potential free agent salaries for 2022

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

I was a little surprised to see in today's chat on MLB Trade rumors discussion of cost of Starling Marte.

Is a potential 3 year 60m contract for Starling Marte too steep?

Steve Adams

2:20 No. That's what the Marlins should've offered if they were serious about extending him. I think he can top three years and $60MM though -- four years at a bit lighter AAV should be out there from someone. Marte is 32, but he's still awesome.

If that is in the ballpark of what Marte can receive at age 32, do the Bucs even have a chance at extending Brian Reynolds? It may take over $25 million a year to keep him past his arbitration years.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

547273647262110 wrote: I was a little surprised to see in today's chat on MLB Trade rumors discussion of cost of Starling Marte.

Is a potential 3 year 60m contract for Starling Marte too steep?

Steve Adams

2:20 No. That's what the Marlins should've offered if they were serious about extending him. I think he can top three years and $60MM though -- four years at a bit lighter AAV should be out there from someone. Marte is 32, but he's still awesome.

If that is in the ballpark of what Marte can receive at age 32, do the Bucs even have a chance at extending Brian Reynolds?  It may take over $25 million a year to keep him past his arbitration years.
I see no realistic chance of extending Reynolds. He can get a boatload of money in arbitration. And if it would take 25 million to sign as a FA and even if the Pirates were willing to pay it, so would several other, better, more competitive teams. I don't see an incentive for Reynolds to take money to remain a Pirate that is the same or even less than he would be offered by other teams. The Pirates' only option would be to substantially overpay beyond what better teams would offer. And Nutting doesn't overpay. Far from it.
BenM

Post by BenM »

One huge unknown is the new CBA. If the owners and players do negotiate a cap/floor system Nutting will have to spend more money (almost fifty million more under the owner's proposal) on payroll.

I'd rather that go to extensions for Reynolds and Hayes than the pursuit of middling free agents.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Starling Marte?

Andrew McCutchen was willing to sign a very BOB-friendly extension, and the team wouldn't even see THAT contract through to its end.

Told me all that I needed to know.

Granted, that was under the previous general manager. There is the possibilty that the current one might go about it differently. But, to Bobster's point, I wouldn't count on it.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

655047474C7547474C4B47220 wrote: Starling Marte? 

Andrew McCutchen was willing to sign a very BOB-friendly extension, and the team wouldn't even see THAT contract through to its end. 

Granted, that was under the previous general manager.  There is the possibilty that the current one might go about it differently.  But, to Bobster's point, I wouldn't count on it.

Do you remember the specific numbers of the extension you're talking about?
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Jason Kendall's $60 million contract is still the largest ever given out by the Bucs.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Total- yes, Kendall's total contract (60 mil) remains the highest. The 10 mil AAV isn't.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

2B2E292F272D342920333538410 wrote: Starling Marte? 

Granted, that was under the previous general manager.  There is the possibilty that the current one might go about it differently.  But, to Bobster's point, I wouldn't count on it.

Do you remember the specific numbers of the extension you're talking about?

The team announced his new six-year contract today [March 5, 2012], which reportedly guarantees $51.5MM and has a seventh year club option.

Mar 5, 2012

#Pirates pay McCutchen 2012: $500k, 13:$4.5m, 14: $7.25m, 15: $10m, 16: $13m, 17: $14m. Option$14.75 or $1m buyout