A decent contract proposal for Gerrit Cole

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Check out this article from BucsDugout A Decent Contract Proposal - The Pirates and Gerrit Cole.

Sounds reasonable to me, what do you guys think?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I like it. I think is very good. I don't think he is a Top 5 or Top 10 pitcher (yet, he could be). He would be set up nicely and still be able to hit free agency again.
Quail

Post by Quail »

I really like the rationale and fairness of the proposal which is probably why either Cole or the Pirates will reject it. I'm going to play devil's advocate and say I suspect the Pirates 'internal value system' dogma is intractable enough and Cole's ego (typical of most pro athletes) large enough to prevent a confluence of mutually agreeable dollars. I hope I'm wrong, but that's my gut feeling.

JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

Dream on. Although the proposal makes perfect sense and is rational; we are dealing with Boras here. 70 million is not a mega deal that Boras is accustomed to working on. This would be taking money out of Boras's pockets. He is going for the mega long term deal!
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I don't agree with the Boras is his agent so he won't sign. He could sign a deal now to set him up for life and still cash in later. All Cole has to do is look around his locker room and see that.

Unless he wants to make $600K next year and hope he doesn't get hurt?
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

Regarding Cole. I say try to trade him now to the Dodgers before they get Archer. Offer Cole, Mercer, and one of our prospects not named Bell, Meadows, Glasnow, Taillon, Kuhl, Berault. In return we get Seager and either Urias or Deleon.

My rationale: Cole is not a #1. Hopefully between the 4 kids that we have and the pitcher we get from the Dodgers; one of the will emerge as a #1 or we have a couple #2's.

The Dodgers are desperate right now with Kershaw a big question mark. Pirates would receive a perennial all star in Seager.

As far as this year goes; I just don't see Cole getting us past the wild card game.
PMike

Post by PMike »

Thanks for linking that. It was a really good read. Tough to argue with any of the points made.