Turner Ward

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Turner Ward

Post by Bobster21 »

As usual, last night the broadcast mentioned former Pirate Ward's famous catch running THROUGH the outfield wall. But does anyone else remember this other great Ward story?

As a Pirate in 1998, he PH and slapped a ball in front of the plate. This was on the artificial turf at TRS. After bouncing in front of the plate, the ball bounced up the middle and glanced sideways off the glove of the Braves' second baseman Tony Graffanino and into the OF. The deflection made the ball change direction and away from center fielder Andrew Jones who was charging to back up the play behind Graffanino. I remember watching the play and noticing no one backing up Jones. It scooted on the artificial turf of Three Rivers Stadium all the way to the wall as Ward circled the bases for an inside the park home run on a ball that began in front of home plate.

Here's an article. I forwarded this info to the Pirates last night and they going to look for the footage. I remember watching the game but I wonder if the film still exists.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/ ... 501be5ed5/