Jon Lester bounce throw

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Jon Lester bounce throw

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Did you guys see that Jon Lester is working on a bounce throw to first base? Maybe to all the bases, not sure. He fielded a bunt and then bounced it over to Rizzo at 1B (there is video). I wonder if he will do that on pick offs too? That's what I first thought, but the article didn't specify.

This is just crazy to me. This guy can hit his target from the mound throwing 94 mph, but can't throw the ball to a base, a bigger target, when no pin point accuracy is needed. So weird.
SammyKhalifa

Jon Lester bounce throw

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I can't imagine that's very repeatable on natural surfaces.
Bobster21

Jon Lester bounce throw

Post by Bobster21 »

6C676F6366677C393F487169606767266B67080 wrote: Did you guys see that Jon Lester is working on a bounce throw to first base?  Maybe to all the bases, not sure.  He fielded a bunt and then bounced it over to Rizzo at 1B (there is video).  I wonder if he will do that on pick offs too?  That's what I first thought, but the article didn't specify.

This is just crazy to me.  This guy can hit his target from the mound throwing 94 mph, but can't throw the ball to a base, a bigger target, when no pin point accuracy is needed.  So weird.
It's in his head. Like Blass, Sasser, Sax, Knoblauch and Alvarez.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Jon Lester bounce throw

7A575A4B4C5D4A0A09380 wrote: Did you guys see that Jon Lester is working on a bounce throw to first base?  Maybe to all the bases, not sure.  He fielded a bunt and then bounced it over to Rizzo at 1B (there is video).  I wonder if he will do that on pick offs too?  That's what I first thought, but the article didn't specify.

This is just crazy to me.  This guy can hit his target from the mound throwing 94 mph, but can't throw the ball to a base, a bigger target, when no pin point accuracy is needed.  So weird.
It's in his head. Like Blass, Sasser, Sax, Knoblauch and Alvarez.

I agree. Those guys just lost it. Lester is at least pitching well and hitting his targets in that aspect.

Why, in theory, will it be easier for him to bounce it there? Isn't he looking at a target spot for his bounce?

What is Rizzo thinking: I have to catch bounce passes now?
iabucco

Jon Lester bounce throw

Post by iabucco »

I think the theory of bouncing it is partially that he will be distracted by bouncing it and also, will not worry about bouncing the throw. It might also take out of the equation, throwing it over Rizzo's head.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Jon Lester bounce throw

I guess that is one theory, but why wouldn't thinking about bouncing it perfectly distract him? That is a motion he never does and I would think more things need to go right to execute the bounce throw. What 1B wants to handle a scoop?

It's all weird. I can't wait for this to back fire. He will have to at least have one bad skip throw!

Ecbucs

Jon Lester bounce throw

Post by Ecbucs »

5D565E5257564D080E794058515656175A56390 wrote: I guess that is one theory, but why wouldn't thinking about bouncing it perfectly distract him?  That is a motion he never does and I would think more things need to go right to execute the bounce throw. What 1B wants to handle a scoop?

It's all weird.  I can't wait for this to back fire.  He will have to at least have one bad skip throw!

yeah, I would love to see this backfire. I hope the backfire happens at time to help the Pirates beat him.