One sure way for Neal to prove he’s competing:

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

PMike

Post by PMike »

According to Baseball Reference:

Yelich WAR for the last two years: 9.2

Cole and Cutch for the last two years: 5.2 (3.4 & 1.8 respectively)

We'd get a huge jump in projected WAR, 6 various prospects. And lose two top prospects. That would be a really good net in the end.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

343F373B3E3F246167102931383F3F7E333F500 wrote: Most of the people here think he is a liar.  Why do people believe Huntington now?  He is not going to say the word "rebuild" but he did hint to it in his press conference in saying "three years".

This is totally "GM Speak".  Actions speak louder.  I would be surprised if Harrison is not traded.  I hope for an outfielder.

Jack Z was on the fan this morning. He said (almost certain; i was distracted for part of the interview) that the Pirates are not realisticly ready to compete this year but not in rebuild mold either. I think he called it “a retool”. Well, this is exactly what people here have been claiming and also stating the is the worse possible stragrity.

Jack continued: he could see the potential to justify “going for it” but said we’d need to bring a few players in. THEN he said: the FO needs to be up front with the fans and tell them what they’re doing and what to expect it if works or doesn’t.

Jack never used the term or advocated for “GM speak”. In fact, it looks to me that using GM speak at this time runs a HUGE risk of blowing up. For Neal to say he expects the team to be competing right from the 1st pitch - if this team lays an egg he better be prepared for more fallout.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Ok, so we believe Huntington?  We believe his words this time?  Not the fact that he traded away the team's best player the past decade and the team's best pitcher?

Seems weird to me, but ok. We haven't believed much worse in the past, but we believe him this time? Seems weird.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

303B333F3A3B206563142D353C3B3B7A373B540 wrote: Ok, so we believe Huntington?  We believe his words this time?  Not the fact that he traded away the team's best player the past decade and the team's best pitcher?

Seems weird to me, but ok.  We haven't believed much worse in the past, but we believe him this time?  Seems weird.

sorry to say but I have no idea what point you are making. Can you explain?
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

7A71797570716A2F295E677F767171307D711E0 wrote: Ok, so we believe Huntington?  We believe his words this time?  Not the fact that he traded away the team's best player the past decade and the team's best pitcher?

Seems weird to me, but ok.  We haven't believed much worse in the past, but we believe him this time?  Seems weird.

Duh! So you seem to be saying that you believe NH and his GM Speak, am I correct? Can you explain why you do so again, please.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

People get on me because I would say that isn't what Huntington said or tried to explain what he meant. I have said that he says GM Speak like every other GM in the league.

Many here don't believe a word he says and calls him a liar. Is that no longer the case?

Now, he said he expects to compete in 2018 and people believe him? I am not understanding why people believe him now. They don't believe him when he says he offered a ton in a trade, the Liriano deal, trying after free agents, trying to extend players, money issues, not salary dumps, etc.

You can call it rebuilding or retooling. I was all aboard in adding players, but that wasn't the route taken. If Cole was traded, they all would be traded. Huntington carefully chose his words in his press conference.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

6269616D6869723731467F676E6969286569060 wrote: People get on me because I would say that isn't what Huntington said or tried to explain what he meant.  I have said that he says GM Speak like every other GM in the league.

Many here don't believe a word he says and calls him a liar.  Is that no longer the case?

Now, he said he expects to compete in 2018 and people believe him?  I am not understanding why people believe him now.  They don't believe him when he says he offered a ton in a trade, the Liriano deal, trying after free agents, trying to extend players, money issues, not salary dumps, etc.

You can call it rebuilding or retooling.  I was all aboard in adding players, but that wasn't the route taken.  If Cole was traded, they all would be traded.  Huntington carefully chose his words in his press conference. 

Still lost to your point: are you saying you believe Neal is trying to compete this year or does "GM talk" mean, to you, that he's blowing the team up?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

5255434B4552151960474D41494C0E434F4D200 wrote: People get on me because I would say that isn't what Huntington said or tried to explain what he meant.  I have said that he says GM Speak like every other GM in the league.

Many here don't believe a word he says and calls him a liar.  Is that no longer the case?

Now, he said he expects to compete in 2018 and people believe him?  I am not understanding why people believe him now.  They don't believe him when he says he offered a ton in a trade, the Liriano deal, trying after free agents, trying to extend players, money issues, not salary dumps, etc.

You can call it rebuilding or retooling.  I was all aboard in adding players, but that wasn't the route taken.  If Cole was traded, they all would be traded.  Huntington carefully chose his words in his press conference. 

Still lost to your point: are you saying you believe Neal is trying to compete this year or does "GM talk" mean, to you, that he's blowing the team up?

Rebuild. Actions speak louder. He traded Cole and McCutchen. I expect Harrison to be traded too.
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

I agree on sending Meadows and Glasnow to Marlins for Yelich! But you know, somehow I feel "No Deal" would shiver and say, he couldn't give up such high level prospects as they team is depending on their drafted players to make up the core and carry the team to the playoffs. DeJean K made an observation in an article that I think is spot on, Huntington lacks the confidence to do such a deal. He is timid and fearful of making a mistake. I would love to see Yelich come our way...The OF would be something again...

Beatt'em Bucs :D
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

First, Yelich would be a great addition, but he alone likely would not be enough to turn the Bucs into being a definite wild card contender. However, trading for him would clearly demonstrate that the Pirates are not punting the season (or the next several seasons) and that they are open to trying to compete.

Secondly, I don't think the suggested trade packages are enough to land Yelich. The Marlins are likely getting nearer to their salary targets and may be looking more closely at the talent return than the salary reduction that they did in trading Gordon, Stanton and Osuna. They are rumored to be asking for Acuna.

Continuing, the Bucs clearly have the salary space to take on Yelich's contract after moving both McCutchen and Cole.

Yelich is a superior cost controlled talent who may still improve. That said, I would really like to try and hold onto Keller, Baez and Meadows (who I view as the replacement for Polanco). Perhaps a package like Glasnow, one of Tucker/Hayes/Newman, Brian Reynolds (who the Bucs just got from the Giants), Jose Osuna (who likely lacks a position with Bell on board) and a pitcher with some limited value; someone like Neverauskus/Santana/Holmes et al. The above package would feature 2 players in the current Pirates top ten (Reynolds is one of those players), a pitcher who has recently been in both the Pirates top ten and MLB's top 25, someone who could provide some power in Osuna and who is coming off a good winter league season, and a decent filler. While I recognize that some of the above is a quantity for quality trade, and that it still doesn't feature the type of premier talent that the Marlins are rumored to be looking for, but at least 3 and likely 4 of the above players would contribute at the major league level.

And, if the Bucs really want Yelich, let's offer to take on Castro's contract in addition to Yelich. If that occurred the Bucs' salary obligations in 2018 would be little more than if the team had kept both Cole and Cutch. The Bucs could then either hold onto Castro to play second and trade Harrison, or they could trade Castro for a low level higher ceiling prospect while agreeing to eat some salary. Geez, maybe the Yankees would even want him back under those circumstances,

The Bucs could also make up the salary by dealing Freese for a low level (risky) prospect, or dealing Hudson for the same and eating a mil or so of his salary. I don't think that Rodriguez's salary is movable at this point.

So --- what could a Buc line-up look like with Yelich and either Castro of J-Hay.

J-Hay - 2nd

Marte - CF

Yelich - LF

Bell - 1st

Polanco - RF

Moran - 3rd

Diaz/Cervelli - C

Mercer - SS

Oh well, Yelich will not be a Pirate. Time to drift back to reality.