Bucs vs Royals - 9/18 . . .

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

How about the 3rd string and journeyman catchers who have come up and absolutely helped the Buccos? Last nite it was Ryan Lavarnway. So much fun seeing guys like this make some kind of impact on this disappointing team.

Not set on Osuna being much help in the future. Nice fielder but not hitting worth crap. Need to move on from him.

As for Mercer and JHay, I thank them for all that they have given and done for the Buccos during their careers here but it is time to give them a 12 game rest other than a PH appearance once or twice. Let the Kevin's play no matter what they do we need to see as much from them as possible so informed off-season decisions can be made concerning their futures with the Buccos.

Also play Frazier everyday. Preferably at 2B with no rest unless he is ailing.

As for Marte, to heck with Clint trying to get into his head and teach him some smarts. Get Walkie or The Rock to sit down, smack him upside the head tell him how much talent he is wasting. Let him know that if he kept his head in the game the Buccos might be challenging for the WC or maybe even the division.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

18393118333B5C0 wrote: How about the 3rd string and journeyman catchers who have come up and absolutely helped the Buccos?  Last nite it was Ryan Lavarnway.  So much fun seeing guys like this make some kind of impact on this disappointing team.

Not set on Osuna being much help in the future.  Nice fielder but not hitting worth crap.  Need to move on from him. 

As for Mercer and JHay, I thank them for all that they have given and done for the Buccos during their careers here but it is time to give them a 12 game rest other than a PH appearance once or twice.  Let the Kevin's play no matter what they do we need to see as much from them as possible so informed off-season decisions can be made concerning their futures with the Buccos. 

Also play Frazier everyday.  Preferably at 2B with no rest unless he is ailing. 

As for Marte, to heck with Clint trying to get into his head and teach him some smarts.  Get Walkie or The Rock to sit down, smack him upside the head tell him how much talent he is wasting.  Let him know that if he kept his head in the game the Buccos might be challenging for the WC or maybe even the division.
Agree with all of that except Osuna. He's hit well at every level in the minors including .321 this year at Indy. Then he gets to the Bucs and sits much more than he plays. It's tough to adjust to a higher level of pitching when seeing it sporadically. I hope he starts these next 2 weeks but that won't happen with Bell and Moran also playing a lot. I would like to see Osuna fill Freese's role next year at 3B-1B and get fairly regular ABs.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

That was quite a sad performance from the offense last night. Two runs against that KC pitching staff, wow.

And yeah, the sooner Harrison and Mercer are gone, the better. Also, I'm getting less sold on Luplow by the game. A competent hitting corner guy has to be brought in this offseason to man RF until Polanco returns.

Kramer is showing flashes, so I think he can take a large role next year. Newman, not sure yet.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

193E2F2B2E330C382F2E2E334A0 wrote: With the Pirates now 2 games over .500 at 76-74 think back to all the games Hurdle blew back in July and August that if the Pirates have 3-4 more wins right now they would be right around 9-10 games over .500 and probably 3 games back of a wildcard spot still with 12 games left and probably still right in the thick of the wildcard race.

Personally, I think back to that one week stretch in late May/early June when Vazquez blew something like four saves in a row. The guy's been stellar for the most part, but losses where you blow a ninth inning lead sting.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

6C414C5D5A4B5C1C1F2E0 wrote: How about the 3rd string and journeyman catchers who have come up and absolutely helped the Buccos?  Last nite it was Ryan Lavarnway.  So much fun seeing guys like this make some kind of impact on this disappointing team.

Not set on Osuna being much help in the future.  Nice fielder but not hitting worth crap.  Need to move on from him. 

As for Mercer and JHay, I thank them for all that they have given and done for the Buccos during their careers here but it is time to give them a 12 game rest other than a PH appearance once or twice.  Let the Kevin's play no matter what they do we need to see as much from them as possible so informed off-season decisions can be made concerning their futures with the Buccos. 

As for Marte, to heck with Clint trying to get into his head and teach him some smarts.  Get Walkie or The Rock to sit down, smack him upside the head tell him how much talent he is wasting.  Let him know that if he kept his head in the game the Buccos might be challenging for the WC or maybe even the division.
Agree with all of that except Osuna. He's hit well at every level in the minors including .321 this year at Indy. Then he gets to the Bucs and sits much more than he plays. It's tough to adjust to a higher level of pitching when seeing it sporadically. I hope he starts these next 2 weeks but that won't happen with Bell and Moran also playing a lot. I would like to see Osuna fill Freese's role next year at 3B-1B and get fairly regular ABs.

I agree on Osuna - unless team has already given up on him for next year, he should play every day the rest of this season. Even though he sucks in the outfield, it would be worth playing him there for a game or two to get his bat in lineup.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

002627302636450 wrote: How about the 3rd string and journeyman catchers who have come up and absolutely helped the Buccos?  Last nite it was Ryan Lavarnway.  So much fun seeing guys like this make some kind of impact on this disappointing team.

I agree on Osuna - unless team has already given up on him for next year, he should play every day the rest of this season.  Even though he sucks in the outfield, it would be worth playing him there for a game or two to get his bat in lineup. 

I stand corrected on my opinion of Osuna. But I would not count on him to be the regular 1B-3B next year. Give him some time in 2019 in the Freese role and see what he can really do. Don't do what we did with Glasnow without giving him a real chance by playing him more than a game or so a week.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

The Bucs now have a lot of folks on the expanded roster who need to play to see if they may be suited to being a contributor in 2019. At a minimum, the list includes: Osuna, Kramer, Newman, Reyes, and Luplow with a dash of Stallings. That's a lot of folks.

I would start Osuna every game at either 3rd or 1st, and mix in Kramer at 3rd as well. While Bell is hitting better and Moran is essentially a first year player, both of them have already had a lot of at bats this year.

Newman should start nearly every game at SS, and Kramer should get many of the starts at 2nd. Frazier is hitting really well, but he too is pretty much of a known quantity. Also, for someone who has a good reputation as a defensive shortstop, some of Newman's play at the position in the majors has not instilled a lot of confidence.

Luplow needs starts in either LF or RF and Reyes has earned starts at either the other corner or in the infield on a spot basis.

I want the Bucs to win every game that they can, but I also want to see who among the above belongs on the opening day roster next year.

In the pen I give more work to the Never Man. I don't see a lot of value in finding time for either Holmes or Anderson, except in a blow-out role. I also give Kingham another start, with the expectation that he will throw 4 innings and then turn the game over to Brault. Conversely, through Nova for 5 and then ask Kingham to try and close it out.

The last 12 games or so is not a world of time, but it would be good to put it to productive use. Also, don't want to get too excited about small sample sizes, but Reyes' performance has been encouraging.

m

Bucs also need to give some more opportunities to pitch to the Never Man and Kingham. Not sure we really need to learn much more about Holmes or Anderson.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

7654475A595C5B54774056565A350 wrote: I think about that all the time. All of the moronic, inexcusable, ridiculous losses. I'm estimating there have been about 8. You're right Freddy, if we just had 4 of them back, we'd be 10 games over .500 and in the race. It's a thin line between success & failure in MLB.

People like to point to that LA Clay Holmes start as a given away game because of the awful start.  At the same time (despite the finger pointing and laughing about "rest"), that was right about when the rotation started this great run.  Coincidence?  I don't know but nobody does.  But does that count as a "given away" game or should we credit several more in the win column because of a management decision?  I think this and many moves are kind of a Rorschach test, where fans see what they wanted to see anyway.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

45777B7B6F5D7E777A7F7077160 wrote: I think about that all the time. All of the moronic, inexcusable, ridiculous losses. I'm estimating there have been about 8. You're right Freddy, if we just had 4 of them back, we'd be 10 games over .500 and in the race. It's a thin line between success & failure in MLB.

People like to point to that LA Clay Holmes start as a given away game because of the awful start.  At the same time (despite the finger pointing and laughing about "rest"), that was right about when the rotation started this great run.  Coincidence?  I don't know but nobody does.  But does that count as a "given away" game or should we credit several more in the win column because of a management decision?  I think this and many moves are kind of a Rorschach test, where fans see what they wanted to see anyway.
I dunno, Sammy. Here's what I saw:

Prior to the Holmes start, the starting pitchers were going well. The rotation prior to that game was:

Williams: 5 IP/2 runs. Bucs lost 2-1.

Musgrove: 7 IP/2 runs. Bucs lost 2-0.

Taillon: 9 IP/2 runs. Bucs won 10-2.

Archer: 5 IP/2 runs. Bucs won 4-3.

Nova: 6 IP/2 runs. Bucs won 10-5.

At that point they had won 3 straight, were 4 over .500 and were 4 games behind the 2nd WC team. Then NH recalled Holmes for that start, explaining that move had been planned for a long time. So that's on him, not Hurdle. Anyway, Holmes and Sadler had given up 10 runs by the 4th inning. Bucs attempted a late comeback with 7 runs in the final 3 innings but couldn't make up the difference and lost 13-10. The next day Williams (who hadn't pitched in Colorado) continued his strong 2nd half going 7 scoreless innings in a 4-0 win. They needed a shutout that day because they scored just 1 run other than 1 fortunate swing by Bell for a rare 3-run HR. Then a 3-11 skid started with the Pirates scoring just 37 runs in those 14 games (2.6 per) and 9 of those came in 1 game so in 13 games of that 14 game skid they averaged 2.2 per game.

So the pitchers were doing well before the Holmes start. I wonder if the team became demoralized watching mgt punt on a game when they were going strong and even scoring 10 runs in a futile effort to make up for the horrible pitching that day from Holmes and Sadler. Because suddenly the hitting went south. I could credit the extra rest for the pitchers if it created a brief upsurge but they had done well before Holmes and have been consistently good since. Hard to think they are still benefiting from that 1 extra day off. IMHO, it's more likely that game had more to do with the 3-11 skid that followed (due to demoralized hitters) than with the good pitching that followed, which was already evident before Holmes. Or it could all be coincidence with nothing that happened afterward being effected by that Holmes game. But we'll never really know so it's like you said Sammy, we see what we want to see. But it sure gives food for thought.
Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

32000C0C182A09000D080700610 wrote: I think about that all the time. All of the moronic, inexcusable, ridiculous losses. I'm estimating there have been about 8. You're right Freddy, if we just had 4 of them back, we'd be 10 games over .500 and in the race. It's a thin line between success & failure in MLB.

Completely agree. This team may have never went on the pitching run without the extra day. We will never know.