Bucs vs Cubbies - Game Thread - 9/5

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

My guess is that they hired the up-and-supposedly-coming (more accurately- garden variety LMG) manager to hold these LMG players together while BC finally gets around to sorting things out. The longer BC takes to sort things out, the longer we have this guy.

I highly doubt that more than a few better candidates hustled down to Federal Street to fill out applications. They can hire only the guys whp would agree to take the job if they were selected.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

683E283C332939323F281A3D373B333674395A0 wrote: They say managers have little effect on the game. Shelton doesn't have much to work with.

But this guy manages like he's getting suggestions on twitter [highlight]Yea don’t know what the plans are for Shelton moving forward[/highlight] but if Cherrington decided to make a complete overhaul of this coaching staff next season it would be hard not to justify it.

Is it possible that Shelton was hired as a sacrificial lamb?  BC had to know that the team would be this bad for a few years so he needed a guy to manage these bad teams.  That way, he can fire Shelton just before the young talent arrives under the premise that he didn’t do the job, and then hire the guy he really wants without having put him through this mess.

That’s definitely a possibility I think for sure. I think they will most likely give Shelton next season but after that all bets are off. I doubt he is managing this team in 2023 and 2024 when this team should be a lot better.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

11362723263B04302726263B420 wrote: Bad teams find bad ways to lose.  I’d like to say that these are the growing pains young teams go through but almost all of these guys won’t be here within two years. 
yeah in the post game show with Savrn and Capps, they are talking about this "growing pains" thing. Capps was remarkably critical about the pitchers giving leads right back because of walks.

But I was thinking the same thing....who are the guys that will be here?

It just started out so good. And Gamel's catch is so pointless now, would have been less gut punching had he not caught that ball You just gotta hope that this is as close to rock bottom as this franchise is gonna get the next few years. You gotta continue to hope as well that a lot of these guys now in the Minors that are currently with the Grasshoppers and Curve are up here by 2023 and that we start to see things slowly but surely turn the corner at that point. One more year of this kind of play while it will suck again will be expected more then likely but not after 2022. This team has to better and should be much better come 2023.

I’m expecting next year to be much like this one, at least through June. Then we’ll start to see some of the young talent come here to get their feet wet and a head start on 2023.
2drfischer@gmail.c

597E6F6B6E734C786F6E6E730A0 wrote: They say managers have little effect on the game. Shelton doesn't have much to work with.

But this guy manages like he's getting suggestions on twitter [highlight]Yea don’t know what the plans are for Shelton moving forward[/highlight] but if Cherrington decided to make a complete overhaul of this coaching staff next season it would be hard not to justify it.

Is it possible that Shelton was hired as a sacrificial lamb?  BC had to know that the team would be this bad for a few years so he needed a guy to manage these bad teams.  That way, he can fire Shelton just before the young talent arrives under the premise that he didn’t do the job, and then hire the guy he really wants without having put him through this mess.

That’s definitely a possibility I think for sure. I think they will most likely give Shelton next season but after that all bets are off. [highlight]I doubt he is managing this team in 2023 and 2024 when this team should be a lot better.[/highlight]

It would be a great disappointment if Shelton’s still here when the talent in the minor leagues arrive.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I had this team winning 54 games and finishing 54-108. I still think they will win 6 more games somehow but as bad as they get for certain stretches this season in a 10-14 day period like it seems to be where they lose 8-10 in a row or lose 10 out of 11 games if you told me to bet my house that they will win 6 more games I probably wouldn’t do it.
shedman

Post by shedman »

I expect next year to be bad and then the can will be kicked down the road until 2025 before we are any good. A long about 2026, they will fire Cherington and then we(those of us whpo are still living) will have to wait and see how the new GM does until 2030.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I should've jumped all over it when WWD wanted to bet me that we will finish 2022 better than the Cubs.

My only excuse is that I know that he will never pay up if I would have taken it.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

4E555859505C533D0 wrote: I expect next year to be bad and then the can will be kicked down the road until 2025 before we are any good.  A long about 2026, they will fire Cherington and then we(those of us whpo are still living) will have to wait and see how the new GM does until 2030.

We definitely need to see some major improvement in the starting rotation next season before I will feel any optimism, that's for sure.
2drfischer@gmail.c

475C515059555A340 wrote: I expect next year to be bad and then the can will be kicked down the road until 2025 before we are any good.  A long about 2026, they will fire Cherington and then we(those of us whpo are still living) [highlight]will have to wait and see how the new GM does until 2030.[/highlight]

Which will come sooner than your first ace.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

5F5A5D5B5359405D5447414C350 wrote: I expect next year to be bad and then the can will be kicked down the road until 2025 before we are any good.  A long about 2026, they will fire Cherington and then we(those of us whpo are still living) will have to wait and see how the new GM does until 2030.

We definitely need to see some major improvement in the starting rotation next season before I will feel any optimism, that's for sure.

I DNK what it'll take to improve my optimism, but it SAH won't be if he dumps his best power hitters, his best BA hitters, his best starters, or his best reliever for a bunch of suspects again.