Oh Joy

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CarolinaBucco

Oh Joy

Post by CarolinaBucco »

What I am expecting today ...

Announcement: Polanco goes to DL.

Pirates Response: Nothing. That means 2 more weeks playing with 2 true outfielders in a sport that historically requires 3 outfielders. This is great news for Jaso and Osuna.

Announcement: Cervelli to the DL.

Pirates Response: Call up Diaz so that he can sit on the bench while Stewart starts the majority of games.

It's going to take a MIRACLE for the Pirates to survive this next stretch and remain relevant.

* 2 at Milwaukee (Brewers are going to be out for revenge)

* 4 vs. STL

* 4 vs. the Dodgers

When the clock strikes midnight next Thursday, Aug. 24, if the Pirates are still within 5 games of 1st I will be shocked. To do that, Cutch and Bell are going to have to be red-hot, Marte needs to wake up, and our starting pitching has got be excellent night in and night out. That's asking a lot, and it's probably not realistic.

I fully expect this 10-game stretch to be our final meaningful baseball of the season.

As usual, hope I'm wrong.
Bobster21

Oh Joy

Post by Bobster21 »

There seems to be some reluctance to DL Cervelli so I'm expecting Diaz to replace Polanco on the roster and go with 3 catchers and 2 outfielders.
mouse

Oh Joy

Post by mouse »

Bobster, you forgot the little smiley face after that comment. Um, that was a joke, right? They wouldn't really . . .
Bobster21

Oh Joy

Post by Bobster21 »

42405A5C4A2F0 wrote: Bobster, you forgot the little smiley face after that comment. Um, that was a joke, right? They wouldn't really . . .
They went with 3 catchers earlier. And they have S-Rod to play OF. So........
CarolinaBucco

Oh Joy

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Bobster -- Good point. That would be a very Pirates thing to do ... especially since they've already done it this year.

We have to play 1 catcher ... but we need 3.

We have to play 3 outfielders ... but we can get by with 2.
mouse

Oh Joy

Post by mouse »

Unfortunately, that is a good point.
johnfluharty

Oh Joy

Post by johnfluharty »

Cervelli will try to play through the pain, hoping he heals enough to help the team win on a daily basis

http://m.pirates.mlb.com/news/article/2 ... st-injury/
Ecbucs

Oh Joy

Post by Ecbucs »

4441464048425B464F5C5A572E0 wrote: Cervelli will try to play through the pain, hoping he heals enough to help the team win on a daily basis

no report on what the injury actually is and prognosis for recovery. Playing with pain hasn't been working for him so far.
Jerseykc

Oh Joy

Post by Jerseykc »

644243544252210 wrote: Cervelli will try to play through the pain, hoping he heals enough to help the team win on a daily basis

no report on what the injury actually is and prognosis for recovery.  Playing with pain hasn't been working for him so far.

He is saying that he'll smile through it