Rule changes 2022

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave2

Rule changes 2022

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

547974656273642427160 wrote: https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/356 ... ule-remain

I hated this rule (I guess I hate all rule changes) but did get used to it as season went on.  I don't think it is needed but no one asked me.
I hate it so much, I don't watch games after 9 innings.
I thought of you as soon as I saw it was announced
IABucFan

Rule changes 2022

Post by IABucFan »

I hate this sport. It's not baseball anymore.
3pirates3

Rule changes 2022

Post by 3pirates3 »

IABucFan

Rule changes 2022

Post by IABucFan »

The one rule change I don't mind is the pitch clock, because, at least in theory, my understanding is that it's actually always been a rule, it's just never been enforced. I'm still skeptical of it though. I like how one player said, "I have to go at my pace, not the commissioner's." It isn't clear to me how the third base coach gives signs to the batter and runners. They come from the manager, to the third base coach, to the batter/runners. That takes time.

Or, is it that baseball really just wants guys up there swinging away for the fences? Is that what we're trying to get? Glorified home run derby? I'd think that it is, except for the fact that by limiting pickoff attempts, and making bigger bases, thus shortening the baselines, they're actually trying to encourage stolen bases.

But seriously...how do you signal "take," or "hit and run," or "steal?" Or anything else? We had twelve signs in high school, and they were insanely complex. Far more than the Little League, "If I touch my belt, it means "steal" signs." If that was what we were doing in high school, I can only imagine how complex they are at the MLB level in order to prevent sign stealing.

On that note, and I realize this was a thing last year, but I didn't watch a single game last year, I'm not a fan of the electronic pitch calling thingy. Catchers being able to call signs, the potential for someone on second base to steal them, and even the potential of being crossed up, leading to a passed ball or wild pitch, is part of the game and has been since the game was started. In my mind, it's a shame that they're taking that away.

It will be the same thing when robo umps call balls and strikes. Yes, they'll get every pitch right. Great. But pitch framing is a real skill that some catchers have and others don't. Robo umps make that skill obsolete. But hey, I guess I'm just an old fuddy duddy millenial who can't get with the times.
Surgnbuck

Rule changes 2022

Post by Surgnbuck »

0B0300372104232C420 wrote: I hate this sport. It's not baseball anymore.
Seriously, how is it not baseball? The entire premise of the game is the batter vs. the pitcher, and who scores more runs.

The pitch clock is awesome. They talked about the pace of play in the 1979 World Series FCOL, this stuff isn't new. Do you want games broadcast or not? They have time slots that MLB would go over way more than anything else.

I don't like reducing the number of throw over to the bases. But that really wasn't a problem. It was mentioned during a broadcast of a national televised game, where John Smoltz said, "take your lead and go on the first move, no one throws over more than three times."

I don't like the ghost runner. But you know who does? The vast majority of players. You know what the vast majority of players hate most? Extra inning games.

Never a fan of the DH, but they wanted it implemented for the same reasons they did in 1973, back in the 1920's. Why didn't they? A couple of skin flint owners. But those who love pitchers hitting, they cite the vast exceptions, not the rule. Got to have a double switch, or it isn't baseball right?

The bases are not these giant pizza boxes, and their larger size is not discernible to the naked eye from the stands. So that's a non-issue.

I don't like the ban on the shift. But teams are still going to get creative with it, and already have. They're just leaving left field open.

The game has been a HR derby ever since the live ball. I don't ever read anyone complaining about that being introduced. Players want paid, and until the owners pay guys who get on base too, that aspect isn't changing much. So if you can't hit 15 HR's or so, your career is either a journeyman "super utility guy", a catcher, or a pitcher.

The players like the pitch com. Why would a fan care how the pitcher is getting his signs? Yes, staring into a sweaty crotch on television as the catcher lays out his fingers is such an integral part of the game.

There's always stuff they do that people love or hate. I don't get the "I'm done with this" though. I hate artificial turf, domes, the huge gloves, and the sliding mitts. I hate umpires are not publicly called out on egregious calls, and smirk about them most of the time. Angel Hernandez has parlayed his career as a complete buffoon, and making mint money from his celebrity. He doesn't care. Where's the integrity in the game there?

Watch a few games if you truly haven't watched any in a while. Just like the screens, which I complained about, I have to admit when you sit behind them, you eventually don't even notice they're there. I think if you'd just give it a chance, you won't even really notice the changes, except the clock which is plainly visible.

IABucFan

Rule changes 2022

Post by IABucFan »

6F494E5B525E495F573C0 wrote:

Seriously, how is it not baseball? The entire premise of the game is the batter vs. the pitcher, and who scores more runs.

The pitch clock is awesome. They talked about the pace of play in the 1979 World Series FCOL, this stuff isn't new. Do you want games broadcast or not? They have time slots that MLB would go over way more than anything else.

I don't like reducing the number of throw over to the bases. But that really wasn't a problem. It was mentioned during a broadcast of a national televised game, where John Smoltz said, "take your lead and go on the first move, no one throws over more than three times."

I don't like the ghost runner. But you know who does? The vast majority of players. You know what the vast majority of players hate most? Extra inning games.

Never a fan of the DH, but they wanted it implemented for the same reasons they did in 1973, back in the 1920's. Why didn't they? A couple of skin flint owners. But those who love pitchers hitting, they cite the vast exceptions, not the rule. Got to have a double switch, or it isn't baseball right?

The bases are not these giant pizza boxes, and their larger size is not discernible to the naked eye from the stands. So that's a non-issue.

I don't like the ban on the shift. But teams are still going to get creative with it, and already have. They're just leaving left field open.

The game has been a HR derby ever since the live ball. I don't ever read anyone complaining about that being introduced. Players want paid, and until the owners pay guys who get on base too, that aspect isn't changing much. So if you can't hit 15 HR's or so, your career is either a journeyman "super utility guy", a catcher, or a pitcher.

The players like the pitch com. Why would a fan care how the pitcher is getting his signs? Yes, staring into a sweaty crotch on television as the catcher lays out his fingers is such an integral part of the game.

There's always stuff they do that people love or hate. I don't get the "I'm done with this" though. I hate artificial turf, domes, the huge gloves, and the sliding mitts. I hate umpires are not publicly called out on egregious calls, and smirk about them most of the time. Angel Hernandez has parlayed his career as a complete buffoon, and making mint money from his celebrity. He doesn't care. Where's the integrity in the game there?

Watch a few games if you truly haven't watched any in a while. Just like the screens, which I complained about, I have to admit when you sit behind them, you eventually don't even notice they're there. I think if you'd just give it a chance, you won't even really notice the changes, except the clock which is plainly visible.

I really appreciate this post. I want to go point by point, but can't find the button to quote individual lines. So, please bare with me here.

1. Saying "it's not baseball" is hyperbole. It's a philosophical debate as to how far you can tinker on the peripherals before you alter the essence of the thing. Have they altered the essence of what makes baseball, baseball? Probably not...but they've changed so much on the peripherals, it just seems to me that we're already dangerously close to that precipice, if we haven't already crossed it.

I fully expect to see outfield restraining lines and courtesy runners in the very near future. Somewhat less likely will be moving the mound back, but it wouldn't shock me if that's coming one day, too.

2. Yes, I like the pitch clock, as I said above. But, the great thing about baseball is that it's timeless. It doesn't fit into a neat window like the other sports. Yes, I want games broadcast, but I really don't see how a game that lasts four hours when it was originally scheduled for three precludes that. With 1000+ channels and infinite streaming possibilities available, it shouldn't really be an issue.

The bigger issue is people's waning attention spans, but that's a different rant for a different day.

3. Even if multiple throws over weren't a problem, the issue for me is the now well-established premise that the commissioner's office can impact the action on the field if they don't like something. Eventually, the pitcher has to deliver the ball to the plate. If he throws over to first base five times because Billy Hamilton is on, it seems to me that's his prerogative. Ultimately, I don't think it will matter much, because you CAN throw over a third time. You just have to get the guy, or it's a balk. It's not like the runner can stand 45 feet off the base. It's just the principle of the thing that I don't like. If what Smoltz said was accurate, why change the rule?

This applies to many of your other points (e.g. the electronic pitch thing).

4. Finally, you're right. The players like the ghosty on second five-year old pick-up game in the backyard rule. But it just seems wrong to me that the leadoff man can win a game with a walk-off single.

The best game I ever saw was 2015, Pirates vs. Cardinals. The McCutchen walk-off game. So much of that game wouldn't have happened under today's rules. Burnett's home run. McCutchen facing the lefty because the Cards were out of pitchers. 14 innings...the ghost runner would have likely ended it by the 11th at the latest.

So much of what makes baseball great, in my mind, has been taken away from us in the last few years in favor of, frankly, a dumbed down version that appeals to the common fan.

But I think what really grates on me is the condescending attitude that so many have made over the past few years towards people like me. I remember reading one article on the NL DH. The line that just frosted me was, "It's time. Get over it." Almost like they were saying, "Your opinion doesn't matter. This is what we're doing. Don't like it? Screw you!" To which I more or less said, "Fine...if MLB doesn't want me as a fan, I don't want to be a fan anymore."

As such, I haven't watched a game in over three years, since before COVID.

Which leads me to my final point, and why I SO appreciated your post. You said, "Watch a few games if you truly haven't watched any in a while. Just like the screens, which I complained about, I have to admit when you sit behind them, you eventually don't even notice they're there. I think if you'd just give it a chance, you won't even really notice the changes."

I'm willing. I honestly miss baseball. I love baseball. It's like a relative with whom I had a falling out, but desperately want to see over Christmas. I just need someone to invite me back, if that makes sense.

I can't quite describe it...I feel like MLB doesn't want me to be a fan, but I want to be a fan. I want to like baseball again. I'm hoping it can happen. Thank you for inviting me back.
GreenWeenie

Rule changes 2022

Post by GreenWeenie »

The Pirates have done more to make me lessen my love for the sport of baseball than anything "MLB" has ever done.  Yet, I love baseball beyond the Pirates, so I accept the situation for what it is.

The sport is beauty, and like all other beautiful things we have in life, beauty evolves.  Back in the 50's, Marilyn Monoroe and Jayne Mansfield were widely considered the beauty symbols.  Today, it's a different type.  Back in the 1970s, I loved artificial turf.  We won a lot of games on it.  Opponents- get this- respected us when they came to town.  These days, we lose on natural grass, so I don't like it as much as others do.  I'm not the same person as I was in the 1960s, and i don't expect MLB to remain the same.

No one at MLB hq cares what some Pirates fan in Wilmington, DE thinks about decisions they make, and they shouldn't.  I don't have that expectation.  It's not realistic.  It's a billion dollar enterprise.  They care about the masses.  They do their work.

The train leaves the station regardless of whether I'm on it.  I'm not able to hold it back.  I choose to be on board and see where each year's trip's taking us.  It hasn't been the most pleasant of rides for a long time, but that's the way it goes.

If i was to decide to hop off at some stop along the way, it doesn't prevent anyone else from their ability to enjoy things.  I can't imagine that happening, but I suppose that it's possible. 
SyrBucco

Rule changes 2022

Post by SyrBucco »

I'm returning to PNC this year after a two-year hiatus in protest of our failure to field a competitive team. Really looking forward to it!

Of all the Rule changes, I dislike two: requirement that a pitcher face three batters (I would have gone for 2 batters) and the the three throw-overs/balk rule. Again, I think they overdid it, and would have supported 4 or 5 throwovers. The rule change I like the most is the pitch clock. The games have a quick pace that, frankly, holds my attention better. I always liked the "fast workers" on the mound. Now they all are.
WildwoodDave2

Rule changes 2022

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

pitch clock gets tweaks:

MLB has clarified its new rules to allow umpires to

delay the start of the pitch clock after swings in which

a hitter loses his footing or when a pitcher covers First

Base, Third or Home. this makes sense.

Also if a catcher ends an inning on base, at bat or on deck,

the umpire may determine the catcher needs additional time and allow the pitcher another warmup and the catcher to throw to second base

Finally, whether a defensive team violated new shift restrictions will be subject to video review
3pirates3

Rule changes 2022

Post by 3pirates3 »