Nice to see

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

mouse

Nice to see

Post by mouse »

:) I've been waiting until closer to opening day before making my prediction. I tend to get too enthusiastic (optimistic) anyway and thought I might want to just hold off and see if that passes.
SCBucco

Nice to see

Post by SCBucco »

060D05090C0D165355221B030A0D0D4C010D620 wrote: I read the Pirates lead the Grapefruit League in HRs with 38 so far.  That's pretty encouraging considering they were in the bottom of HRs last year.

Slow the roll. This is exhibition season where a bunch of non factors on the mound and at the plate are giving up and hitting homers. This doesn't mean all the sudden Pittsburgh is a force in power.
iabucco

Nice to see

Post by iabucco »

I tend to be a glass half full type of guy, at least in the spring. I am ok with the lineup, it is the rotation that scares me. I think Taillon will be fine but after that not so much. The division is tough too and they can't beat the Reds when they suck.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Nice to see

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

54444572646468070 wrote: I read the Pirates lead the Grapefruit League in HRs with 38 so far.  That's pretty encouraging considering they were in the bottom of HRs last year.

Slow the roll.  This is exhibition season where a bunch of non factors on the mound and at the plate are giving up and hitting homers.  This doesn't mean all the sudden Pittsburgh is a force in power.

You are right. I did apologize for pointing this out in a thread titled "Nice to see".

I'm catching on: Glasnow pitches well, it's just spring training. Musgrove pitches bad, the rotation stinks & terrible trade. Osuna hits a HR, he needs a roster spot. Polanco hits a HR, it's an exhibition game.
Bobster21

Nice to see

Post by Bobster21 »

4A42415640404C230 wrote: I tend to be a glass half full type of guy, at least in the spring.  I am ok with the lineup, it is the rotation that scares me.  I think Taillon will be fine but after that not so much.  The division is tough too and they can't beat the Reds when they suck. 
I'm cautiously optimistic about the rotation. I like what I see in Taillon, Kuhl and Williams. Nova is decent for a #5 but nothing more. Which means they need another starter to pitch better than Nova. Musgrove was a bust as a starter last year. But it's a new year, new team, new pitching coach. So maybe. I think the rotation could turn out to be a plus. We have to face the reality that that Pirates WILL NEVER, EVER, EVER go out and acquire an expensive, established, currently productive pitcher. At the time they obtained them, Burnett, Liriano, Volquez and Happ were not that. So they have to develop a young, low paid, but effective rotation. I think there's a chance that's exactly what we may see this year.
PMike

Nice to see

Post by PMike »

082528393E2F38787B4A0 wrote: I tend to be a glass half full type of guy, at least in the spring.  I am ok with the lineup, it is the rotation that scares me.  I think Taillon will be fine but after that not so much.  The division is tough too and they can't beat the Reds when they suck. 
I'm cautiously optimistic about the rotation. I like what I see in Taillon, Kuhl and Williams. Nova is decent for a #5 but nothing more. Which means they need another starter to pitch better than Nova. Musgrove was a bust as a starter last year. But it's a new year, new team, new pitching coach. So maybe. I think the rotation could turn out to be a plus. We have to face the reality that that Pirates WILL NEVER, EVER, EVER go out and acquire an expensive, established, currently productive pitcher. At the time they obtained them, Burnett, Liriano, Volquez and Happ were not that. So they have to develop a young, low paid, but effective rotation. I think there's a chance that's exactly what we may see this year. 

Brault gets seriously over looked Pirates fans. I do it too, so I'm not pointing fingers. He was really good all through the minors. He was fantastic last year in AAA and held his own in the majors. He has been great in the spring so far. I wonder when people will give him more props.
Bobster21

Nice to see

Post by Bobster21 »

637E5A5856330 wrote: I tend to be a glass half full type of guy, at least in the spring.  I am ok with the lineup, it is the rotation that scares me.  I think Taillon will be fine but after that not so much.  The division is tough too and they can't beat the Reds when they suck. 

Brault gets seriously over looked Pirates fans.  I do it too, so I'm not pointing fingers.  He was really good all through the minors.  He was fantastic last year in AAA and held his own in the majors.  He has been great in the spring so far.  I wonder when people will give him more props.
I like Brault too. But as it currently stands, he's not in the rotation. But if any of the starters fails, he's one of the next in line.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Nice to see

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Brault doesn't hit the zone a lot with curve and slider. He relies on his fastball and sinker too much. He should be getting more groundballs with his sinker, but still a plus pitch.

I like Brault. Like Bobster said, he should be the next man up. But he is still young and needs to get that third pitch much stronger. I haven't been impressed with his bullpen work for the Pirates, but a very small sample size. He is young and left-handed. He will get many chances.