general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

0D1D1C2B3D3D315E0 wrote: His track record has got worse the last two years, yes I agree. But why aren't you acknowledging the previous seven years? He turned around one of the worst farm systems ever (Yes, it was horrible). He built a team with many good trades, signings, and extensions to make the playoffs three years in a row. Not many teams do that or have done that.

Again, overall I think he has been very good. I don't know why people are rating him based on 2016 & 2017 only. The positives outweigh the negatives so far. Yeah, that could change but it hasn't yet.

Very good is a joke.  Great, he did well for three or four years ... made some good moves in which we found a way to get into the wild card game.  The last two years, we have done what?  Nutting is an awful owner to work for.  However, you look at this franchise right now, its garbage again.  You think it will improve next year as far as other good pieces coming in?  Nope.  I gave him credit for good moves.  Why can't you acknowledge a bad move when it happens?  I shake my head at the way you defend this organization and the way its trending and you want to give him a complete pass for the last two years?  This is resembling what we had for two decades before.  As Bobster said  lets not give him a parade for making a horrible organization less horrible.  You see to want to create a statue and put him next to Clemente.

Again, why are you just looking at the last two years?

You can go back and look, I've critical of many moves. It's just the positives outweigh the negatives since he has taken over.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7C777F7376776C292F586179707777367B77180 wrote: His track record has got worse the last two years, yes I agree. But why aren't you acknowledging the previous seven years? He turned around one of the worst farm systems ever (Yes, it was horrible). He built a team with many good trades, signings, and extensions to make the playoffs three years in a row. Not many teams do that or have done that.

Again, overall I think he has been very good. I don't know why people are rating him based on 2016 & 2017 only. The positives outweigh the negatives so far. Yeah, that could change but it hasn't yet.

Very good is a joke.  Great, he did well for three or four years ... made some good moves in which we found a way to get into the wild card game.  The last two years, we have done what?  Nutting is an awful owner to work for.  However, you look at this franchise right now, its garbage again.  You think it will improve next year as far as other good pieces coming in?  Nope.  I gave him credit for good moves.  Why can't you acknowledge a bad move when it happens?  I shake my head at the way you defend this organization and the way its trending and you want to give him a complete pass for the last two years?  This is resembling what we had for two decades before.  As Bobster said  lets not give him a parade for making a horrible organization less horrible.  You see to want to create a statue and put him next to Clemente.

You can go back and look, I've critical of many moves. It's just the positives outweigh the negatives since he has taken over.
Dog, it sounds like you're saying that as long as we win a few battles it's ok to lose the war.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

414A424E4B4A511412655C444D4A4A0B464A250 wrote: His track record has got worse the last two years, yes I agree. But why aren't you acknowledging the previous seven years? He turned around one of the worst farm systems ever (Yes, it was horrible). He built a team with many good trades, signings, and extensions to make the playoffs three years in a row. Not many teams do that or have done that.

Because he is the GM of the team now and it has regressed quite a bit. Those wild card teams are so far ahead of this team its not funny. I think the last two years are pertinent to use as ammo because this team is one of the worst out there and it was constructed by him.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

I agree the team has regressed. I have said that many times. Every team is going to have up and down years. Not many teams can say they made the playoffs three out of the last five years. Three out of six, seven, or eight will be bad. I agree. But they aren't there yet. That's my point. The good has outweighed the bad. But people keep focusing on the last two years and not the whole picture. That's what I don't get.

Trust me, if they don't make the playoffs again, I will be very critical. Until then, I am willing to give Huntington the benefit of the doubt. These last two years don't erase what he has done to that point. At least, not to me.

About 2017, if you don't want to cut him some slack because of Kang and Marte (I've been very critical how the team handled the Kang situation too), that is fine. But I will. 2018 is a big year to turn this around. There could be a big trade/extension involving the team's best player.

Again, 2016 & 2017 don't erase the previous years. I am also one who doesn't go to a restaurant ten times and complain about the one time I got bad food/service. I talk about about the other nine times and why I went back to the same restaurant.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

707B737F7A7B602523546D757C7B7B3A777B140 wrote: I agree the team has regressed. I have said that many times. Every team is going to have up and down years. Not many teams can say they made the playoffs three out of the last five years. Three out of six, seven, or eight will be bad. I agree.  But they aren't there yet. That's my point. The good has outweighed the bad. But people keep focusing on the last two years and not the whole picture. That's what I don't get.

Trust me, if they don't make the playoffs again, I will be very critical.  Until then, I am willing to give Huntington the benefit of the doubt. These last two years don't erase what he has done to that point. At least, not to me.

About 2017, if you don't want to cut him some slack because of Kang and Marte (I've been very critical how the team handled the Kang situation too), that is fine. But I will.  2018 is a big year to turn this around. There could be a big trade/extension involving the team's best player.

Again, 2016 & 2017 don't erase the previous years. I am also one who doesn't go to a restaurant ten times and complain about the one time I got bad food/service. I talk about about the other nine times and why I went back to the same restaurant.

So you're saying 2018 is the year for you eh?   If this isn't a winning team next year, you're ready to move on? So is it 3 straight years of bad meals before you agree that the resturant is being run poorly?
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

It takes some people a lot longer. I am only just now really starting to sour on Huntington and Hurdle, and I'm not sure what to think of Coonelly because I'm not even sure what he does.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

3431363038322B363F2C2A275E0 wrote: It takes some people a lot longer.  I am only just now really starting to sour on Huntington and Hurdle, and I'm not sure what to think of Coonelly because I'm not even sure what he does.
He puts the rubber bands on Nutting's money. :)
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

in hindsight, everything was going along fine until the Neil Walker trade--which i was okay with and still am in theory (we chose the wrong return). That almost seems a tipping point of sorts. It's been some rough transactions since then, combined with some non-moves. I'd argue that the thinking behind the process has been about the same though (just worse execution of the plan). I'm willing to allow more time but I understand why others aren't.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

5F565E4F413B0 wrote: I agree the team has regressed. I have said that many times. Every team is going to have up and down years. Not many teams can say they made the playoffs three out of the last five years. Three out of six, seven, or eight will be bad. I agree.  But they aren't there yet. That's my point. The good has outweighed the bad. But people keep focusing on the last two years and not the whole picture. That's what I don't get.

Trust me, if they don't make the playoffs again, I will be very critical.  Until then, I am willing to give Huntington the benefit of the doubt. These last two years don't erase what he has done to that point. At least, not to me.

About 2017, if you don't want to cut him some slack because of Kang and Marte (I've been very critical how the team handled the Kang situation too), that is fine. But I will.  2018 is a big year to turn this around. There could be a big trade/extension involving the team's best player.

So you're saying 2018 is the year for you eh?   If this isn't a winning team next year, you're ready to move on?   So is it 3 straight years of bad meals before you agree that the resturant is being run poorly?

No, not at all. I don't know what will happen in 2018. It is still 2017. I don't know the plan. Actually, none of us do.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

515A525E5B5A410402754C545D5A5A1B565A350 wrote: I agree the team has regressed. I have said that many times. Every team is going to have up and down years. Not many teams can say they made the playoffs three out of the last five years. Three out of six, seven, or eight will be bad. I agree.  But they aren't there yet. That's my point. The good has outweighed the bad. But people keep focusing on the last two years and not the whole picture. That's what I don't get.

2016 and 2017 have erased the previous years for me. 2013, 2014 and 2015 erased 2009 to 2012. If there were less questions heading into 2018 than there are I could see giving another year.

But I don't see that 2017 has done anything to think that 2018 will be better. There are too many cracks in the line up and pitching.