Official Game Thread - 5/24 - Bucs vs. Rangers

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Pirates are now 5-16 since their 20-8 start and have lost 16 of their last 21 games. Won’t get any easier heading out West to both Seattle and San Fran. Another disappointing homestand should have won at least 1 or 2 more games. I agree unless this offense can start hitting again real soon this team is gonna be under .500 sooner rather then later. This offense flat out stinks.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

60475652574A75415657574A330 wrote: Pirates are now 5-16 since their 20-8 start and have lost 16 of their last 21 games. Won’t get any easier heading out West to both Seattle and San Fran. Another disappointing homestand should have won at least 1 or 2 more games. I agree unless this offense can start hitting again real soon this team is gonna be under .500 sooner rather then later. This offense flat out stinks.

Nearly two months into the season, weaknesses show themselves. The Bucs primary weakness: daily line-ups filled with utility players. It’s getting to the time to start bringing more of the future to Pittsburgh. If they’re ready, Endy, Henry Davis, and Nick Gonzales need to be here before July 1.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

772137232C36262D2037052228242C296B26450 wrote: Pirates are now 5-16 since their 20-8 start and have lost 16 of their last 21 games. Won’t get any easier heading out West to both Seattle and San Fran. Another disappointing homestand should have won at least 1 or 2 more games. I agree unless this offense can start hitting again real soon this team is gonna be under .500 sooner rather then later. This offense flat out stinks.

Nearly two months into the season, weaknesses show themselves.  The Bucs primary weakness:  daily line-ups filled with utility players.  It’s getting to the time to start bringing more of the future to Pittsburgh.  If they’re ready, Endy, Henry Davis, and Nick Gonzales need to be here before July 1.

We also have a Suwinski problem. He's not hitting, and his defense is lacking all of a sudden too.

2 guys couldn't be plated from third with less than two outs. Delay left standing on second with no outs, can't even move him up. Why Shelton keeps bunting in the middle of the game is beyond me.

Rabelo is a freaking windmill, yet runs way down the line to hold Castro on Delay's bases loaded hit. Castro read it perfectly and wasn't that far behind Joe. THAT was a time to risk sending someone.

Doc is correct. The lineup is primarily platoon/utility guys. Santana is getting used way too much. Suwinski is just too streaky to keep playing him every day. IDK what the answer is there though. Bae isn't the answer. I heard people grumbling to bring up Mitchell, "he's killing it in AAA". And so was Palacios.

Owings is a waste of space.

I also honestly believe, the younger guys are looking too much to Cutch, Reynolds, and Santana to "be the man", instead of trying to be one themselves.

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

095F495D524858535E497B5C565A525715583B0 wrote: Pirates are now 5-16 since their 20-8 start and have lost 16 of their last 21 games. Won’t get any easier heading out West to both Seattle and San Fran. Another disappointing homestand should have won at least 1 or 2 more games. I agree unless this offense can start hitting again real soon this team is gonna be under .500 sooner rather then later. This offense flat out stinks.

Nearly two months into the season, weaknesses show themselves.  The Bucs primary weakness:  daily line-ups filled with utility players.  It’s getting to the time to start bringing more of the future to Pittsburgh.  If they’re ready, Endy, Henry Davis, and Nick Gonzales need to be here before July 1.

All 3 need brought up now not on July 1st. You gotta get some kind of spark and life into this offense. Maybe the young guys and some new blood will do it. Guys on the roster now such as Santana, Hayes and Suwinski just to name a few aren’t hitting at all. This season now is in danger I believe of slipping away the next 2 weeks or so if this offense continues to hit the way they are now. Things have to improve and change soon or this team is gonna find themselves 5-10 games under .500 come mid June.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

31160703061B24100706061B620 wrote: Pirates are now 5-16 since their 20-8 start and have lost 16 of their last 21 games. Won’t get any easier heading out West to both Seattle and San Fran. Another disappointing homestand should have won at least 1 or 2 more games. I agree unless this offense can start hitting again real soon this team is gonna be under .500 sooner rather then later. This offense flat out stinks.

All 3 need brought up now not on July 1st. You gotta get some kind of spark and life into this offense. Maybe the young guys and some new blood will do it. Guys on the roster now such as Santana, Hayes and Suwinski just to name a few aren’t hitting at all. This season now is in danger I believe of slipping away the next 2 weeks or so if this offense continues to hit the way they are now. Things have to improve and change soon or this team is gonna find themselves 5-10 games under .500 come mid June.

current stats at Indy:

Gonzo:  266 ba, 3 homers, 128 at bats, 47 strikeouts, 266/347/438

Endy: 248 ba, 4 homers, 113 at bats, just 16 strikeouts, 248/351/434

Mitchell, Swaggerty, Smith-Njigba showing next to nothing

Davis at Altoona; 296 ba, 10 homers, 115 at bats, 27 strikeouts but 16 walks,  296/445/617

no help in Altoona line up either, Mason Martin and Lolo Sanchez both hitting under 200.

Liover Peguero is at 266 with 4 homers but has made 10 errors.

If Davis keeps this up he is going to skip Indy.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Owings needs to go. No reason for him to take ABs away from anyone. Bae sat vs a LHP. But he's got a reverse split. He's hitting .324 against them. Only .239 vs RHP. Marcano's been playing well. So he sat too. He's only 1 for 11 vs LHPs. That's a very small sample size. Is Owings a better hitting threat? Makes no sense to conclude at this early stage in their careers that Bae and Marcano won't hit but Owings will.

Why is Palacios here? He pounded the ball in AAA so that he could sit on the Pirates' bench. Suwinski is a career .137 hitter vs LHP. But only .236 vs RHP. He hit only .214 in AAA. Batting him 3rd was a joke. He draws walks to boost his OBP but do they really want a #3 batter whose main contribution is when he doesn't swing the bat? Too many predictable dead spots in the lineup.

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

587F6E6A6F724D796E6F6F720B0 wrote: Pirates are now 5-16 since their 20-8 start and have lost 16 of their last 21 games. Won’t get any easier heading out West to both Seattle and San Fran. Another disappointing homestand should have won at least 1 or 2 more games. I agree unless this offense can start hitting again real soon this team is gonna be under .500 sooner rather then later. This offense flat out stinks.

I know that because the Pirates are so close to first place, and haven’t been in this position in a few years, that we want them to go all in to try to win.  But realistically, with the players they have, there’s little chance, even if the division is wanting.  BC has little in the way of trade pieces on the major league team who would bring back a big league-ready guy who would make a difference.  And I absolutely do not want him trading any of the top minor league talent he’s accumulated.

While I want the three minor league guys mentioned above to be here, I want them here when they’re ready and won’t be overwhelmed.  If that means 100 more at bats in Indy or Altoona, then I’m okay with that because I believe that being ready to compete in 2024 is more important than chasing after something unattainable in 2023.

If by July 1, if the team is still in contention, then those three players will be better prepared to help.  At that point, I say go for it and try to win this year.  There would be nothing to lose and lots of experience for them to gain.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

Realistically, Gonzalez, Davis, and Rodriguez will likely struggle when they are brought up to Pittsburgh. Look at Palacios. He was tearing the cover off the ball in AAA. There's a reason those pitchers aren't in the Show. But you know what? If Davis and Rodriguez come up here and stink, that's better than Hedges and Delay BEING up here and stinking. Those three have to get their MLB lumps in at some point. Do it now and maybe they adjust for a second half run. Wait until July, and they're likely still making that adjustment in August.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

One positive for me though is Oviedo. I REALLY like him. I hadn't seen him before this year. I see a lot of Charlie Morton in him. I think he has the quality of stuff to be an elite MLB pitcher. He struggled in the first inning, but put his foot down after that. I think we see a Keller like breakout from him next year at the latest if it doesn't happen this year.

A rotation of Keller-Oviedo-Contreras with some combination of Ortiz/Priester/Brubaker/Burrows filling out the back end, plus likely a left-handed FA signing ala Hill this year could be quite good.

I realize every team has injuries, but Cruz in this lineup fills a lot of holes. Choi gets Santana some rest every so often. Maybe Shelton isn't wrong in realizing guys can't play every single day. It seems to me Santana started to decline around the time Choi was put on the IL.

But this rotation with Cruz and Crews in the lineup is likely three or four wins better than they are now.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

BTW, Rodriguez is 1-2 with a homer tonight. Indy game is on MLB.TV if you subscribe. Andujar also with a homer. Lots of people were clamoring for him to come up in place of Maggi. He, too, was raking in AAA. Not so much in MLB. AAA success clearly doesn't necessarily translate to MLB. But, I'd still rather see Davis/Rodriguez getting ABs than Hedges/Delay.