One sure way for Neal to prove he’s competing:

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

He’s basically saying the Pirates aren’t being treated fairly, that they ARE planning to compete THIS season.

there is one test that will prove whether he’s telling the truth or BS: opening day payroll.

If he’s trying to compete, he’s got a golden opportunity to prove it. The savings on Cutch and Cole - reinvested? The $50M media windfall - how much is invested?

there is a FA mkt that is as cheap as it will ever be.

Will he trade prospects for quality additions?

Will he keep JHay?

If Neal comes in with a payroll that does not use the money available then this is all BS. If he does then I’ll defend that he’s at least trying.
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

I agree whole heartedly. These trades cut payroll and brought in your players. What the front office does with the cash savings  is one reason as a fan, that I am tired of Nutting, Huntington and Connelly. They talk a good line, but do zip to improve the team. Jean K. wrote on his sight that they are just kicking the can a few steps further! And boy it seems like it season in and season out. Management said this week, the current team can compete for the NL Central this year? What the heck are they thinking? Young starting pitching with your most seasoned pitcher a #3 or 4 starter. You lack a seasoned, experienced 3rd baseman. You need a starting outfielder to replace Cutch. And your bullpen is full of middle inning relievers or rookies  that are unproven with the exception of  8-) Rivero, Hudson (who gets bombed a lot) and Kontos, a recent waiver claim who looks to be a decent reliever. The offseasons in Pittsburgh are spent dumpster diving and signing players that have been waived or AAAA types. and over and over again, we can't compete as a small market team, we have to build from within through the draft, and the players we draft are not impact players consistently. More border line guys with big hearts, a lot of hustle and mediocre talent. It just doesn't make sense that the Bucs will win a World Series with this current front office and leadership...I'M praying for intervention by MLB and enough backlash that Nutting will be forced to do something! Hey when Cutch and Cole exit with class and sight the organization lacking in support and ex-Pirate Sid Bream voices the same at PirateFest, something is not right here folks! >:(
psuinpgh21

Post by psuinpgh21 »

Why not offer Lorenzo Cain, Jake Arrieta, Alex Cobb, Neil Walker, and whoever else is out there a one-year contract, tell them if they do well we will either trade them to a contender or let them walk. Only half a season salary really to deal with.

Plus they have like $2.3 million in foreign free agent money yet(IIRC), they could sign 23 players for $100,000 each. There's bound to be another Apostel brother out there.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I would like for them to spend some of the money they saved by trading Cutch and Cole to acquire an outfielder such as a John Jay or J. Dyson. They need a decent outfielder who can play about 110 games a year. I don’t think they can count on Jordan Luplow , Jose Osuna and Adam Frazier to cover the offense which is now lost with the trade of Cutch.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Totally agree. It makes too much sense for them to go out now and get a Cain, a Dyson, another starter, etc...

The money is AVAILABLE.

The players are AVAILABLE and affordable.

But I don't trust management one bit at this point to go out and actively try to improve this team. They want to get the payroll down to rock-bottom level. That's the end game.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I agree. And it's not just spending to spend. They have a need in the outfield and in the starting rotation. They can't use finances as an excuses for not filling them.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I think Neal is likely alluding to the industry wide trend of teams starting to be more ambivalent about competing. The current market dynamics in baseball are a mess. So they should be judged against what other teams are doing.

The players and owners just need to get together and institute a salary cap/floor and get rid of this BS with 1/2 the teams deciding that competing is "meh".
rucker59@gmail.com

19243A373832391B3324353332560 wrote: I think Neal is likely alluding to the industry wide trend of teams starting to be more ambivalent about competing. The current market dynamics in baseball are a mess. So they should be judged against what other teams are doing.

The players and owners just need to get together and institute a salary cap/floor and get rid of this BS with 1/2 the teams deciding that competing is "meh".

Interesting observation, because I was thinking just the opposite. Yes the teams are for this moment letting FA's sit, but I don't think they're not trying to compete. I do think we may be on the beginning of a new valuation: what are you worth going forward, not what is your past worth.

Otherwise, I see more small mkt teams trying to strategically add critical pieces in order to compete. I think the opportunities for a somewhat level playing field have never been greater (not that its level, obviously).
rucker59@gmail.com

557764797A7F78775463757579160 wrote: Totally agree. It makes too much sense for them to go out now and get a Cain, a Dyson, another starter, etc...

The money is AVAILABLE.

But I don't trust management one bit at this point to go out and actively try to improve this team. They want to get the payroll down to rock-bottom level. That's the end game.

Yep, there is an opportunity to build a nice team. If they try I'll give them full credit. But if they don't....

If they spend the available money then they are trying to compete; if they don't spend the money, they just want to talk about competing. Only one matters, the other is BS.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

6562747C7265222E57707A767E7B3974787A170 wrote: Totally agree. It makes too much sense for them to go out now and get a Cain, a Dyson, another starter, etc...

The money is AVAILABLE.

Yep, there is an opportunity to build a nice team.  If they try I'll give them full credit.  But if they don't....

If they spend the available money then they are trying to compete; if they don't spend the money, they just want to talk about competing.  Only one matters, the other is BS.

why spend money if you've already acquired talent that can compete (at least until Memorial Day)?

I do expect the Pirates to make at least one move but have no idea who they will bring in. Could be a catcher or outfielder. I can see them desperately trying to deal Hudson.