Gerrit Cole

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Leyland1948

Gerrit Cole

Post by Leyland1948 »

Not likely to sign an extension per the Trib, would you start listening to trade requests over the winter to feel out the market if any?
Quail

Gerrit Cole

Post by Quail »

No. I wouldn't consider doing it when his trade value is at a low point. Also given the possibility that the starting rotation in 2017 may have 4 relatively inexperienced arms in it, Cole could be the only real veteran on the starting staff. If he has a rebound year in 2017 then maybe consider a trade that involves another team over paying, but not until then.
SCBucco

Gerrit Cole

Post by SCBucco »

604450585D310 wrote: No. I wouldn't consider doing it when his trade value is at a low point. Also given the possibility that the starting rotation in 2017 may have 4 relatively inexperienced arms in it, Cole could be the only real veteran on the starting staff. If he has a rebound year in 2017 then maybe consider a trade that involves another team over paying, but not until then.

Agree, his value wouldn't be high. Hope he turns it around and either deal him at the trade deadline or in the offseason next year. I'm not sure I could even bother trying to extend him if he does turn it around. Waste of time. That said, with Cole not being extended and trade rumors surrounding Cutch, the Pirates ownership and FO essentially wasted a few years of our closing window.
Ecbucs

Gerrit Cole

Post by Ecbucs »

7C55495C515E5401090408300 wrote: Not likely to sign an extension per the Trib, would you start listening to trade requests over the winter to feel out the market if any?

would he be worth as much as Archer?
Tintin

Gerrit Cole

Post by Tintin »

He's not willing to take an extension Boras said he'd be open to buying out his arbitration years.

I'd want a year or two if I'm willing to guarantee his arbitration years.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Gerrit Cole

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

No, not trading Cole. He can't go anywhere for years. If he becomes the Ace people think he can be then maybe he will sign that extension.

He's not even making a million dollars yet. Many things can change in the near future. Personally, I think he is stupid not trying for an extension now. He is young and can still hit free agency before age 30. By not get a guarantee contract now?
SCBucco

Gerrit Cole

Post by SCBucco »

6269616D6869723731467F676E6969286569060 wrote: No, not trading Cole. He can't go anywhere for years. If he becomes the Ace people think he can be then maybe he will sign that extension.

He's not even making a million dollars yet. Many things can change in the near future. Personally, I think he is stupid not trying for an extension now. He is young and can still hit free agency before age 30. By not get a guarantee contract now?

Based on him crying in the offseason, I doubt he would be open to an extension here. He has an agent that basically won't allow him resigning here. I'm hoping he recovers; returns to form in 2017 and then when we are out of contention, we deal him for a ransom. I think he is a good pitcher, when healthy, but not elite. He isn't a big game pitcher. If someone wants to overpay for that, let them.
Bobster21

Gerrit Cole

Post by Bobster21 »

4151506771717D120 wrote:

Based on him crying in the offseason, I doubt he would be open to an extension here.  He has an agent that basically won't allow him resigning here.  I'm hoping he recovers; returns to form in 2017 and then when we are out of contention, we deal him for a ransom.  I think he is a good pitcher, when healthy, but not elite.  He isn't a big game pitcher.  If someone wants to overpay for that, let them.
Sounds reasonable.
skinnyhorse

Gerrit Cole

Post by skinnyhorse »

4F626F7E79687F3F3C0D0 wrote:

Based on him crying in the offseason, I doubt he would be open to an extension here.  He has an agent that basically won't allow him resigning here.  I'm hoping he recovers; returns to form in 2017 and then when we are out of contention, we deal him for a ransom.  I think he is a good pitcher, when healthy, but not elite.  He isn't a big game pitcher.  If someone wants to overpay for that, let them.
Sounds reasonable.
Cole isn't about the Pirates he's all about him. He should fetch a very good return, but I have little faith in our FO getting anything for him. He will be a stud somewhere else, guaranteed.
SCBucco

Gerrit Cole

Post by SCBucco »

2C343631312637302D2C3A5F0 wrote:

Sounds reasonable.
Cole isn't about the Pirates he's all about him.   He should fetch a very good return, but I have little faith in our FO getting anything for him.  He will be a stud somewhere else, guaranteed.

He isn't fetching a good return now.  His trade value is rather low.  I disagree that he would be a stud somewhere else.  When healthy, he is a good pitcher ... an ace for Pittsburgh.  That term "ace" doesn't necessarily mean elite.  Until he wins a big game, he isn't in that category. In those situations, he serves it up early and doesn't last long.