A Player The Bucs Might Pursue

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

11232F2F3B092A232E2B2423420 wrote: I think we have to recognize that there isn't likely to be someone we would consider to be an exciting pitcher coming our way. At best we have to hope for someone solid to slot in at the three spot. That would be good, but not exciting. I would think a trade is most likely - any free agent signing (Nova included) would take a three year or more commitment and I don't see them wanting to do that.

We at the very least need two pitchers like that.  Otherwise our SP outlook going into the season is even worse than going into last. 

Last year they started with what they thought was a great pitcher (Cole) after a 19-8 season, a legit 2 (Liriano), a 4 posing as a 3 (Niese), and 2 guys who didn't belong in a MLB rotation (Nicasio, Locke). All of them disappointed.

It's hard to figure this year because we no longer have any idea what to expect from Cole. Taillon looks like a legit 2. Kuhl might be the 4 posing as a 3. Whatever other 2 they can provide from within (Glasnow, Hutchison, Brault, Williams) figure to match the Locke and Nicasio/Vogelsong production. But options are few if any. FAs are not top tier this year and too expensive anyway for the "tight budget" NH talks about. Best case scenario (and not necessarily unrealistic) is that Cole pitches like 2015, Taillon pitches like 2016, Kuhl makes progress from an encouraging rookie season, Glasnow pitches well and the only real weakness is the #5.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

454C44555B210 wrote: Hasnt 2016 finally stuck a fork in that Searage myth?  If it hasn't by now, I'm afraid of what possibly could

I guess we should ask Nova (and the extra $20 million or so he'll make at FA for his two months under Searage) ...
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

1A3B2E271F263D2E3B2A4F0 wrote: Hasnt 2016 finally stuck a fork in that Searage myth?  If it hasn't by now, I'm afraid of what possibly could

I guess we should ask Nova (and the extra $20 million or so he'll make at FA for his two months under Searage) ...

Should we also ask Jeff Locke, Jon Niese, Ryan Vogelsong, Francisco Liriano and Juan Nicasio? I think we should.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

7151425F5E300 wrote: Hasnt 2016 finally stuck a fork in that Searage myth?  If it hasn't by now, I'm afraid of what possibly could

Should we also ask Jeff Locke, Jon Niese, Ryan Vogelsong, Francisco Liriano and Juan Nicasio?  I think we should.

Searage doesn't get credit for Liriano? He stopped listening to him and walked out of a coaching session.

Maybe those others guys would have been even worse without Searage? One season shouldn't mean Searage lost his touch.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

694449585F4E59191A2B0 wrote: The Twins removed Tommy Milone off the roster yesterday and he filed for free agency. He has had some success in the past, he is a lefty and he just might be the type of player whom the Bucs might attempt to sign even to a minor league contract with an invite to spring training.

Sigh ... another reclamation project.  His resume screams a future Pirate.

Which I'd be fine with if he isn't the headline acquisition.  I mean, every team goes and gets that kind of guy every offseason.  It's just that not all teams bank on it working out but rather consider it a pleasant surprise when it does.

He would more than likely be the headline acquisition. I have zero faith in the FO or ownership to bring in a competent headliner.
There are no competent headliners at the Dollar Store.

LOL agree, sadly.
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Searage is a pitching coach, not the great healer. Jeff Locke was and has never shown any consistency to be anyone to count on for any length of time. Niciaso was a reliever...Neise just bombed out big time. And Cole got hurt early and the spiral continued for our ace throughout the season. Ray did his best with what he was given. Anyone who has worked in coaching knows, that sometimes you can't take chicken feathers and make chicken salad. I really believe that the FO needs to get at least two vets for SR. If they do the dumpster dive, there is no guarantee it will pan out. A trade and a FA signing is what I am hoping for. Fingers Crossed and Here Hoping that NH and Nutting have learned you gotta spend $$ to get some quality help. Beat'em Bucs 8-)
mouse

Post by mouse »

Who would you trade? And who would you expect to get in return?
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

I hate to say it, but I would deal McCutchen to Tampa Bay. I really like Cutch a lot, but he is not going to be happy in RF nor that great playing LF. Tampa Bay has some pitching to move for hitting. Add a prospect to Cutch and bring home a SP...

Beat'em Bucs
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

487F69794C6B6463644D4B0A0 wrote: I hate to say it, but I would deal McCutchen to Tampa Bay. I really like Cutch a lot, but he is not going to be happy in RF nor that great playing LF. Tampa Bay has some pitching to move for hitting. Add a prospect to Cutch and bring home a SP...

Beat'em Bucs

IMO, Tampa makes little sense. The only pitcher in that rotation that is appealing is Archer. The rest aren't worth Cutch plus. They are worth the plus.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

1031242D152C37243120450 wrote: Hasnt 2016 finally stuck a fork in that Searage myth?  If it hasn't by now, I'm afraid of what possibly could

11 starts after changing leagues, unsustainable walk and HR rate. yes sir, ray searage at work. its not like a talented pitcher could put together a very strong two months on his own.

on the flip side,Frankie pitched as good or better than Nova in comparable time with the Jays.

so it must have been Searages fault frankie lost it for a few months. boy, glad we dont have that guy around