4/19 Bucs@Phillies

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CutchisaBoss

4/19 Bucs@Phillies

Post by CutchisaBoss »

757C74656B110 wrote: He's 24 years old and hasn't pitched 100 innings in the majors.

His ERA is 6.63.   and 5.84 as a low leverage long man.   IDGAF how many innings you think he deserves as a starter.  He's been unable to succeed at all, in any role.   All he has to do is prove he can succeed pitching when the game is meaningless.   How hard can that be for someone that would succeed as a starter?    Answer, it's not.

Gimme a break with all the babying this guy.

He was unhitable in the minors and has the stuff to be an elite starter. The only way we get one of those is too develop one. Realities of a small market team...going out of the way to give him a chance to reach that potential is the smart play...especially when running Brault out there with a similar ERA and worse peripherals...
dogknot17@yahoo.co

4/19 Bucs@Phillies

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

6A636B7A740E0 wrote: He's 24 years old and hasn't pitched 100 innings in the majors.

His ERA is 6.63.   and 5.84 as a low leverage long man.   IDGAF how many innings you think he deserves as a starter.  He's been unable to succeed at all, in any role.   All he has to do is prove he can succeed pitching when the game is meaningless.   How hard can that be for someone that would succeed as a starter?    Answer, it's not.

Gimme a break with all the babying this guy.

Some players didn't even make it to the majors until they were 24, 25 years old. It's a small sample size for sure. It's not babying, he's a little bit removed from rookie status.
dmetz

4/19 Bucs@Phillies

Post by dmetz »

Guys, I get it.  You're going to believe in it regardless of results.   I'm not into wasting time.

His "stuff" is a mirage.  He's got two pitches that he throws, only one of which has has any control over at all.   His fastball sits 96-97.  Nice, but not a huge deal in 2018.  Theres a lot of flamethrowers out there, quite a few of them getting lit up.

There's effectively no chance at all that he will become an "elite" starter.   He doesn't have anywhere close to the pitch repetiore or control.   

Cole was contending for an NL Cy Young at 24 with mulitple plus offerings and good control.  A lot of fans didn't like  him much and blamed HIM for not becoming an elite pitcher.   He's quickly showing the problem was the mythical searage and NH, as much as it was himself.  But even that talent and actual "stuff" wasn't elite here. Glasnow is going to??  Lol come on...

Glasnow will be hopefully able to find enough control to carve out a career as a pen pitcher, at this point.  He has zero chance, repeat zero chance of succeeding in the rotation right now.   

He's essentially a similar prospect now to Edgar Santana. He's certainly not Michael Feliz, who has a wipeoit slider and much better control. Maybe somewhere between those two pen pitchers.

Eventually people will admit the abundantly obvious and stop all this talk about "stuff" ( 2 pitches, no control).  It does seem unlikely to happen anytime soon though.  I've never seen a pitcher perform as poorly and be aplogized for as much as Tyler Glasnow. But whatever. I disagree strongly. He's a waste of time as a starter
rucker59@gmail.com

4/19 Bucs@Phillies

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

You might be right. But I think he looks much more competent this year, meaning he's maturing to some degree. Whatever else can be said, when's he's "on" he's a totally different presence on the mound than every young starter not named Tallion. He's either going to be a bullpen arm or a high end starter. What he's not going to be is a fungible 4-5-6 guy that the Pirates try to get by with every year. For that reason, for the potential upside, the Pirates have got to keep giving him opportunities. There's really no downside that I can see (get beat more often than not by the next 4-5-6 guy the Pirates go with or get smashed with Glasnow).

Except one day, I really think, Glasnow is going to pitch 6 dominant innings and we'll get a glimpse of what is at least possible. Glasnow could potentially turn this team into a contender. for a team like the Pirates, they've got no choice but to give him more time.
dmetz

4/19 Bucs@Phillies

Post by dmetz »

When he's on?   When is he on?   He's been scored on in every single outing. 

You guys act like he's having repeat good performances and then having one bad game that's blowing up his numbers.   (Aka Feliz)

He is not even close. Now, I agree keep him pitching in the pen. He's worth that roster spot. This dude is done as a starter. No chance
rucker59@gmail.com

4/19 Bucs@Phillies

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

707971606E140 wrote: When he's on?   When is he on?   He's been scored on in every single outing. 

You guys act like he's having repeat good performances and then having one bad game that's blowing up his numbers.   (Aka Feliz)

He is not even close.   Now, I agree keep him pitching in the pen.   He's worth that roster spot.    This dude is done as a starter.   No chance

Yeah, that's why I said "one day I think he's going to pitch 6 dominate innings...." He hasn't yet. But are you saying you've not seen any innings or sequences that make you think "wow! What if....?"

Or maybe the better question is - do you see any meaningful improvement from last year? Last year he was as lost as anybody I can remember. This year, I can see glimpses. Enough to hope on as a Pirate fan.
dmetz

4/19 Bucs@Phillies

Post by dmetz »

I see better fastball command but nowhere near good enough.  He's missing by humanily possible amounts this year vs Ricky Vaughn levels last year.

No.  I don't see anywhere near the level of improvement needed to believe he can actually survive as a starter.   ML hitters don't either apparently.  You know how many GOOD 2-pitch relievers there are, who even they fail or had failed at starting? Nicasio is a recent example. Glasnow isn't anywhere near the pitcher nicasio was yet.

All he has to do is succeed in garbage time, mop up.   How can the bar be set any lower for a "future elite starter"?   How about he clears that bar and then we will see?

Show me a 4.50 ERA and a 1.40 WHIP throwing garbage time.   How's that for a layup?  That's waiver wire quality relief pitching.  Clear that bar

Bobster21

4/19 Bucs@Phillies

Post by Bobster21 »

Pirates mgt is giving Glasnow every possible opportunity to succeed because for several years, they've invested in him as their stud pitcher of the future. It's still early but we're still not seeing any substantial signs of improvement. His best outing was his first game when he went 2 scoreless innings but gave up a hit and 2 walks. He's been scored on in 4 of 6 games, walked 9 in 12.1 innings and has a 5.84 ERA. We always look for signs of encouragement but it's reduced to having one decent inning in a multi-inning stint and saying, "Well is wasn't that bad." He's still being used like a Rule 5 guy and he's giving them no reason to increase his role. I'm sure we'd all like to see him become dominant. But he's not showing signs of that.
skinnyhorse

4/19 Bucs@Phillies

Post by skinnyhorse »

Golden arm not so golden management of him, could be another screw up by our FO and coaching. He'll be another GC for some other team if we don't ruin his arm first.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

4/19 Bucs@Phillies

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

3B232126263120273A3B2D480 wrote: Golden arm not so golden management of him, could be another screw up by our FO and coaching.  He'll be another GC for some other team if we don't ruin his arm first.

What should they have done differently?