Remembering The Great One

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Today marks the 50th anniversary of the tragic plane crash that took the life of Roberto Clemente. I was a young pup aged 24 who was fortunate to see him play most of his career with the Bucs. He was sadly missed but his legacy remains through his sons and what Roberto did for his native Puerto Rico and baseball in general. Thank you Roberto for being my all-time favorite sports hero.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

I have a whole alternate history in my head where he survived and lived on to manage the team. Odd, but comforting.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

I swear I thought I was still just in a long dream, when my mom came and woke me up about 4 or 5 in the morning to tell me. I was 12, we lived in Nevada at that time. Sometimes I still think maybe I am, and the Pirates regroup after that devastating loss to the Reds, and went on to win back to back in 73-74.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

I remember staring at the TV in disbelief when it was announced.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I consider myself fortunate to have become a devoted baseball and Pirate fan when the Pirates won the series in 1960. Clemente was and remains my favorite Pirate player. I do, however wish that I didn't choose to follow his reasoning to use a heavy bat (I never could hit, but using a heavy bat likely didn't help).

Thank you Roberto for being such a great ballplayer, for playing for the Pirates (and for your entire career), and for establishing a standard as a role model that few can exceed.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

614D4542496E594F5F2C0 wrote: I consider myself fortunate to have become a devoted baseball and Pirate fan when the Pirates won the series in 1960.  Clemente was and remains my favorite Pirate player.  I do, however wish that I didn't choose to follow his reasoning to use a heavy bat (I never could hit, but using a heavy bat likely didn't help).

Thank you Roberto for being such a great ballplayer, for playing for the Pirates (and for your entire career), and for establishing a standard as a role model that few can exceed.

Mainer, that is so funny! I'm a couple of years behind you, but after Matty Alou won the batting title in 1966, I went whole-heartedly in with the Charlie Lay hitting method that Alou used and in Little League I raked pretty good for a couple of years. Then I grew pretty fast, decided I needed to use a heavier bat, changed my approach, failed miserably, and took up golf. ;D