Daniel Nava owww

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Daniel Nava owww

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Polanco is an option, but he was pretty bad in LF last year. I am not sure if he will be moved again. The smaller RF seems perfect for him and his arm. He is such a bad route runner.

Last year, didn't Osuna play LF with Polanco in the line up?
SammyKhalifa

Daniel Nava owww

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I notice that today SROD is playing Center Field (with a home run woooo). Freese at first. For this early in ST, it's actually a pretty representative lineup minus Bell and the two outfielders.
SammyKhalifa

Daniel Nava owww

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Austin Meadows Home run!!!!!

wooooooo
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Daniel Nava owww

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

There is the hopeful back up CF...or starter very soon.

Meadows.
BucsFaninGA

Daniel Nava owww

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Quail....Great additions to the all inclusive list of reliable OF's from the Bucco All Time Roster who could man CF, play some great defense, hit as well as contribute when called up...

And the mention of John "The Jet" Jeter. Still recall his Topps 1971 baseball card. He sure was something with the Columbus Triple AAA team in the late 60, early 1970, but indeed could not make it on the big league level! Yet with Al "Scoops" Oilver and Gene Clines he had competition...

And Vic Davalillo, The late Bob Prince nicknamed him "The Rooster" and he certainly was fun to watch on the 1971, 72 and 73 before he was traded to the A's...Joe L. Brown pulled off a steal in getting him and Nellie Briles from the Redbirds for Matty Alou and George Brunet...I was a big Vic Davalillo fan as a kid as my Mom rooted for the hapless Cleveland Indians...
Bobster21

Daniel Nava owww

Post by Bobster21 »

6156405065424D4A4D6462230 wrote: Quail....Great additions to the all inclusive list of reliable OF's from the Bucco All Time Roster who could man CF, play some great defense, hit as well as contribute when called up...

And the mention of John "The Jet" Jeter. Still recall his Topps 1971 baseball card. He sure was something with the Columbus Triple AAA team in the late 60, early 1970, but indeed could not make it on the big league level! Yet with Al "Scoops" Oilver and Gene Clines he had competition...

And Vic Davalillo, The late Bob Prince nicknamed him "The Rooster" and he certainly was fun to watch on the 1971, 72 and 73 before he was traded to the A's...Joe L. Brown pulled off a steal in getting him and Nellie Briles from the Redbirds for Matty Alou and George Brunet...I was a big Vic Davalillo fan as a kid as my Mom rooted for the hapless Cleveland Indians...

It was a good trade. Although I would stop short of calling it a steal. Matty Alou was a key part of the team from 1966-70. Batting champ in 1966 (.342) and followed by hitting .338 (3rd in MLB, 5th in MLB with 186 hits), .332 (2nd in MLB, 1st in MLB with 210 hits), .331 (4th in NL, 1st in MLB with 231 hits) and .297. Two time all-star. No power but got so many singles he always had a good OBP despite drawing few walks. Led MLB in 2Bs in 1969. Brunet was a throw in. He was a journeyman pitcher obtained 8/31/70 and only appeared a few games for them. But Alou had trade value. Davalillo was 34 and past his prime when obtained. But he became very valuable as a 4th OFer and PHer in 2+ seasons. Alou continued to hit for St.L for 2 years and then the A's and Yankees. He was too valuable to trade even up for Davalillo at that time. Briles was just 27 and with 6 years experience including a 19-win season 3 years earlier. Briles could both start and relieve. But the year before the trade he was injured and went 6-7 with a 6.24 ERA. So the Pirates were trading a star player in Alou (and throwing in Brunet) for a pitcher coming off an injury and a 34 yr old Davalillo. It turned out great because both Briles and Davalillo were key contributors and Al Oliver gave them another hitting machine with more power to replace Alou.
BucsFaninGA

Daniel Nava owww

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Wish Neal Huntington the Brain Thurst had made that kinda deal in 2015! But I doubt they would have had the courage to do such a move... Thanks for the memory of Matty Alou. Recall him misplaying a fly ball, a can of corn, as Bob Prince used to say. And it hit him in the head. He was an on OB machine indeed. Those Alou Boys could hit....Beat'em Bucs