Pirates DFA Colin Moran

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SyrBucco

Pirates DFA Colin Moran

Post by SyrBucco »

As the last Colin Moran fan left on the board, I wish him well and thank him for the timely hitting since his arrival here. I will not be surprised to see him on another MLB roster next season, and if he's healthy, he'll be productive.
GreenWeenie

Pirates DFA Colin Moran

Post by GreenWeenie »

I would place money on him being picked up on a MLB contract. I'd be a lot more surprised if he wasn't.
ChillinStation

Pirates DFA Colin Moran

Post by ChillinStation »

Moran will be just fine. We are going to miss out on his breakout season. Last year he was banged up and could never get back into rhythm. Just watch, he will start putting up Adam Larouche numbers and be a solid player for years .
johnfluharty

Pirates DFA Colin Moran

Post by johnfluharty »

This coming season will be his age 29 season. Not sure we should expect a break out at this point. I do think he has a chance to slightly improve on his best year thus far and hit in the 270s with 15-20 HR and his defensive at first might improve to average with some work and more experience, but I think we can do better than that.
Bobster21

Pirates DFA Colin Moran

Post by Bobster21 »

2421262028223B262F3C3A374E0 wrote: This coming season will be his age 29 season.  Not sure we should expect a break out at this point.  I do think he has a chance to slightly improve on his best year thus far and hit in the 270s with 15-20 HR and his defensive at first might improve to average with some work and more experience, but I think we can do better than that. 
I agree. He's not a bad player but he's not good enough to hold a starting job with a good team. He was a defensive liability at 3B and his moderate power doesn't play well at 1B. For the Pirates he was the type of player who is adequate until someone better comes along. I think he can still have a long career as a backup at 1B-3B, DH and PHer. But I doubt he'll ever again get as many ABs as he got with the Pirates.
Ecbucs

Pirates DFA Colin Moran

Post by Ecbucs »

6D404D5C5B4A5D1D1E2F0 wrote: This coming season will be his age 29 season.  Not sure we should expect a break out at this point.  I do think he has a chance to slightly improve on his best year thus far and hit in the 270s with 15-20 HR and his defensive at first might improve to average with some work and more experience, but I think we can do better than that. 
I agree. He's not a bad player but he's not good enough to hold a starting job with a good team. He was a defensive liability at 3B and his moderate power doesn't play well at 1B. For the Pirates he was the type of player who is adequate until someone better comes along. I think he can still have a long career as a backup at 1B-3B, DH and PHer. But I doubt he'll ever again get as many ABs as he got with the Pirates.

what happens with his ten day designated for assignment window? does he get automatically released/non-tendered by Bucs? I agree about him being best as a back up player. Probably worth a couple million dollar contract but not $4 or 5 million.

johnfluharty

Pirates DFA Colin Moran

Post by johnfluharty »

That's an excellent question. I wonder what happens to that 10-day window giving the lockout...
Bobster21

Pirates DFA Colin Moran

Post by Bobster21 »

4441464048425B464F5C5A572E0 wrote: That's an excellent question.  I wonder what happens to that 10-day window giving the lockout...
The lockout freezes all transactions for players on 40 man rosters. However, Moran was DFA'd prior to the lockout and being DFA'd immediately removed him from the 40 man roster. My best guess is that he can be released after the 10 day window. And if that is the case, I guess he could only be signed to a minor league contract.