)
DemDog

68M Opening day salary

Post by DemDog »

517776617767140 wrote: One question about this payroll stuff.  Say the Bucs sign Machado for #30 mil a year.  With cheapskate Nutting pull the purse strings what does that mean to the good Bucs players that will become FAs or have salary increases due to arbitration in the future?  With all the money going to Machado I would bet that Nutting will not spend on anything else.

Besides, does Machado put is over the top and make us an instant top contender not just for the NL Central but the whole WS shebang?  Not in the least.  I pass on Machado and Harper and go after some other top line FA or 2 first.

Did you actually write "say the Bucs sign Machado ?" You have a better chance of dating Kate Upton than seeing Machado in a Pirate uniform.
I believe Possum has made it very clear to Kate that he's not interested! No means no!

Mrs. Possum may have something to do with that too.

:)

Kate would be just a one night stand but Mrs. Possum is for life! How lucky I am. :)
wtmjkj@verizon.net

68M Opening day salary

Post by wtmjkj@verizon.net »

485571737D180 wrote:

It wasn't a surprise to see the Pirates gentle increase wave and drop in spending.  However, the huge spikes from the other markets were really jarring.  Were you surprised by the other teams and their jumps compared to the Pirates, especially in picture form?

I wasn't surprised when I did the charts because I already knew that those teams had had payroll spikes. I was a little surprised when I first started noticing this, but when you see that there are also sharp drops with most teams, you can see that they're not adhering to a strict, one-year cycle where they have to see a profit every year. As long as the peak is temporary, nothing bad is going to happen. And the real money is in the franchise value, anyway.

Who do you think is calling these financial shots?  Is this all Nutting?

A mandated, bottom-line profit would definitely be an ownership decision. The pattern is just too pronounced to be anything less.

This financial trajectory shows a complete lack of acknowledgement of the rest of the league, successful trends, or advanced analytics.

Yep, the lower-revenue teams that have had success accepted the reality of the success cycle. The Pirates' entire business plan is an attempt to deny it.
steve49

68M Opening day salary

Post by steve49 »

406D60717667703033020 wrote: One question about this payroll stuff.  Say the Bucs sign Machado for #30 mil a year.  With cheapskate Nutting pull the purse strings what does that mean to the good Bucs players that will become FAs or have salary increases due to arbitration in the future?  With all the money going to Machado I would bet that Nutting will not spend on anything else.

I'm beginning to realize that those who know Possum better than me , consider him a stud ?
rucker59@gmail.com

68M Opening day salary

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

7A7D6C7F6C3D30090 wrote: One question about this payroll stuff.  Say the Bucs sign Machado for #30 mil a year.  With cheapskate Nutting pull the purse strings what does that mean to the good Bucs players that will become FAs or have salary increases due to arbitration in the future?  With all the money going to Machado I would bet that Nutting will not spend on anything else.

I'm beginning to realize that those who know Possum better than me , consider him a stud ?

Boyish good looks with a hint of “bad boy” (so my wife says) that the girls love; an air of confidence and just a bit of aloftness, he commands any room he walks into (“why can’t you be more like Possum!” my wife says); a quick and deadly wit, a steel trap intellect (“BE QUIET, I’m listening to Possum” my wife yells at me). 

Kate dreams of Possum, but I know for a fact He has eyes only for Mrs Possum, trust me, Kate has no chance. 
steve49

68M Opening day salary

Post by steve49 »

3334222A2433747801262C20282D6F222E2C410 wrote: One question about this payroll stuff.  Say the Bucs sign Machado for #30 mil a year.  With cheapskate Nutting pull the purse strings what does that mean to the good Bucs players that will become FAs or have salary increases due to arbitration in the future?  With all the money going to Machado I would bet that Nutting will not spend on anything else.

Boyish good looks with a hint of “bad boy” (so my wife says) that the girls love; an air of confidence and just a bit of aloftness, he commands any room he walks into (“why can’t you be more like Possum!” my wife says); a quick and deadly wit, a steel trap intellect (“BE QUIET, I’m listening to Possum” my wife yells at me). 

Kate dreams of Possum, but I know for a fact He has eyes only for Mrs Possum, trust me, Kate has no chance. 

Does this all mean there is a chance Nutting signs Machado ? I'm pumped !
DemDog

68M Opening day salary

Post by DemDog »

Maybe Mrs. Possum and I should start up a reality show titled "Keeping Up with the Possum's" ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D