Game Thread 5/8/2022 Pirates vs. Reds

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

392123242433222538392F4A0 wrote: Thompson was pulled after 5 innings, 2 hits, 0 runs, 0 BBs, 79 pitches. No reason to pull him and hope the BP can do as well as the guy they are replacing. Even good relievers can have bad days. Reds couldn't get anything going against Thompson but were handed the game by the BP. I can only conclude this is the result Shelton wants. Benches Hayes for getting 3 hits in game 2 yesterday and pulls Thompson because the Reds can't score against him. Both Shelton's integrity and intelligence have to come under question.
I guess my big concern is his boss.  If I was the boss and was watching this fiasco, I'm sure I would fire the guy in a heart beat.  Soooo the only thing you can conclude is Cherington is on board with this soooo that really really concerns me about whether this misery is ever going to end or at least get better.  We can't endure 2 or 3 more years just to find out we have the wrong leadership again.
I believe that either Shelton is under orders to tank or Cherington sees that Shelton is so incompetent that they will lose without trying. I don't believe Cherington is so stupid that he can't see how detrimental Shelton is to the team. So this must be the result he wants.
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

Blocked out from seeing any Reds or Cardinals games so I did not see the game today. However, whether we call it indifference, tanking, or whatever, it does appear the Pirates are attempting to suppress any premature success.

Other teams (certainly Houston) have used this formula recently, and it is not unique to baseball. I just deplore going this route. I don’t believe anyone thinks Cherrington is dumb, and no one can do as many dumb things as Shelton and retain his job. But what are they supposed to say, “hey we are going to tank until all the stars are aligned?”

Hopefully the boys on the farm start playing well so they can pressure TBMTIB 2.0 to call them up. We need to break this cycle of insanity, invest in some added pieces, and maybe allow the starting lineup to play six games a week.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

57507C6B7D1E0 wrote: Blocked out from seeing any Reds or Cardinals games so I did not see the game today.  However, whether we call it indifference, tanking, or whatever, it does appear the Pirates are attempting to suppress any premature success.

Other teams (certainly Houston) have used this formula recently, and it is not unique to baseball.  I just deplore going this route.  I don’t believe anyone thinks Cherrington is dumb, and no one can do as many dumb things as Shelton and retain his job.  But what are they supposed to say, “hey we are going to tank until all the stars are aligned?” 

Hopefully the boys on the farm start playing well so they can pressure TBMTIB 2.0 to call them up.  We need to break this cycle of insanity, invest in some added pieces, and maybe allow the starting lineup to play six games a week.
Lose two out of three to the lowly Reds and Moran comes

back to bite the hand of the team that once fed him
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

1314382F395A0 wrote: Blocked out from seeing any Reds or Cardinals games so I did not see the game today.  However, whether we call it indifference, tanking, or whatever, it does appear the Pirates are attempting to suppress any premature success.

Other teams (certainly Houston) have used this formula recently, and it is not unique to baseball.  I just deplore going this route.  I don’t believe anyone thinks Cherrington is dumb, and no one can do as many dumb things as Shelton and retain his job.  But what are they supposed to say, “hey we are going to tank until all the stars are aligned?” 

Hopefully the boys on the farm start playing well so they can pressure TBMTIB 2.0 to call them up.  We need to break this cycle of insanity, invest in some added pieces, and maybe allow the starting lineup to play six games a week.
With this manager we'll never know if we have any talented players or not. PLayers get to play one day get three hits and the next day he's on the bench, a pitcher has pitched a 2 hit gem for 5 innings and your pulled after 80 or less pitches. How could anyone succeed with this clown managing the team. Hays gets a day off after only playing 3 games this week and having 3 hits the day before. Thompson get pulled after 5 innings of 2 hit ball. This is just a mess and no one seems to see it but the fans. Administration is just oblivious to what's happening. I can't continue to watch this disaster.
jkenn13

Post by jkenn13 »

Hayes not being in the lineup today has no defendable position unless he has a injury that hasn't been disclosed.

The current state of things has me thinking that the analytics department is "assisting" in making the daily lineups and pre programing when pitching changes will be made, etc. This obviously has the full support of Ben Cherrington with Derek Shelton just following orders.

While I certainly hope that it is not true, It seems to be the only logical explanation.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5D454740405746415C5D4B2E0 wrote: Blocked out from seeing any Reds or Cardinals games so I did not see the game today.  However, whether we call it indifference, tanking, or whatever, it does appear the Pirates are attempting to suppress any premature success.

With this manager we'll never know if we have any talented players or not.  PLayers get to play one day get three hits and the next day he's on the bench, a pitcher has pitched a 2 hit gem for 5 innings and your pulled after 80 or less pitches.  How could anyone succeed with this clown managing the team.  Hays gets a day off after only playing 3 games this week and having 3 hits the day before.  Thompson get pulled after 5 innings of 2 hit ball.  This is just a mess and no one seems to see it but the fans. Administration is just oblivious to what's happening.  I can't continue to watch this disaster.
I don't think the administration is oblivious. I think it's what they want. Tanking means a better draft slot and more bonus pool money. If Shelton isn't trying to lose under orders from above, then Cherington is using Shelton's incompetence to achieve the same purpose.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

Reynolds and Hayes need to take it upon themselves to tell Shelton they’re to be in the line-up every night until they tell him they need a day off.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Hayes (and everyone) was off Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.

It's INEXCUSABLE to "rest" Hayes on Sunday.

Two things I predicted would happen this weekend:

1. Pirates would lose the series to a team that had lost 20 of 21

2. Hayes would get Sunday off after resting all week.

The Pirates are no better than the Reds. Very sad ... but very true.

skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

63626C6767383A090 wrote: Hayes not being in the lineup today has no defendable position unless he has a injury that hasn't been disclosed. 

The current state of things has me thinking that the analytics department is "assisting" in making the daily lineups and pre programing when pitching changes will be made, etc. This obviously has the full support of Ben Cherrington with Derek Shelton just following orders.

While I certainly hope that it is not true, It seems to be the only logical explanation.

This reminds me of my old IT days, "Garbage in, Garbage out".  It's obvious if they're using analytics they're something wrong with the input cause what it's telling them is absolutely ridiculous.  Just use some baseball common sense.  Hayes didn't need off today, Tucker has no business taking up a roster spot, nor does VanMeter and many others that I can't recall.  Bring up someone whose not proven they aren't Major League material.  Move on from these castoff and proven failures.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

It's becoming more obvious that the goal this year is to have the worst record possible so BC can grab one more high draft pick. The roster is the evidence. Shelton overseeing this plan is helping tremendously, whether he's being instructed from above or he's doing it on his own.

Just one more season of this, guys. Next year is the beginning of being on the road to respectability. In the meantime, stay away from bridges and sharp objects. We've all earned the right to live long enough to see it.