4/19 Bucs@Phillies

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CTBucco

4/19 Bucs@Phillies

Post by CTBucco »

Arietta looked like the dominant guy from a couple of years ago. He had good control in-out and up-down. Not many good ABs by the guys tonight.

I joined the game as Glasnow was coming on. He made me feel giddy at times with his stuff. Pure gas. His curve can be dominant in/near the zone, but he misses badly with it about half the time. The FB was all over the place and mainly up in the zone. That's OK with the heat he brings, but, again, there are a lot of non-competitive pitches.

He struggled from the stretch. He couldn't seem to get the FB down below the shoulders. I haven't noticed if he lands on a stiff or flexed front leg. I think he keeps it stiff. Then he has to get over the top a lot more to bring the pitch down. If he flexes (I did when I pitched - in the Tom Seaver dirty knee mold), my pitches strayed high when I didn't get down far enough (usually starting to tire) or if I wasn't getting my hips turned early enough.
rucker59@gmail.com

4/19 Bucs@Phillies

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

624445524454270 wrote: totally missed this while attending a soccer game.  From box score it s good that Glasnow got 7 ks.  Looks like he was wild. Rodriguez seemed to do well.

Was surprised Arietta appeared to be so dominant.  If he keeps this up the Phillies may be a contender.

I missed the game also, and was surprised by both Tallinn and Arietta. Just from box score and reports, this appears to fullfill my biggest concern- we’re asking a whole pack of young guys in the rotation to do things I doubt they’re capable of at this stage: being consistent is probably most unrealistic. Unfortunately for me, I though Tallion could maybe become a consistent shut down guy; I expected him to win yesterday. He let the dam break and I think the lineup was not going to be able to dig out.

I think we can score enough runs generally, but good pitchers are not going to waste 5 run leads. Wish we had picked up one quality starter...
dmetz

4/19 Bucs@Phillies

Post by dmetz »

The offense will end up the bigger issue on this club more than the pitching, same as it was last year.   You can see the slumps really start to extend now and the numbers getting on the wrong end of average for some critical lineup pieces.
notes34

4/19 Bucs@Phillies

Post by notes34 »

29202839374D0 wrote: The offense will end up the bigger issue on this club more than the pitching, same as it was last year.   You can see the slumps really start to extend now and the numbers getting on the wrong end of average for some critical lineup pieces.
Its been a pleasant surprise that the offense has been so good to start the season, but I still stand by my preseason prediction that this is a well below average offense.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

4/19 Bucs@Phillies

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

One of those games. Every team has them. Just got to win today and erase it from memory.
Quail

4/19 Bucs@Phillies

Post by Quail »

The last two games are fairly typical of what you can expect with a very young starting pitching staff. On Wednesday Kuhl (the starter who has struggled the most) pitches his best game of the season, and on Thursday Taillon (our best pitcher this season) pitches his worst.

This kind of inconsistency is why it's so hard to foresee what kind of year this will be for this team in terms of wins and losses. Will these talented pitchers mature quickly enough to provide the consistency needed to be a contender or will it be a roller coaster year exemplified by the previous two games? Regardless, it makes for an intriguing season. Stay tuned....
CutchisaBoss

4/19 Bucs@Phillies

Post by CutchisaBoss »

I thought Glasnow looked a lot better than his line. No hard contact at all. He clearly got fatigued the last 15-20 pitches.

I hope this was an effort to stretch him out with plans to replace Brault with him. Gotta give him a chance to figure it out.
dmetz

4/19 Bucs@Phillies

Post by dmetz »

Yeah, if there's one thing Glasnow hasn't had enough of, it's chances.  The fact that's he not been able to pitch effectively in any ML role at all, from starter to low-leverage mop-up long man shouldnt stop us from giving him more chances to start as soon as possible
dogknot17@yahoo.co

4/19 Bucs@Phillies

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

He's 24 years old and hasn't pitched 100 innings in the majors.
dmetz

4/19 Bucs@Phillies

Post by dmetz »

757E767A7F7E652026516870797E7E3F727E110 wrote: He's 24 years old and hasn't pitched 100 innings in the majors.

His ERA is 6.63.   and 5.84 as a low leverage long man.   IDGAF how many innings you think he deserves as a starter.  He's been unable to succeed at all, in any role.   All he has to do is prove he can succeed pitching when the game is meaningless.   How hard can that be for someone that would succeed as a starter?    Answer, it's not.

Gimme a break with all the babying this guy.