Game Thread 5/27/2022 Pirates vs. Padres

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I'll play Devil's Advocate.

What would the reaction have been around here had Yoshi left, and if folks knew that the Pirates wouldn't even offer him $4 million?

If there were many unfavorable comments made here of that signing, I don't recall them.

Who would we have if not Yoshi? Whomever it would be- that guy might not have worked out, either.

I'll give a pass. $4 mil is not a large sum of MLB.... or, even Pirates money. Polanco and Marte earned more. If the Pirates can't handle a $4 million loss, then time to get out.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Forgot.

Let's keep in mind that BOB can't admit that he made a mistake by hiring Cherington, too.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

1E333E2F28392E6E6D5C0 wrote: Watched the first 4 innings. Watching the replay this morning. Great job by VanMeter to forget to step on 1B to take a throw. VanMeter just never ceases to amaze. No wonder Shelton loves him so much.

And of course Shelton looks for any reason to make a pitching change. Quintana holds SD scoreless into the 6th but gives up a lead off single. Gets Machado on an infield popup and gets Hosmer to dribble one that Heineman throws in time to 1B and gets the out call until it's realized that Shelton's love child forgot to stand on 1B to take the throw. But this is actually good news to Shelton because he was looking for any excuse to pull Quintana. And 2 runners on base, regardless of why that is, is the perfect excuse. So in comes Crowe and 2 batters later it's a 3-run HR and goodbye lead. And, oh by the way, the 3-run HR was by Luke Voit, hitting .198 and who struck out in both his previous ABs against Quintana. Good thing Shelton was smart enough to pull Quintana because someone reached on an error.
I guess Shelton felt guilty by the managing gaff by the Rockies manager the other day that probably contributed to their loss with some questionable bullpen decisions. "Bud Black worst bullpen management? Hold my beer"-Derek Shelton
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

477265656E5765656E6965000 wrote: I'll play Devil's Advocate.

What would the reaction have been around here had Yoshi left, and if folks knew that the Pirates wouldn't even offer him $4 million?

If there were many unfavorable comments made here of that signing, I don't recall them.

Who would we have if not Yoshi?  Whomever it would be- that guy might not have worked out, either.

I'll give a pass.  $4 mil is not a large sum of MLB.... or, even Pirates money.  Polanco and Marte earned more.  If the Pirates can't handle a $4 million loss, then time to get out.
That's true. Based on what Yoshi did for the Bucs last year, fans would have been irate. However, if that was the outlier it now appears to be, and Yoshi was hitting .177 for his new team, Cherington would have earned a lot of trust from fans who would be less apt to criticize future moves.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Agree.

When Ben picked him up, I would place Yoshi in that "low hanging fruit" category. The guy paid dividends- last season.

Maybe last year was the "fluke," or "career" year. Who knows? I guess there's no way to know until after the fact, with any player, when you base the decision on one year alone. I'm OK with the aggressiveness in this one case. If it was for more money and more time, that would be another story.

So, on the Yoshi decision, I won't be all that critical of Ben. Those things, unfortunately, happen. I hope that Yoshi can find his way. I take no points away from Ben for the Yoshi Extension.

WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

1C293E3E350C3E3E35323E5B0 wrote: Defeats like last night's always are the worst kind for me:  take an early lead, hold onto it until the late innings, and then lose it at the end.  I'll take a 15-0 drubbing over that kind of loss anytime.
I tried to tell that ( 15-0 drubbing over that kind of a loss)  and he completely disagreed.

I can understand that, at YOUR age, it's easy to forget certain facts.

The fact is, that we weren't talking about your standard, run-of-the-mill 15-0 drubbing as you claim.

We were talking about the current roster that lost the most lop-sided game in the franchise's existence; the worst Pirates team performance of all time.  21-0, not 15-0.

To this point, anyway.

Last night, some guys did well.  One messed up.  At 0-21, everybody had a....hand in failure.

Are you referring to me or doc?
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Doc seems to have good recollections. ;)
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

486568797E6F78383B0A0 wrote: I'll play Devil's Advocate.

Who would we have if not Yoshi?  Whomever it would be- that guy might not have worked out, either.

I'll give a pass.  $4 mil is not a large sum of MLB.... or, even Pirates money.  Polanco and Marte earned more.  If the Pirates can't handle a $4 million loss, then time to get out.
That's true. Based on what Yoshi did for the Bucs last year, fans would have been irate. However, if that was the outlier it now appears to be, and Yoshi was hitting .177 for his new team, Cherington would have earned a lot of trust from fans who would be less apt to criticize future moves. 
Not sure what happened to Yoshi, I actually thought it was a good signing based on what he did for us last year. He supplied the Pirates with more clutch home runs than anyone I can remember in our recent past. But he's lost presently I'm not sure what happened but he had the same issue for at least the 1st half of last year. So maybe bench him and start playing him last of July.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

677F7D7A7A6D7C7B666771140 wrote: I'll play Devil's Advocate.

Not sure what happened to Yoshi, I actually thought it was a good signing based on what he did for us last year.  He supplied the Pirates with more clutch home runs than anyone I can remember in our recent past.  But he's lost presently I'm not sure what happened but he had the same issue for at least the 1st half of last year.  So maybe bench him and start playing him last of July.
The knock on him before coming to the Pirates last year was that he couldn't handle a MLB fastball. But that wasn't a problem with the Pirates last year. But it seems to be again this year. He rarely pulls anything. Most balls he hits are to LF and not with power.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Last year?