Official Game Thread -10/2 Will Bucs Cruz to win over Reds?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Winning always makes a game much more fun, but tonight the crowd was really into it.

The heffers that kept chanting "MVP MVP" every time Castellanos was up was met with our own, "No he's not!". The heftiest of the group apparently couldn't take a little ribbing from Pirates fans as MVP made the final out, and she started getting all dramatic and went after some one. The whole group of them were kicked out. Thanks for enriching a Pirate fan and BOB for buying those pricey tickets...and no fireworks for you!!!

I only wish that Yoshi and Cruz could have come through with hits when the bases were loaded. I think every single one of us would have had no voice on Sunday if they had.

And Moran...wtf was he thinking trying to bunt early in the game with 2 outs? You're the clean up hitter, you needed to be swinging.....in the 8th inning you needed to be bunting and moving Reynolds over after the lead off double. Poor situational hitting, really surprised how bad he was.

I think he's feeling the squeeze. If Yoshi gets signed, with Cruz on his way, and Tucker probably getting another shot (he's still not even arbitration eligible yet) things getting tight for people to play.

Friday and Saturday night were just B-E-A-YOOTIFUL

Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

The Pirates are 14-18 since sending Polanco packing, playing to a .438 winning percentage. They were .364 after his final game, a 59 win season pace. I know someone will make a big deal out of them winning 2 or 3 more games otherwise, however, extrapolating that over the entire season, it comes out to 10-11 more wins.

The Pirates were scoring 3.61 runs per game during Polanco's run. Since then, they have scored 4.38 runs per game.

The numbers don't lie. He won't be around one inning next season, and because of that, the Pirates have already improved 11 games.

Addition by subtraction.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

664047525B5740565E350 wrote: The Pirates are 14-18 since sending Polanco packing, playing to a .438 winning percentage. They were .364 after his final game, a 59 win season pace. I know someone will make a big deal out of them winning 2 or 3 more games otherwise, however, extrapolating that over the entire season, it comes out to 10-11 more wins.

The Pirates were scoring 3.61 runs per game during Polanco's run. Since then, they have scored 4.38 runs per game.

The numbers don't lie. He won't be around one inning next season, and because of that, the Pirates have already improved 11 games.

Addition by subtraction.
It's interesting that Toronto has been fighting all month to get a WC spot but left Polanco in AAA where he's hitting .374. And they could even hide him at DH. His contract was bought out so he's a FA next year. Makes ya wonder why the Blue Jays signed him.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Mears (1-0) becomes the 29th Pirate pitcher this season to record at least 1 decision. That is the most in franchise history.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

4F626F7E79687F3F3C0D0 wrote: Reynolds gets his 4th hit. Now at .303.
On the radio they noted that he could go 0-5 tomorrow and still end over .300.
That's right. No reason not to start him tomorrow.
If he went 0-6, he would still technically be .300, he'd be at .2996

People were talking about this leaving the game. A gent much older than me said to me directly that he supposedly had some inside info that Reynolds wouldn't play tomorrow to make sure he hit .300. I asked him, "Is that what Ted Williams would do?"

I mean, it's fine with me if he sits, if he doesn't aspire to be an all time great.

Those who aspire to be all time greats, don't sit just to build a bunker around a personal accomplishment.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

4C616C7D7A6B7C3C3F0E0 wrote: Mears (1-0) becomes the 29th Pirate pitcher this season to record at least 1 decision. That is the most in franchise history.
I was kind of confused about that. I thought when the starting pitcher didn't go 5 innings, the official scorers could actually assign the win to who they thought was most deserving. I obviously don't understand that part of the scoring it would appear. He certainly wasn't the most effective reliever. The win should have gone to Shreve or Miller. Mears seemed to benefit from the standard way of scoring.

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/standard-s ... %20pitcher.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

7B5D5A4F464A5D4B43280 wrote: Mears (1-0) becomes the 29th Pirate pitcher this season to record at least 1 decision. That is the most in franchise history.
I was kind of confused about that. I thought when the starting pitcher didn't go 5 innings, the official scorers could actually assign the win to who they thought was most deserving. I obviously don't understand that part of the scoring it would appear. He certainly wasn't the most effective reliever. The win should have gone to Shreve or Miller. Mears seemed to benefit from the standard way of scoring.

Still have a shot at a sweep!
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4D6B6C79707C6B7D751E0 wrote: Mears (1-0) becomes the 29th Pirate pitcher this season to record at least 1 decision. That is the most in franchise history.

A pitcher receives a win when he is the pitcher of record when his team takes the lead for good -- with a couple rare exceptions. First, a starting pitcher must pitch at least five innings (in a traditional game of nine innings or longer) to qualify for the win. If he does not, the official scorer awards the win to the most effective relief pitcher.

There is also a rarely used clause where an official scorer can deem a relief pitcher's appearance "brief and ineffective." (For example, if a reliever relinquished a one-run lead by allowing three runs, but was still in line for a win after his team scored four runs in the following inning -- that may qualify.) If that's the case, the scorer can award the win to a pitcher who followed that "brief and ineffective" pitcher. Which relief pitcher earns the win specifically is also up to the judgment of the official scorer.

Kranick was losing when he left after 4 innings. So there was no issue of the official scorer deciding who should get credit for a win that Kranick would have received had he not failed to go the required 5 innings. And Mears let an inherited runner score but was not charged with a run so his appearance was not so egregious that the other "rarely used clause" applied. So this game simply became the standard issue of whoever was the pitcher of record. De Los Santos pitched the top of the 5th after which they trailed 5-0 with Kranick on the hook for the loss until the Bucs took a 6-5 lead in the bottom of the 5th with De Los Santos now the pitcher of record. But that changed in the 6th when the tie run was charged to Howard as Mears finished the inning. The Pirates immediately retook the lead before any pitcher had replaced Mears so he was the pitcher of record.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

033D3830233B3B301035223166540 wrote:

Still have a shot at a sweep!
Never have I brought a broom thinking jinx/looking stupid if they lose.

This is the final shot. I'm going for it.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

5F797E6B626E796F670C0 wrote: The Pirates are 14-18 since sending Polanco packing, playing to a .438 winning percentage. They were .364 after his final game, a 59 win season pace. I know someone will make a big deal out of them winning 2 or 3 more games otherwise, however, extrapolating that over the entire season, it comes out to 10-11 more wins.

Addition by subtraction.

This info doesn't surprise me.  He had become a terrible liability when in the line-up.  There's additional good news as well:  other players replacing him have had an opportunity to gain experience in this, a losing season, when losing more was of no consequence, and can be more comfortable when next season starts as a result.  His release should've come sooner.