8-10 game

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

8-10 game

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Cole also faced the minimum six of the eight innings pitched.

Now first and second. Nicasio got replaced. Ugh.

Here comes Rivero. Need a double play ball.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

8-10 game

7-5 Pirates. Raise It. Three games back, gained a half game.

Three Stars is tough. Does Bell lose a star based on his mental error in the 9th inning? Rodriguez and Frazier drove in the other runs. Cole seemed very good today.
SteadyFreddy

8-10 game

Post by SteadyFreddy »

One thing you can't deny about Cole is the guy pitches his ass off everytime gets the ball every 5th day. Big win today heading up to Canada this weekend for a huge 3 game series. Lead cut down to 3 full games on the Cubs who have a tough series in Arizona this weekend.
CarolinaBucco

8-10 game

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Okay I take back what I said about Cole ... at least for today. He still frustrates me to no end, but today he was very good and he took care of business.

Impressive win today.

Frazier on fire. Marte heating up. S-Rod really helping.

Pirates have won 6 of 8.

Flubs have lost 6 of 8.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

8-10 game

5371627F7C797E71526573737F100 wrote: Okay I take back what I said about Cole ... at least for today. He still frustrates me to no end, but today he was very good and he took care of business.

Impressive win today.

Pirates have won 6 of 8.

Flubs have lost 6 of 8.

Expectations are higher for Cole. I am not sure if that is totally fair, but I understand why. We have seen him do it before. If Chad Kuhl pitched like this today, we would all be "wow, what an outing" compared to Cole's "thanks for not messing this up".

Great win today. I hate splitting these four game series. It's great taking three of four. Let's hope Toronto has packed it in too. Too bad we can't face Liriano, the drama would be high. Everyone loves drama.
Jerseykc

8-10 game

Post by Jerseykc »

(Don't forget that many draft picks don't dominate.  Tony Sanchez was the first catcher and fourth overall pick one year.  He isn't even mentioned as a "has-been".  He is a "never-was".  Bad picks happen.)

Tony Sanchez, still swinging for the Salt Lake Bees
rucker59@gmail.com

8-10 game

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Thank goodness Cole found his stuff after those three runs. Then a very dominating game. Still, he needs to clean up the early innings.

But the new worry is Nova. He's really struggling and with his history you gotta worry about who he really is. Tallion I fully expect to fully bounce back.

3 games out. The first team to get hot will have the upper hand. With the pitching the Pirates is currently getting, with the two recent additions, with Cutch playing MVP ball, the Pirates have a shot at this. Nova can't fall apart because the rookies are going to need some rest.

Good game today, good series. Gotta win every series. .667 ball wins the division.
dmetz

8-10 game

Post by dmetz »

Sean Rodriguez is bordering on being an elite utility player. I don't know if it's possible to be labeled "Elite" as a utility man, but the guy is as good an insurance policy as you could have in baseball.

Hard to believe that he's able to play so many positions very well, and some guys can't even play first base.

It was a very good trade to get that guy back. Yeah, I don't want him starting at 3b next year everyday but he's a very valuable player to have
Bobster21

8-10 game

Post by Bobster21 »

3338303C3938236660172E363F3838793438570 wrote: Okay I take back what I said about Cole ... at least for today. He still frustrates me to no end, but today he was very good and he took care of business.

Impressive win today.

Pirates have won 6 of 8.

Flubs have lost 6 of 8.

Expectations are higher for Cole.  I am not sure if that is totally fair, but I understand why.  We have seen him do it before.  If Chad Kuhl pitched like this today, we would all be "wow, what an outing" compared to Cole's "thanks for not messing this up". 

Great win today.  I hate splitting these four game series.  It's great taking three of four.  Let's hope Toronto has packed it in too.  Too bad we can't face Liriano, the drama would be high.  Everyone loves drama.

Not sure why you don't understand. Every team tries to fill its specific needs. Bell is the answer to a long search for a power hitting 1Bman who is adequate defensively. Mercer was the answer after a long search for a decent SS. After many years with weak catching, Russell Martin fulfilled that need and when he left, Cervelli was an adequate replacement. And every team wants a dominant starting pitcher. With the 1st overall pick in the draft, the Pirates thought they had addressed that need with Cole. They hope Kuhl can be an adequate member of the rotation. But Cole was drafted to be THE guy. So, obviously, there are different expectations for him. If Cole fails to be the elite pitcher they thought they had filled that need with, it is not as impactful as if Kuhl or Williams fails to be a decent #4 or #5. When putting a team together, you don't look at every player as an equal. Players are assembled to fulfill specific needs. Cole was drafted, developed and groomed to be more than is expected of Kuhl or Williams.

To Cole's credit, after another poor start, he settled down and had a good game. But I wonder why he has so many poor starts.
fjk090852-7

8-10 game

Post by fjk090852-7 »

545D55444A300 wrote: Sean Rodriguez is bordering on being an elite utility player.   I don't know if it's possible to be labeled "Elite" as a utility man, but the guy is as good an insurance policy as you could have in baseball.

Hard to believe that he's able to play so many positions very well, and some guys can't even play first base.

It was a very good trade to get that guy back.  Yeah, I don't want him starting at 3b next year everyday but he's a very valuable player to have
I totally agree with you about SRod. I think he has brought a spark back to this team. He is a player I would pencil into the lineup in the majority of the remaining games. I like his bat in the lineup,and his defense wherever he plays is exceptional.