Pirate Charities

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Pirate Charities

Post by DemDog »

0E25323D440 wrote: what's wrong with you...how dare you break the rules and say something nice...wow...even charity gets a bad name if it can be turned to how the Nutting is ruining all of Pittsburgh maybe the whole world...so many words and energy wasted...think i need a nap after all this typing

I am one of many who has no faith in Nutting and have no belief in him as the owner/leader of our beloved Pirates. That said, I don't care how much of a scoundrel he is - Pirates Charities has done exceptional work in the community since it's inception in 2006.I don't know if he, Ogden, or McClatchey was the driving force behind it, or, someone else is, that should never detract from good works and good will towards others.

In the particular case I wrote about, the Pirates players did this on their own.

As the Father of 2 daughters in the health care industry, actively working in hospitals in New Jersey and currently Florida, with one already having been tested for exposure to a doctor she worked with who has the virus. ANYONE who took the time to do something nice for people like my girls, deserves that huge thumbs up.

Our Fla daughter will be heading home next week, to her next assignment, which will be in an ER about 30 miles from our home. She is not even going to stop to see us, out of concern for us. This is something the parents of these folks deal with.

If anyone is so inclined, doing something for health care workers is a great way to help. Doesn't have to be much. My wife spent last weekend making masks for the workers at our other daughters hospital. This one lives 3 miles away, and also will not come to our house.

As much as we all bellyache and complain about Bob and the Pirates, and the start of the season being delayed, and our lives disrupted (yes, including me), there are other, real hardships occurring right in front of us. Let's all ride this out together and keep the front-liners in mind.

Sorry if this offends anyone! Stay safe and healthy!

Kudos to you Javy! This is one of the best posts I have ever seen on OBN and I have been here since the beginning.

Throughout the years of OBN we have mostly moaned and groaned about state of the Pirates. We continue to do so to this day as you say.

But his very personal post brings out the true humanity in this world. I have seen close up people hoarding normal everyday grocery items at the stores. Seen people who would love to work being forced to stay home and not go out.

You post shows one part of the frontline workers in the fight to contain COVID-19, the staffs of all doctors, and hospitals. The first responders to traffic accidents and other such things. Unfortunately, I can sew but only crochet so I can't make masks. What is needed is full force of citizens as well as lawmakers getting real control of providing protective safeguards to the medical workers on the frontline of defense. Kudos as well to your daughters who could be kept away not just from you but their kids for a while.

I share your concern for your kids as well because my daughter and her family live in Seattle and are the best Pirates fans in that city. Fortunately, they can stay home and work but it is a real downer for her as she tries to teach her kids at home.

My prayers go out to your daughters and their possible sacrifice of not seeing you or their families until this disease is contained.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Pirate Charities

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

53786F60190 wrote: what's wrong with you...how dare you break the rules and say something nice...wow...even charity gets a bad name if it can be turned to how the Nutting is ruining all of Pittsburgh maybe the whole world...so many words and energy wasted...think i need a nap after all this typing

I am one of many who has no faith in Nutting and have no belief in him as the owner/leader of our beloved Pirates. That said, I don't care how much of a scoundrel he is - Pirates Charities has done exceptional work in the community since it's inception in 2006.I don't know if he, Ogden, or McClatchey was the driving force behind it, or, someone else is, that should never detract from good works and good will towards others.

In the particular case I wrote about, the Pirates players did this on their own.

As the Father of 2 daughters in the health care industry, actively working in hospitals in New Jersey and currently Florida, with one already having been tested for exposure to a doctor she worked with who has the virus. ANYONE who took the time to do something nice for people like my girls, deserves that huge thumbs up.

Our Fla daughter will be heading home next week, to her next assignment, which will be in an ER about 30 miles from our home. She is not even going to stop to see us, out of concern for us. This is something the parents of these folks deal with.

If anyone is so inclined, doing something for health care workers is a great way to help. Doesn't have to be much. My wife spent last weekend making masks for the workers at our other daughters hospital. This one lives 3 miles away, and also will not come to our house.

As much as we all bellyache and complain about Bob and the Pirates, and the start of the season being delayed, and our lives disrupted (yes, including me), there are other, real hardships occurring right in front of us. Let's all ride this out together and keep the front-liners in mind.

NOTE: I am not reacting to anything written by others, or being judgmental. I'm just a Dad who has been affected by the absence of his kids as a result of this epidemic.

All the best to your girls, Javy. You and your wife raised great people.
WildwoodDave

Pirate Charities

Post by WildwoodDave »

673127333C26363D3027153238343C397B36550 wrote: what's wrong with you...how dare you break the rules and say something nice...wow...even charity gets a bad name if it can be turned to how the Nutting is ruining all of Pittsburgh maybe the whole world...so many words and energy wasted...think i need a nap after all this typing

NOTE: I am not reacting to anything written by others, or being judgmental. I'm just a Dad who has been affected by the absence of his kids as a result of this epidemic.

All the best to your girls, Javy.  You and your wife raised great people.Javy and Doc- two excellent representatives from

our previous board
2drfischer@gmail.c

Pirate Charities

5A6461697A626269496C7B680D0 wrote: what's wrong with you...how dare you break the rules and say something nice...wow...even charity gets a bad name if it can be turned to how the Nutting is ruining all of Pittsburgh maybe the whole world...so many words and energy wasted...think i need a nap after all this typing

All the best to your girls, Javy.  You and your wife raised great people.Javy and Doc- two excellent representatives from

our previous board

Aren't you a big sweetie! Right back at ya, Dave.
WildwoodDave

Pirate Charities

Post by WildwoodDave »

144254404F55454E435466414B474F4A0845260 wrote: what's wrong with you...how dare you break the rules and say something nice...wow...even charity gets a bad name if it can be turned to how the Nutting is ruining all of Pittsburgh maybe the whole world...so many words and energy wasted...think i need a nap after all this typing

our previous board

Aren't you a big sweetie!  Right back at ya, Dave.
Putting this into perspective. From what I understand, Bob Nutting spearheaded the formation of Pirate Charities. The Money which is raised is donated by fans and purchasing items at the auctions. How much Nutting donates I don't know. Drew Brees just donated 5 million to the city of New Orleans for virus related victims. Kudos to Brees.
Lecom

Pirate Charities

Post by Lecom »

557E69661F0 wrote: what's wrong with you...how dare you break the rules and say something nice...wow...even charity gets a bad name if it can be turned to how the Nutting is ruining all of Pittsburgh maybe the whole world...so many words and energy wasted...think i need a nap after all this typing

Good post Javy!
Javy

Pirate Charities

Post by Javy »

Sad update from the weekend.

Kind of an extended relationship here, but I'll explain it as best as I can.

The group of people I hunt with, in upstate, Shunk Pa., includes the husband of my wife's first cousin (we will call him Joe). This is my link to the group and how I wound up with them.

On Thursday, March 19th, Joe's brother, Tom, called his boss and told him he wasn't feeling well. Boss told him to stay home, and not to report back until he was tested. Tom did as he was instructed, and scheduled a test, which was not administered for several days, along with a hesitancy to test him because he didn't have the 'classic' symptoms. They finally tested him because he has COPD.

On Monday, the 23rd, our property owner visited him, as he and 'Joe" are best friends from childhood, and Tom is also a close friend. On Thursday the 26th, he again stopped by for a few minutes to visit Tom, who was still awaiting test results, but feeling okay.

On Friday, the property owner gathered up his wife, grandson, and Mother-in-Law and went to the mountains for the weekend.

While enroute, he got a call from Tom, except it wasn't Tom. It was the doctor in the ER at the local hospital - seems Tom's test results came back positive, and his doctor told him to go to the local hospital for a chest x-ray, that his test was positive for Covid-19.

Tom did as instructed, and called for an ambulance. While in the ambulance, he went into cardiac arrest. He arrived at the hospital, less than 3 miles from his home, in a coma. The doctor called the last number in his cell phone, in order to notify someone of the situation. Unfortunately, Tom never regained consciousness, and passed Saturday morning - he was 61.

The property owner became the only link to Tom's family, and called Joe right away. Joe lives up the mountains also, about 45 minutes from the property owner. No one is allowed to access Tom's property. His remains will be cremated, and a service scheduled for several months from now.

The property owner is now in quarantine in the mountains, along with his family. What started as a weekend trip, has become temporary shelter in place for at least 2 weeks. Closest grocery store is about 18 miles away. some of us are trying to formulate a plan to get supplies to them. I may drive the 260 or so miles to drop off (outside)what they need, then leave immediately.

Property owner was working a job in Philadelphia, with a crew of 20 or more workers. He immediately contacted his Owner/Supervisor, and that job has now been shut down, and the crew is in quarantine, as well as any office staff he communicated with over the last week. As far as any other folks involved, I do not know.

Moral of the story - Make sure, if you are ill, or feeling any of the symptoms, you let people know, so they do not visit, or come in contact with you. If you're not sure, STAY AWAY. The potential tragedy of this saga may not be in sight yet.
SyrBucco

Pirate Charities

Post by SyrBucco »

755E49463F0 wrote: Sad update from the weekend.

The group of people I hunt with, in upstate, Shunk Pa., includes the husband of my wife's first cousin (we will call him Joe). This is my link to the group and how I wound up with them.

On Thursday, March 19th, Joe's brother, Tom, called his boss and told him he wasn't feeling well. Boss told him to stay home, and not to report back until he was tested. Tom did as he was instructed, and scheduled a test, which was not administered for several days, along with a hesitancy to test him because he didn't have the 'classic' symptoms. They finally tested him because he has COPD.

On Monday, the 23rd, our property owner visited him, as he and 'Joe" are best friends from childhood, and Tom is also a close friend. On Thursday the 26th, he again stopped by for a few minutes to visit Tom, who was still awaiting test results, but feeling okay.

On Friday, the property owner gathered up his wife, grandson, and Mother-in-Law and went to the mountains for the weekend.

While enroute, he got a call from Tom, except it wasn't Tom. It was the doctor in the ER at the local hospital - seems Tom's test results came back positive, and his doctor told him to go to the local hospital for a chest x-ray, that his test was positive for Covid-19.

Tom did as instructed, and called for an ambulance. While in the ambulance, he went into cardiac arrest. He arrived at the hospital, less than 3 miles from his home, in a coma. The doctor called the last number in his cell phone, in order to notify someone of the situation. Unfortunately, Tom never regained consciousness, and passed Saturday morning - he was 61.

The property owner became the only link to Tom's family, and called Joe right away. Joe lives up the mountains also, about 45 minutes from the property owner. No one is allowed to access Tom's property. His remains will be cremated, and a service scheduled for several months from now.

The property owner is now in quarantine in the mountains, along with his family. What started as a weekend trip, has become temporary shelter in place for at least 2 weeks. Closest grocery store is about 18 miles away. some of us are trying to formulate a plan to get supplies to them. I may drive the 260 or so miles to drop off (outside)what they need, then leave immediately.

Property owner was working a job in Philadelphia, with a crew of 20 or more workers. He immediately contacted his Owner/Supervisor, and that job has now been shut down, and the crew is in quarantine, as well as any office staff he communicated with over the last week. As far as any other folks involved, I do not know.

Moral of the story - Make sure, if you are ill, or feeling any of the symptoms, you let people know, so they do not visit, or come in contact with you. If you're not sure, STAY AWAY. The potential tragedy of this saga may not be in sight yet.
Javy, that is truly a sad story. Very sorry for your loss, and for all the people involved.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Pirate Charities

53786F60190 wrote: Sad update from the weekend.

So sorry to hear that story, Javy. The experts have warned us that the spread of this evil is all too easy and can be contracted by anyone. And you're right, the worst is yet to come. We're far from out of the woods with this thing.
Lecom

Pirate Charities

Post by Lecom »

So sorry to hear about this. We decided to cut our trip to Florida by 10 days because we thought it best to be around family. Stay safe , Lecom.