Cards@Bucs 4/27 Game Thread...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dmetz

Post by dmetz »

Glasnows best outing of the year.   He was throwing his big curve and either some kind of slurve or a slow slider.   

Yeah boy.  You want to start mixing? Now we're talking "stuff".  Very well done.   Still wild but mixed enough and was close enough that it mattered not.

I missed the extras unfortunately.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

2324323A3423646811363C30383D7F323E3C510 wrote: Best part about this win ... THE MUCH MALIGNED BULLPEN.

* 6.1 IP

* 2 hits

* 0 runs

* 8 Ks

Wow. And from what I can tell, Glasnow must have looked pretty good.

I know the bullpen can't realistically be that good, but if they could just be respectable. Maybe tonight was a start.
Glasnow was a big part of that win. After St.L. scored 5 runs in 5 innings, Glasnow shut the door. 3 very solid innings on 33 pitches. Never really in trouble and struck out the side in the 8th. It was nice to see him play a big part in a win.

I’ve said it several times this season and it’s worth saying again: Glasnow has improved significantly this year and he can still be a “game changer” for this organization.  Not giving up on this guy. Yea I’m with you VA. If he can just continue to keep doing what he did last night when he comes in then eventually hopefully when the team is still in contention and over .500 you can insert him into the rotation for someone like Brault and have a solid 4 guys. That can be a huge huge difference maker moving forward the rest of this season.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

The Cardinals had some bad strategy at the end of the game. I was shocked they didn't walk the bases loaded after Mercer's triple. They did get out of it.

I liked the move of Kuhl pinch running, but he was so slow and looked awkward. He was barely getting a lead. If the Cardinals didn't roll the ball in, he was dead at home. I would work on that with him and maybe the other pitchers.

I was at the game and loved when they brought in Holland. He doesn't look ready at all after missing spring training. The Pirates were making good contact all night. I was surprised they didn't score any runs earlier.

Great win. Too bad a bunch of people left early.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

10372622273A05312627273A430 wrote: Best part about this win ... THE MUCH MALIGNED BULLPEN.

* 6.1 IP

* 2 hits

* 0 runs

* 8 Ks

Wow. And from what I can tell, Glasnow must have looked pretty good.

I know the bullpen can't realistically be that good, but if they could just be respectable. Maybe tonight was a start.
Glasnow was a big part of that win. After St.L. scored 5 runs in 5 innings, Glasnow shut the door. 3 very solid innings on 33 pitches. Never really in trouble and struck out the side in the 8th. It was nice to see him play a big part in a win.

I’ve said it several times this season and it’s worth saying again: Glasnow has improved significantly this year and he can still be a “game changer” for this organization.  Not giving up on this guy. Yea I’m with you VA. If he can just continue to keep doing what he did last night when he comes in then eventually hopefully when the team is still in contention and over .500 you can insert him into the rotation for someone like Brault and have a solid 4 guys. That can be a huge huge difference maker moving forward the rest of this season.

Yeah. Maybe it won't work out, but there is a big difference, potentially, between Glasnow and the rest of The Fungibles. Should Glasnow finally "get it" (believing 100% that Tallion's problems are a momentary blip) then with Tallion and perhaps Williams, Nova, this could be a GOOD rotation.

The offense is schizophrenic, but with the bats suddenly being "on" again it doesn't look like the first couple weeks were a fluke.

We need a couple pitchers that can shut down the other team. I'm hopeful, before the season is out, Glasnow is going to have a dominate 6 innings that makes everyone say "WOW".
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

Ok.  Well, its almost impossible that Glasnow will be a TOR starter.   It's possible he could make himself into a real nice bullpen piece though.   I am very glad we stopped wasting time with him in the rotation and moved him into a role where he can work on getting ML hitters out.   Good job by him last night in another low leverage situation, become a decent pitcher in low-leverage mop up and just keep building on it.

Put a couple of good outings together and earn a look in higher leverage situations.   Succeed there and maybe the sights can be set on a back of the bullpen arm.
rucker59@gmail.com

646D65747A000 wrote: Ok.  Well, its almost impossible that Glasnow will be a TOR starter.   It's possible he could make himself into a real nice bullpen piece though.   I am very glad we stopped wasting time with him in the rotation and moved him into a role where he can work on getting ML hitters out.   Good job by him last night in another low leverage situation, become a decent pitcher in low-leverage mop up and just keep building on it.

Put a couple of good outings together and earn a look in higher leverage situations.   Succeed there and maybe the sights can be set on a back of the bullpen arm.

You may be right. But let’s hope you’re not.

Clearly some progress being made.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

6463757D7364232F56717B777F7A3875797B160 wrote: I just watched a replay of the end of the game and something stood out to me: when Marte got the hit, it seemed very “personal” the way the team celebrated FOR and with Marte.  It seemed like it was a lot more personal than normal, kind of like “yeah the win is great but we’re REALLY happy for Starling.”  Two gatoraid buckets. 

I’ve long considered Marte a disappointment and a distraction in the club house. But watching his teammates respond to him, maybe there’s more “to the story”.  Made me glad for him.

Great night all around.

I am not sure what this means. Why would you think the team doesn't like Marte? Why is he a distraction? You never hear reports about him causing trouble. It's probably his language barrier, but he is rarely interviewed.

He has his flaws for sure as a player, but not sure how an outsider/fan can think things are personal. He just doesn't show that emotion.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

I wanted to ask a question of the board regarding strategy in this game.

Vazquez pitched the tenth inning and needed only ten pitches to get through, I believe. With him up in the bottom half, two outs, and a man on first (Cervelli), Hurdle pinch hit Diaz for Vazquez. Question...was that the right strategic move? I would have at least considered leaving Vazquez in and having him pitch the 11th as well. Cervelli is not a fast runner, so it potentially would have taken two base hits to score him, even if Diaz hit a double. Would an extra three out from Vazquez been worth essentially giving away the inning with the winning run on first base?

Ultimately, I think CH made the right move. But the drop off from Vazquez to everyone else in our BP, including Kontos, is so steep, I’d at least have considered letting him hit and come back for another inning. Maybe if this game is in September instead of April, you see that move?

I’m just curious what others' thoughts are.
rucker59@gmail.com

69626A666362793C3A4D746C656262236E620D0 wrote: I just watched a replay of the end of the game and something stood out to me: when Marte got the hit, it seemed very “personal” the way the team celebrated FOR and with Marte.  It seemed like it was a lot more personal than normal, kind of like “yeah the win is great but we’re REALLY happy for Starling.”  Two gatoraid buckets. 

I’ve long considered Marte a disappointment and a distraction in the club house. But watching his teammates respond to him, maybe there’s more “to the story”.  Made me glad for him.

Great night all around.

I am not sure what this means. Why would you think the team doesn't like Marte? Why is he a distraction? You never hear reports about him causing trouble. It's probably his language barrier, but he is rarely interviewed.

He has his flaws for sure as a player, but not sure how an outsider/fan can think things are personal. He just doesn't show that emotion.

Come on Dog, your post is déjà vu all over again. Reread my post and then reread yours. No where did I even hint that maybe Marte is not liked by his teammates. To the contrary: my post was about how happy and personal the Celebration seemed. My comments are all about his teammates elevating the celebration FOR Marte.

It just seemed like a very personal celebration compared to the average walkoff. Maybe I’m totally wrong.

Re my feelings toward Marte, I’ve never hidden my frustration at his apparent lackadaisical approach to the game and I’ve questioned whether he was a negative influence on Polanco. Watching the team respond to him made me wonder if maybe his teammates see a side to Marte that we don’t get to see.

As I said, I was very happy for him. I have no idea how you read anything other than this in my post.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

7374626A6473343841666C60686D2F626E6C010 wrote: I just watched a replay of the end of the game and something stood out to me: when Marte got the hit, it seemed very “personal” the way the team celebrated FOR and with Marte.  It seemed like it was a lot more personal than normal, kind of like “yeah the win is great but we’re REALLY happy for Starling.”  Two gatoraid buckets. 

Great night all around.

Come on Dog, your post is déjà vu all over again.  Reread my post and then reread yours. No where did I even hint that maybe Marte is not liked by his teammates.  To the contrary: my post was about how happy and personal the Celebration seemed. My  comments are all about his teammates elevating the celebration FOR Marte.

It just seemed like a very personal  celebration compared to the average walkoff.  Maybe I’m totally wrong.

Re my feelings toward Marte, I’ve never hidden my frustration at his apparent lackadaisical approach to the game and I’ve questioned whether he was a negative influence on Polanco. Watching the team respond to him made me wonder if maybe his teammates see a side to Marte that we don’t get to see. 

As I said, I was very happy for him.  I have no idea how you read anything other than this in my post.

I didn't see anything different in the celebration and don't know why someone would think he is a distraction in the clubhouse.