Trade Deadline

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Trade Deadline

Post by fjk090852-7 »

There has been much talk about the Bucs moving certain players prior to, or at the July 30 trade deadline date. The 3 most common names to be moved are Adam Frazier, Tyler Anderson and Richard Rodriguez. The more I think about it, maybe none of these players will be traded, or if they are moved the return will be minimal. The White Sox who need a second baseman are getting close to acquiring Escobar from the DBacks. Probably the Sox were one of the teams which most needed second base help. Anderson has done well for Pittsburgh except for two starts, but is a team going to overpay for him? The same goes for Rich Rod he has been very good in the closer role, but in a trade will he bring back a decent return? It will be an interesting month, and I am sure Ben Cherington will not trade these players without getting a return that will help the Pirates in the future.
shedman

Trade Deadline

Post by shedman »

I would gladly give another team any of those players if the deal included the other team taking Cherington off our hands.
JollyRoger

Trade Deadline

Post by JollyRoger »

Frazier should be an All Star this year

He is hitting .330, playing solid defense,

Can play multiple position and has another

Year of control. He is only 30. I would think that he could return a top 10 prospect

The Frazier, Hayes, Reynolds top of the Pirate order is actually a pretty good top third
2drfischer@gmail.c

Trade Deadline

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

203B36373E323D530 wrote: I would gladly give another team any of those players if the deal included the other team taking Cherington off our hands.

Sounds like you want to salary dump the GM. Are you sure you don't secretly work for Nutting?
Surgnbuck

Trade Deadline

Post by Surgnbuck »

574C414049454A240 wrote: I would gladly give another team any of those players if the deal included the other team taking Cherington off our hands.
Firing a guy his first full year on the job?

You've become a caricature of yourself.
Surgnbuck

Trade Deadline

Post by Surgnbuck »

31 days till the deadline.

Still here: Polanco

Here's to hoping that one full long month away, we no longer see Polanco.

Earlier is even better.
fjk090852-7

Trade Deadline

Post by fjk090852-7 »

We are about two weeks out from the trading deadline, and as I look at the standings I wonder how much activity there will be. Several of the teams leading their divisions have a several game lead. Such as the White Sox they lead the Indians by 8 games. There are races for Wild Card teams, so those teams may want to add to their rosters. I think one way or another it will be an interesting two weeks.
gileszee

Trade Deadline

Post by gileszee »

I actually think Ben Cherington has done a great job as Pirates GM. This past draft just validates it even more. He does not have the Red Sox or Yankees budget, so he works within Scrooge McNutting's budget. He was hired for his past successes as a talent evaluator, specifically prospects. He has put our farm system in a great place for years to come with his trades and drafts. Will that translate to future success and subsequent playoff appearances? One can only hope, but without a talented minor league system we have zero chance of success. I am optimistic we will be successful in the near future.

I would not trade Frazier, just to trade Frazier. We need to treat our best assets as just that. Anderson is different, he is a FA after this season. If we get feelers for him, we listen and if it makes sense we move him.

Even though we might suck, I still want to see them compete against teams. It was fun to see it the way they did in NY before the AS break.
GreenWeenie

Trade Deadline

Post by GreenWeenie »

Cherington hired Shelton, a guy I read how many complaints about....per game? Probably more than POLANCO.

The draft appears very good. If I was told that we need to 'wait and see' before.....it's just as true for another three years to see how these guys do. Some could be elsewhere, for all we know.

Jury's probably still out on Cherington. Right now, he's a last place GM. Don't know what he'll be next year or the year after that.
SammyKhalifa

Trade Deadline

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I don't know about everyone else but I'm ready to fire the next guy.  What are we waiting for?