Trade Deadline

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Trade Deadline

Post by Bobster21 »

4F7A6D6D665F6D6D66616D080 wrote: Cherington hired Shelton, a guy I read how many complaints about....per game?  Probably more than POLANCO.

The draft appears very good.  If I was told that we need to 'wait and see' before.....it's just as true for another three years to see how these guys do.  Some could be  elsewhere, for all we know.

Jury's probably still out on Cherington.  Right now, he's a last place GM.  Don't know what he'll be next year or the year after that.
I agree. As far as rebuilding the minor league talent via trades and drafting, Cherington seems to be doing a very good job. We'll have to wait for the results but there seems to be cause for optimism.

I realize that is BC's primary objective but I don't think it's right to just slap together a pathetic roster at the MLB level to subject the loyal fans to consistently bad baseball. Less than half the roster are even legitimate MLB players. And Shelton is a terrible manager. Even on Nutting's budget there's no excuse for Shelton's moves or playing Tom or Polanco or having a BP full of guys who routinely walk batters or obsessing over resting the few good players they have. Until things improve at the MLB level, it's not enough to just promise a better future. But at least the minor leagues now look more promising than under NH. And of course we all know that Nutting will spend when the time is right. So that's really encouraging! ::)
WildwoodDave2

Trade Deadline

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

526770707B4270707B7C70150 wrote: Cherington hired Shelton, a guy I read how many complaints about....per game?  Probably more than POLANCO.

The draft appears very good.  If I was told that we need to 'wait and see' before.....it's just as true for another three years to see how these guys do.  Some could be  elsewhere, for all we know.

Jury's probably still out on Cherington.  Right now, he's a last place GM.  Don't know what he'll be next year or the year after that.
He
WildwoodDave2

Trade Deadline

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

6F51545C4F57575C7C594E5D0A380 wrote: Cherington hired Shelton, a guy I read how many complaints about....per game?  Probably more than POLANCO.

He is a last place GM due to the actions of the clown that preceded him. Who gave Polanco that new contract?.Who traded for Archer?
WildwoodDave2

Trade Deadline

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

6B67663D343D35383F203A0D0 wrote: There has been much talk about the Bucs moving certain players prior to, or at the July 30 trade deadline date. The 3 most common names to be moved are Adam Frazier, Tyler Anderson and Richard Rodriguez. The more I think about it, maybe none of these players will be traded, or if they are moved the return will be minimal. The White Sox who need a second baseman are getting close to acquiring Escobar from the DBacks. Probably the Sox were one of the teams which most needed second base help. Anderson has done well for Pittsburgh except for two starts, but is a team going to overpay for him? The same goes for Rich Rod he has been very good in the closer role, but in a trade will he bring back a decent return? It will be an interesting month, and I am sure Ben Cherington will not trade these players without getting a return that will help the Pirates in the future.
Phillies are in desperate need of Pitching. Thry are going to look at Cole Hammels who is going through a workout tomorrow. Other teams will be there as well
mouse

Trade Deadline

Post by mouse »

There don't seem to be a lot of teams in contention, which isn't good for sellers. Too many sellers, not enough buyers. I wonder if Ben might hold back on some deals until the off-season where there are more buyers.
GreenWeenie

Trade Deadline

Post by GreenWeenie »

795459484F5E49090A3B0 wrote: Cherington hired Shelton, a guy I read how many complaints about....per game?  Probably more than POLANCO.

I agree. As far as rebuilding the minor league talent via trades and drafting, Cherington seems to be doing a very good job. We'll have to wait for the results but there seems to be cause for optimism.

I realize that is BC's primary objective but I don't think it's right to just slap together a pathetic roster at the MLB level to subject the loyal fans to consistently bad baseball. Less than half the roster are even legitimate MLB players. And Shelton is a terrible manager. Even on Nutting's budget there's no excuse for Shelton's moves or playing Tom or Polanco or having a BP full of guys who routinely walk batters or obsessing over resting the few good players they have. Until things improve at the MLB level, it's not enough to just promise a better future. But at least the minor leagues now look more promising than under NH. And of course we all know that Nutting will spend when the time is right. So that's really encouraging!   ::)

I like the theory. It's the practice that I'm not sold on...

Formidable division and league opponents don't usually sit iidly by. Nearly all have a head start.

And, we have the other human obstacle., so the hill's steep.

We know that 50% might not pan out well. We don't know which.

In the meantime, we have a few more years of games to watch.
WildwoodDave2

Trade Deadline

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

33312B2D3B5E0 wrote: There don't seem to be a lot of teams in contention, which isn't good for sellers. Too many sellers, not enough buyers. I wonder if Ben might hold back on some deals until the off-season where there are more buyers.
I believe that Surge had mentioned that earlier in regard to Frazier
rucker59@gmail.com

Trade Deadline

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

26282D24323B2424410 wrote: I actually think Ben Cherington has done a great job as Pirates GM.  This past draft just validates it even more.  He does not have the Red Sox or Yankees budget, so he works within Scrooge McNutting's budget.  He was hired for his past successes as a talent evaluator, specifically prospects.  He has put our farm system in a great place for years to come with his trades and drafts.  Will that translate to future success and subsequent playoff appearances?  One can only hope, but without a talented minor league system we have zero chance of success.  I am optimistic we will be successful in the near future.

I would not trade Frazier, just to trade Frazier.  We need to treat our best assets as just that.  Anderson is different, he is a FA after this season.  If we get feelers for him, we listen and if it makes sense we move him.

Even though we might suck, I still want to see them compete against teams.  It was fun to see it the way they did in NY before the AS break.

Really good post.
rucker59@gmail.com

Trade Deadline

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

6F5D51514577545D50555A5D3C0 wrote: I don't know about everyone else but I'm ready to fire the next guy.  What are we waiting for?

I'm thinking we should trade Davis while he still has a little value. Can't even beat out Stallings....
shedman

Trade Deadline

Post by shedman »

2F21242D3B322D2D480 wrote: I actually think Ben Cherington has done a great job as Pirates GM.  This past draft just validates it even more.  He does not have the Red Sox or Yankees budget, so he works within Scrooge McNutting's budget.  He was hired for his past successes as a talent evaluator, specifically prospects.  He has put our farm system in a great place for years to come with his trades and drafts.  Will that translate to future success and subsequent playoff appearances?  One can only hope, but without a talented minor league system we have zero chance of success.  I am optimistic we will be successful in the near future.

I would not trade Frazier, just to trade Frazier.  We need to treat our best assets as just that.  Anderson is different, he is a FA after this season.  If we get feelers for him, we listen and if it makes sense we move him.

Even though we might suck, I still want to see them compete against teams.  It was fun to see it the way they did in NY before the AS break.
________

I actually think that Cherington has done a lousy job as GM. He has been here two years and we have never left last place. We should keep Frazier and Anderson and add some major league ball players.